No announcement yet.

Rusty style DIY power hammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super cool. I bet the neighbors love it too!

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
      Super cool. I bet the neighbors love it too!
      My neighbor across the street said his wife told him "I think their air conditioner's going out or something."

I try to be courteous, only run it between about 10a and 5p, typically on weekends. Is it loud, and different? Of course. Is it worse than a lawnmower or chainsaw? Not really. It's half a day about every other month.

Comment

No judgment or offense meant. It was just a quick joke. I’m sure you are a thoughtful neighbor. I sincerely admire your engineering skill. Good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Excited to see it work!

Comment

So I bought a book published in the '90's called "Pounding out the Profits." It's a technical overview of the development of power hammers in the United States, and covers the design modifications of at least 100 different hammer types. From reading the book, there are a few modifications to my initial design that might be helpful. Guess I've got something to do next weekend after all, lol. I'm going to try and make the position of the toggle on the back end of the spring adjustable. If I can move the connection further toward the pivot point, the hammer should hit a little harder. Probably have to adjust the length of the pitman to make that work. I also thought of a better way to do the ram guides, but probably won't modify this one. I'll just fix it on the next one Also thought of some better ways to fasten the bottom dies than I've done so far, so I may have to fix that next time they break loose.

Comment

TTT.
              I have gained a lot of interest on this subject lately. What is now going on with this dandy? Any new updates?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Still going well four years later. Latest revision was to just weld the bottom die plate straight to the anvil. Have to fix little things here and there, but no major malfunctions.

Comment

Working...
                X