Elk hunting boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk hunting boots

Headed to the mountains come September. Looking for the best boot for putting on the miles. Looking forward to hearing your recommendations!

Thanks in advance,

Killa

I like my Crispi Boots lasted 2 seasons in the mountains so far

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Russell's

Comment

^^Several great ones out there
        Check out Kenetrek also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve killed two elk in the last few years in Merrell’s bought at Academy.

Being comfortable is key. I feel like I can hike 10 miles everyday in those Merrell’s.

My second pair are Vasque and are almost as comfortable as the Merrell’s.

I also take a pair of Kennetreks for a backup.

Comment

Go somewhere you can try on a bunch. I had a limited budget and was pretty set on the Danner Pronghorns, but they just didn’t fit me right on the heel. I ended up buying some Columbia Terrabonne II’s and I’ve liked them so far. Held up good for me. At least 150 mountain miles on them. I’m planning on getting something with a little more ankle support. Find what fits you, get some insoles, and start breaking them in.
            Last edited by Jared.King; 04-19-2020, 09:11 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
              Go somewhere you can try on a bunch. I had a limited budget and was pretty set on the Danner Pronghorns, but they just didn’t fit me right on the heel. I ended up buying some Columbia Terrabonne II’s and I’ve liked them so far. Held up good for me. At least 150 mountain miles on them. I’m planning on getting something with a little more ankle support. Find what fits you, get some insoles, and start breaking them in.

I agree with this completely. Go try a bunch on and see what works. Meindls were highly recommended to me by some elk hunter friends and I was dead set to buy some. Tried them on and they didn't feel right. Ended up buying Danner's and couldn't be happier. Hunted Montana snow for 10 days all day and not a problem. Plus they were about $100 cheaper than the Meindl

Comment

I have been really happy with my Salomons. I think they are the Quest 4D or something like that. I have put a lot of miles on them on a few backpacking trips in National Parks, and one week long elk hunt last September, plus some local hiking. Probably 80-100 miles on them at least if I had to guess, and a ton of life left in them.

Comment

Danner Gila

Comment

Plenty of threads on this topic if you use the search function.

Spent 7 days chasing bulls in WY last fall with my Lowa Renegades. So completely comfortable despite freezing temps, walking in snow, and the occasional creek pass.
                    Last edited by HoustonHunter; 04-19-2020, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Whatever fits your foot!

I’ve had danners, Irish setters, and Merrel so far.... I keep making the mistake of buying boots that “fit pretty well” then after 3-4 days at 10-15 miles a day I’m regretting my decision not to take the time to find the perfect boot! This year I promise I will try on 100 boots if I have to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
                        I have been really happy with my Salomons. I think they are the Quest 4D or something like that. I have put a lot of miles on them on a few backpacking trips in National Parks, and one week long elk hunt last September, plus some local hiking. Probably 80-100 miles on them at least if I had to guess, and a ton of life left in them.
                        Try a bunch as mentioned and see what fits & feels good. If you get a chance try on some Salomons like mentioned above. I have a pair I bought to use up in Colorado two years ago.

The Quest 4Ds are very comfortable and really support the foot & ankle. Mine are really starting to get torn up but I probably have over 1000 miles on them since I use them for work. Best boot I have ever worn.

Comment

I have the quest 4 d by soloman. I wore them 1 time before going to Colorado . I put probably 50 miles on them with no problems.

Comment

i put about 70-80 miles of hiking on my crispi's last year, they are lite and comfortable.

Comment

Started going lighter for boots over the last 2 years. Danner mountain light 2s stay in the closet. I will be in Altra Lone Peaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X