How I sharpen a bunch of knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I sharpen a bunch of knives

One of the less-fun parts of the knifemaking process is sharpening a whole bunch of knives at once. I've been busting my tail for the show, and have 15 to sharpen today.

Here's a picture set about how I sharpen a bunch of knives at one time. If you're going to do a bunch, you need a system. I have these knives set out on an ironing board Each is set beside the sheath it goes with. They're all pointed the same direction. As I move one off the grinder at a stage, I flip it over. That way if I have to walk away, I know where I am in the process.

I use trizact belts on my grinder to cut the initial bevel. 160 for the first cut, then 400 before I go to the stones. If the light is right, you can see the burr form on each grit if you have it right.

After all of the knives have been done on the grinder up to 400, I move to the stones. I set them in my vise, so the hight is comfortable and the base is stable. I use 600 then 1000 stones, then strop. I also check the sharpness on my ankles or shoulders, so that my forearms aren't bald. Tricks of the trade

Good system you got there!

Comment

Looks like you have the "tricks Of the trade" down pat.

Comment

What's one like #2 from the left cost?
        Looks like what I'm looking for, can it be done in mesquite?

Comment

Great system. Good looking knives too. I typically have my hunting knives professionally sharpened once a year then maintain it throughout season with my ceramic sticks.

Comment

Working...
          X