Final Table Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Table Brisket

I make final table at nearly every contest I enter by using this method. Ocasionally I win or place.

First off pick out a brisket that is very flexable. In other words you pick it up and it bends easy. Start fire in pit. I prefer oak. Trim brisket of all exess membrane on lean side. Cut out hard section of fat on lean side up by point. This fat will never render so cut it out. Rince meat well and pat dry with paper towels.
    Rub down entire brisket with Worschestire sauce. Then rub in well recipe below.
    RUB:
    2 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
    1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
    3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
    3/4 teaspoon ground savory
    3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    3/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3/4 teaspoon white pepper
    2 tablespoons paprika
    2 teaspoons dry mustard
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 table spoons Kosher salt

Get the coals right/fire right and at 225 degrees. If you are going to place the brisket directly on the grating put it on fat side down. This will protect the lean from the heat of your fire and keep it from drying out. I cook it at a constant 225 degrees for 50 minutes per pound or an internal tempurature of 185 degrees. Take it off and wrap in towel and place in ice chest with out ice of course for about 1/2 hour. Then remove and slice.
    Cooking in this method produces a much desired "bark" on the out side of the meat. The meat will be extreemly juicy and ooohhh so good.

If you insist on cooking with fat side up (which is not neccessary but I can not convince the back yard Q'er of this) I strongly recommend placing meat on a rack inside a large foil type pan. The rack will keep the meat out of the drippings and the pan will protect the meat from the heat of the fire.

Note: I do not advocate wraping brisket in aluminum foil at any time durring the cooking process. The reason is once you wrap it in foil two things happen. Number one you stop the BBQ process and enter into a steaming process. Number two it makes for a washed out tasting brisket. Making it kinda taste like a pot roast. You aint BBQin to make a pot roast. You're BBQin to make good Texas BBQed flavored meat

ENJOY

What type of wood grill are you using, one with a firebox or are you just using indirect heat in a regular grill?

Comment

sotx

sounds like a great brisket recipe. i can't wait to try. i 'm an old brisket cooker from way back when. but, you forgot to tell everybody you must
      buy the left side of the cow brisket for the tenderest, j/k. i used to work with a butcher in high school . he would display brisket lt and rt side and
      people fell for it and he sold more lt than rt sided. what a crook he was.....

take care wd

Comment

I am going to try this one tomorrow. The no foil thing has me a little worried, and I don't think I can bring myself to cook fat down, but I am going to try it anyway.

Comment

sotx,thanks for the rub reciepe,it turned out great.

Comment

Giving it a try today. Man, that rub smelled so darn good that I ate some of it on a piece of toast w/ butter. It was awesome!!

Comment

SOTX,
              That is one fine recipe right there! Strangely, my grill preferred the 225 over my usual 250 degrees for smoking. The smoke can draw folks for miles around. I prepared two of them exactly the same except one fat down and one fat up. They were both exceptional. The wrap in a towel and place in an ice chest is so important for the final result. I shared the meal with the family and several of our neighbors. All ages and sizes enjoyed the wonderful meat. I sliced the remainder, vacuum sealed, and plan on freezing for a quick easy treat. Thanks again for taking the time to share your recipe.

Comment

Whats the towel an ice chest do for the brisket?

Other than of course extending the beer drinking!
                Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I did this a month ago. All of those fancy spices are expensive!!
                  A little too sweet for my tastes, but a good starting point (for me). Thanks

Comment

This sounds like a great rub!! I do usually use the foil method, but I will have to give this a try and see how it comes out. It does make sense that its more like steaming it than BBQing it. Serioulsy why do you wrap it in a towel and put it in the ice chest? Just so it can cook a little more or I duno??? A little help here. . .

Comment

The towel and put in an ice chest is just resting the meat. This is a must for good brisket or ribs. I usually wrap it in foil and put it in an ice chest. I try to let a brisket rest for at least 2 hours and ribs for an hour.

Comment

George, I've used this "method" a couple times now and it is perfect, as far as the amount of bark that I prefer, and very low maintenace.

I have NOT, however used your rub. I do intend to change that on Sunday. My question is.....how many briskets can I expect to rub down with the amounts in your recipe?

Comment

Made me a double batch of this rub last night, minus the savory......couldn't find any.

Smells/taste good, can't wait to heat it up on Sunday.

Comment

1 maybe 2. If going big I usually make 6 times as much. Good luck.

Comment

Roger that, we'll be doing 3 briskets and I'll use the leftovers on a rack of ribs or two.

I can almost smell the hickory burnin........

Comment

Working...
                              X