Land in the mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land in the mountains

So my goal for retirement is to escape this Texas heat and build a cabin in the Rockies. Stay in Texas September through May, then escape into the mountains.

Requirements:

1. A state and city that is ok with my scary lil AR friends and other relatives.

2. Not super liberal

3. No crazy taxes

4. Access to utilities. Not a requirement but would be nice.

5. Not about 85 degrees in the daytime and not above 70 at night.

Looking for 1 - ? acres. Ideally near public lands.

Really open on anything in NM, WY, MT, ID, east Washington. Thoughts? ideas?

I’m in. Sounds like heaven.

Comment

Following. Have been doing the same. Recently looked at Silver Cliffe, CO

Alpine, WY is a hike but we love it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Better have lots of money.

Or go deeper in the mountains with no utilities. I bet everyone is looking for what you described.

Comment

I imagine you left off CO bc, liberals.

However, I think there are a lot places you can be, away from that CS-Fort Collins strip that are plenty “not lib”.

Comment

Thats our dream as well and my oldest wants to go to school at School of Mines,
            so I pick around a lot looking at properties. Came across this one today, only negative is off the grid. Or is that a negative. lol

Comment

Lincoln County, NM. Very conservative here.

Comment

I’d love to get half acre or so that backs up to national park and start paying on it.

Comment

I would build a cabin on the outskirts of Pagosa Springs tomorrow if I could talk the wifey into living there during the hot summer months. No doubt about it.

Comment

Don’t forget to look to the East. Southeastern,Tx, northern Georgia. Basically the Smokey mountain area. Another area to look at is the upper Peninsula of Lake Michigan.

Comment

We lived outside of Florence Colorado in the Wet Mountains. Had mule deer, bear, lion, badger , turkeys, Fox. It was great. We lived at 6,100 ft. Now remember, your a mile closer to the sun. It can 30 degrees outside and your shoveling snow and sweating your tail off. And getting sun burned as well.
                      Most of Colorado is conservative; however, the voting block is controlled in Denver and Boulder. We lived 39 miles west of Pueblo off of highway 50 towards Florence. Lots of pot farms, lots of “sovereign” citizens, lots of homelessness in the big cities. We lived in a gated subdivision with 35 acre lots. No problems at all. Locke Mountain Estates was the name of it. I hated coming back down here to the heat and mosquitos. Sux.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
                        Don’t forget to look to the East. Southeastern,Tx, northern Georgia. Basically the Smokey mountain area. Another area to look at is the upper Peninsula of Lake Michigan.
                        I would love to have a lake house in Eastern Tennessee. Somewhere East of Knoxville.

Comment

1. Idaho
                          2. Montana
                          3. Wyoming
                          Look at least a couple of hours from largest cities or vacation areas.

Comment

For us the grass ended up being greener.

700 mile moves with 64 years of stuff ain't easy.

Good luck finding someplace that makes you happy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have another year, my wife's sister and bro-in-law will be selling their's in Island Park, ID next year. They spend the summers up there, and we have visited every Sept but this year. It is directly across fro the fish hatchery on Henry's Lake. Two bedroom two bath and a cool cabin with lots of history. Check out Joseph Sheridan at Henry's Lake. They took this 1930's era log cabin down to the walls and studs and rebuilt/enlarged it. They have seen bear and a moose in their yard, and it is 10-15 miles either direction to some of the best trour fishing in the US. I can send pictures if you get serious, but thay plan on one more summer before selling. It is 10 miles or so from the Montana border.

Comment

Working...
                              X