Turtle trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turtle trap

So, a buddy of mine is having problems with turtles eating his fish food, and possibly eating the small catfish he just stocked so I helped him with the wooden ramp, and he just sent me pics of the wire he just finished.

Hopefully this will cut down his turtle problem, the 22 wasn’t cutting it.

If your not familiar with this trap, just use your imagination and think what happens when you drive up to a pond and the turtles are sun bathing on a log, what do they do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That will work!
    Also a 2x4 square with nails driven in at an angle....
    They slide
    Over the nails to get to apple
    Slices floating the in wooden square frame. Once they get the apple slices, they can’t get back out.

Comment

Please ask him to send pics when he pulls it up!

Comment

Now that is pretty cool.

Comment

Looks good. I found a small red eared slider at my house one day. I put it in a 5 gallon bucket to take to a pond. I went inside for 5 minutes to get kids, keys, wife, etc... and the turtle somehow escaped the bucket.

Comment

I built one out of a tire with a cage on the bottom of it. Word of advise, just leave it out there. If you pull it in after it has been out there a while it will stink something awful. Its a different kind of stink too!

Comment

Ok. so the trap is actually upside down. When they dive they can only go so far within the trap or because of the wire

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                X2

Comment

Looks good. TBHr The Texan has one that the ramps swivel and dump the turtle into the box. We’ve pulled out 10+ at a time before, very effective.

Comment

Results will come this weekend

Comment

Should work as long as the basket is deep enough

Comment

I believe they will be able to get high enough in the water to climb back out on that board. So while no one is around they may be able to come and go. But if they are sitting on that board when some one arrives( scares them) they will dive in to the basket. I built one just about like that then tried a board that what would tilt, slide them in the basket. But they still where able to climb out. So I made a pedastal out of the wire that was about as high as your board is. Fastened to the bottom of the cage. Then zip tied a piece of meat on top of it. Oh yea mine had wire ramps so they could climb out of the water up onto the PVC ( three inch) then when they dove in the basket to get the meat they can not get back out. Caught a lot more once I started doing it this way. And once one is in there it really attracts others. I believe the most we have had a one time has been eight. Had far better luck catching others by leaving one in the trap.
                        Last edited by critter69; 07-09-2018, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post

^^This^^

Comment

Interesting.....in for pics!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

She is deployed. Weighted, with a string attached for the reel in

Comment

Working...
                              X