Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol Deb I forgot that he mentioned 3d....I would take that as my method wouldn't be in the rules?

Comment

For the record I've never been to a 3d shoot I am hoping to make Chester

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
        For the record I've never been to a 3d shoot I am hoping to make Chester
        I hope you do, its a great shoot. No cheat sheet taped to your bow though.

Comment

You guys are making this too complicated for using gap for hunting. I never think about distance or what gap I will use for a shot. The bow just goes where the point is where it is supposed to be automatically. It's a lot like instinctive but you actually see the arrow.

If I was going to shoot 3d using gap I would close one eye and actually aim, using the point as a sight and really think over the yardages. For hunting I think that is just too complicated and would be slow to get a shot off.

Comment

Originally posted by M-2 View Post
            Gene, do you and Tanya (and Jeff and Rachel) gap shoot? I'm still trying to figure out how all of y'all got so gooooood!
            I know the original Archery Goddesses, Lisa and Sheryl, use this method with great success. They told me they started out laying rocks at specific distances and practiced often enough to where they KNEW exactly what the distance to a target was. I'll never have (or make) the time to figure this out myself, lol.
            No we don't. I have tried it several times but I don't like it. That being said I do know what my point on is so I can shoot farther distances. I agree with alot of what Draco has stated but it does take alot of practice.

Comment

Draco, I tried this method and my arrows consistently hit to the right of the vertical line. Basically at 10 yards I aim 12" low and about 3" to the left to hit dead center. I am compensating by aiming to the left but is this normal? Also, will canting affect this in any way? You appear to be canting in the first pic. Thanks.

Comment

You should try to get your arrows in horizontal alignment with what your trying to hit Lefty. You may need to try stiffer shafts or a lighter point weight or maybe adjusting your fistmele. You will have to ask Rick about the fistmele adjustment as I've been doing it wrong for the last 45 years.

Comment

Thanks for the help Draco. I will play around with my arrows and see if I can get it worked out. I am not familiar with fistmele but will do a search and see what I find that may help.

Comment

I think Fistmele = brace height?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
                      Draco, I tried this method and my arrows consistently hit to the right of the vertical line. Basically at 10 yards I aim 12" low and about 3" to the left to hit dead center. I am compensating by aiming to the left but is this normal? Also, will canting affect this in any way? You appear to be canting in the first pic. Thanks.
                      There is a great section on canting in the "Become The Arrow" book by Byron Ferguson and, yes; according to his statements and diagrams, canting will help this. Apparently there is a degree of cant that the bow will dictate and his method will help you determine that.

Of course, it could be one of the issues Draco mentioned as well

J.P.

Comment

Excellent post Draco.

As Deb said - your head position & anchor are almost exactly like mine, except I anchor one finger higher, and use my middle finger at the corner of my mouth instead of the index Finger.

I shoot canted, and the method works just as well canted as it does shooting the bow vertical.

I also shoot right handed, but am left eye dominant. I shoot left eye closed, and have no problem with it at all. I draw & anchor with both eyes open to set my depth perception, but then close the left eye, make the slight windage adjustment required, and leterrip.

Works very well for me, and I have never seen it explained in a better way than this.

Rick

Comment

That is exactly what a friend of mine does Rick. Just a split second before he hits anchor, the eye closes and the shot is gone. He is an excellent shot I might add.

The cant is needed to make up for anchoring on the side of our faces. As the bow is canted, our eye moves to the right, the arrow to the left. This is what we have to do to center the back of the arrow under our eye so we are looking right down the arrow shaft. Other wise we would have to anchor in the center of our mouth and not in the corner and the string would be on the tip of our nose like target archers.

Comment

Glad this got bumped. Reads very well and is very teachable. I only shoot compound, but teach kids finger shooting on a Genesis with no sight. I had tried to explain gap aiming in my own words, but this makes it a lot easier. Thanks muchly!!

Comment

I know this thread has been here a while but I found it very helpful! I have been trying to shoot instinctively and sometimes at 35 yds I have 2 arrows 2" apart (luck) and other times at 10 yds I have 2 arrows 9" apart. If I didn't burn a hole through the target or if I got distracted a sit second before the shot, who knows where the arrow would go. I just tried this tonight and after a slight modification to my anchor. I am rubbing feathers and they are going where I want them too! This is too cool.

Thanks Draco for posting this. The pictures really brought it all together!

Comment

I do not gap shoot but this sounds reasonable and obviously works. One thing I have seen gappers do when they hunt from a blind is to put out yardage markers. Rocks or sticks at 15-20-30 & 40 yards. I have shot so many arrows I no longer think about how I do it. If I ever do, I usually miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X