Clear All

1 head of cabbage cut up
    2 quarts home canned tomatoes, drained
    1 12 oz can tomatoes sauce
    1 cup sugar
    2 cans ro-tel
    2 packages of kielbasa cut to 3 in lengths
    put in crockpot can cook til done
    Last edited by mnsmokepole; 01-24-2010, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ckuehl View Post
      How do you know when the Cabbage is cooked?
      When the cabbage has wilted down and is tender....

Comment

brown some hamburger meat or in my case some ground deer,make a pot of rice,stirfry some some cabbage with rotel tomatoes and (onions(optional),jalapenos are good too,once the cabbage is tender add the rice and meat be sure to mix it up good then pour into serving dish

Comment

Thank you RZ

Comment

And thank you for your dedication and compassion in the FD.

Comment

Originally posted by ckuehl View Post
              And thank you for your dedication and compassion in the FD.
              Thanks Ckuehl,

I finished my last tour of duty on Dec. 31 of 07..... Boy do i miss it. I put in 33 years total service with 2 different departments.... I really appreciate your compliment. God Bless all our men and women in uniform.....

Comment

sounds great im hungry

Comment

I cook this at work and at the deer camp. Really good on a cold night!

This recipe will feed 6-8 people...give or take 2....lol.

Cabbage Stew
                  • 5 heads cabbage chopped
                  • 1# salt bacon cut up
                  • 1-2# deer hamb or chili
                  • 1 family size Rotel
                  • 1 family size Italian style tomatoes
                  • 1 large tomato sauce
                  • 2 cans hominy (I use yellow) DRAINED
                  • 2 cans pinto or kidney beans DRAINED and RINSED
                  • Onion & Garlic
                  • Salt & Pepper
                  • Tonys

Brown the bacon, onion and garlic. Add hamb/chili meat and continue browning. Chop the cabbage and add a little at a time as it cooks down til it's all in. Then add the Rotel, Italian tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, and hominy. Season to your taste. Get a good simmering going for bout 1 1/2-2 hrs...stirring occasionally so it doesnt stick. Add a big pan of hot buttered cornbread. ENJOY!

PS....If you want more meat, add a couple chopped up pork chops when you're browning the bacon and onion.

Comment

KCK's Bohemian Cabbage

1lb peppered bacon cut into 1 1/2" long pieces. Get the bacon rendered down to where you could eat it, but still chewy then add a bunch of green onions diced, and 1 red onion chopped (discliamer:The red onion is something I added and not sanctioned, or approved by the afforementioned square-head). Cook the onion for a minute or three, then dump in two heads of chopped cabbage. Keep stirring and turning over, and adding salt as you go. Don't be afraid of the salt, and I add copious ammounts of fresh ground black pepper. If you start to run short on oil you can add olive oil, just depends how fat the bacon is. I like to cook most of the crunch out of the cabbage, so the thick pieces crunch, but not the thin ones.

Best served with a big rare ribeye, and cold beer. I've cooked this all over the place, for all types of people since Casey showed it to me........and EVERYONE comes back for more.

Comment

I like to layer mine with onion and pieces of honey baked ham then steam them. A little salt and pepper when they hit the plate and I'm good.

Comment

Working...
                      X