Shot a huge buck, but need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot a huge buck, but need help

So I shot the biggest buck I have ever seen in person, but a freak thing happened. I hit him exactly where I aimed. He was quartering away slighty so I put it on his crease in his shoulder at the top of his heart. I hit him and he dropped (I didn't spine him). I tried to get another arrow in him but right before I could shoot again he got up and trotted off. All I ca figure is that it drove into his shoulder at an angle and shattered his shoulder blade. I left him and will go look in the morning. There was a puddle of blood where he dropped and there is drops of blood about twenty yards where he went. I didn't go any further. I shhot a Maxxis 31, 30"DL, 70lbs, axis arrows. I shoot hogs through both shoulders and get complete pass throughs. The arrow broke off about on inch behind the broadhead. Do ya'll think he will die? If the arrow would have went through it would have taken out both lungs. I know this because I saw exactly where I hit him. I am in Evant if anybody is around tomorrow.

Sounds dead to me.

Comment

You will find him in the morning!! Congrats!!!

Comment

I'd give him a couple hours then get a light. Coyotes are hunting too.

Comment

Sounds dead to me as well, you did the right thing by backing out

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
            Sounds dead to me.
            With 3" of penetration??? Or, am I confused by what he's saying. Prolly!!

Comment

Forgot to ask, How Big??

Comment

Sounds like a solid hit too me as well. Did it sound like he keep running, or did you just just lose sight of him. Did you shoot it in Evant or is that where you are located because I don't see Hamilton county in your list of place to hunt.

Comment

Man that bites. What did the blood look like at the puddle. Was it frothy and light colored? Or dark colored and cloded? Sounds like a good hit. I think you made the right decision by backing off. If the shot is like you just described he shouldnt go far. I believe you will find him or whats left of him in the morning.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
                    Sounds dead to me as well, you did the right thing by backing out
                    x2

Comment

Good Luck !!! Hope you find him soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                        With 3" of penetration??? Or, am I confused by what he's saying. Prolly!!
                        The way I read it it sounds like it hit the off shoulder and then broke behind the broad head meaning it's still in him?

Comment

he isnt bleeding out on the ground on the trail because he is probally bleeding internaly,if you got him good,it wont take long

Comment

He is an eight point about 21" wide. My lease crosses through Hamilton and Coryell. Yess the arrow broke off about an inch behind the broudhead. I'm just worried because of that video of the deer that got hit in the elbow. The guy shot right were the heart was but it hit his elbow joint and just wounded the deer.

Comment

The arrow was sticking out of him a good ways. I am sick at my stomach.

Comment

Working...
                              X