Unit 78 Colorado Elk hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unit 78 Colorado Elk hunting

wondering if anyone has bowhunted elk in unit 78 east of Pagosa Springs. I am hoping to get in touch with someone who has first hand knowledge. I have done fairly extensive research on statistics, studying maps and so forth. I have an opportunity to spend some time with a close friend that is buying a small tract on Hwy 160 that backs up to the SJ National Forest. Am considering packing in for 5 or 6 miles and spending as many days hunting out of my pack. Will be heading up following a NM private land hunt in the second half of September. Appreciate any input. Thanks!
    Last edited by top pin; 07-20-2011, 11:18 AM. Reason: correct grammar

Originally posted by top pin View Post
    wondering if anyone has bowhunted elk in unit 78 east of Pagosa Springs. I am hoping to get in touch with someone who has first hand knowledge. I have done fairly extensive research on statistics, studying maps and so forth. I have an opportunity to spend some time with a close friend that is buying a small tract on Hwy 160 that backs up to the SJ National Forest. Am considering packing in for 5 or 6 miles and spending as many days hunting out of my pack. Will be heading up following a NM private land hunt in the second half of September. Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Never hunted there but I have spent quite a bit of time around the Williams Creek and Poison Park trails. Lots of elk hang around the Poison Park trailhead in the summer, not for sure how things change once folks start shootin at'em.

I also am planning a backpack Colorado hunt in September and 78 is one of two units I am looking at. I would probably hunt the Weminuche Wilderness instead of the South San Juan though. From my research, 78 has a lot of elk, good success rates, but low Bull/cow ratio right? The other area I am looking at has lower success rates and populations but supposedly a higher bull/cow ratio. I can't make up my mind!

Comment

well, I'm gonna try and drop in off of the East fork of the San Juan and hunt up the west side of Quarts Ridge. I think that will get me away from dirt bikes and 4x4's, and other hunters that for the most part probably will not hike in 5 miles to get off of the roads. This is kinda all of a sudden developing. Talked with a local ranger/game warden and he said the elk herd in 78 was respectable. I think the trick will be to get high enough. Fortunately I have been training for the the NM trip otherwise it's doubtful I would be in good enough shape to do this. I still plan on taking it easy though. See you are in Montgomery.

Comment

well, I'm gonna try and drop in off of the East fork of the San Juan and hunt up the west side of Quarts Ridge. I think that will get me away from dirt bikes and 4x4's, and other hunters that for the most part probably will not hike in 5 miles to get off of the roads. This is kinda all of a sudden developing. Talked with a local ranger/game warden and he said the elk herd in 78 was respectable. I think the trick will be to get high enough. Fortunately I have been training for the the NM trip otherwise it's doubtful I would be in good enough shape to do this. I still plan on taking it easy though. See you are in Montgomery.
        If I do end up hunting up there I would be a few mile north of you. If I do decide to go to that unit would you be interested in truck pooling? Would be nice to switch off driving and share gas. I probably won't be going to 78 but may change my mind.

Oh yeah, I used to live in Montgomery until my house sold a month or so ago. I know live in Houston, but I don't claim it.

Comment

When do you think you'll be going?

Comment

When do you think you'll be going?
            Leaving the 16th (September) and coming back the 25 most likely. What were your plans?

Comment

Unit 78

Hey top pin, You will have a few hunters in that same area I've hunted that area many times hard area to do on foot.What dates you going? Pm me an I can give you some pointers. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X