Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody effected by these steel/aluminum tarrifs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody effected by these steel/aluminum tarrifs?

I know we have a lot of guys here that buy lathes and welding tables and whatnot so I'm sure you buy tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in raw materials.

How will this effect your pricing and profit margins?
    Especially for the jobs you've already bid on/accepted but have yet to purchase the raw materials for.

On the one hand I'm glad he's curbing all that foreign material from coming in and I'll gladly pay an extra nickel per 6 pack of natty light (or love street).
    But on the other hand I know many others will feel the pinch really bad.

This goes in line with Trump's tariffs on foreign pipe last year.
    Hmmmm

I don't know yet. History has proven to me when steel prices go past a point, lumber starts to be a more preferred building material in some applications. Then, of course, lumber prices will increase, then steel will once again be preferred. Kind of a see saw effect, if you will.

Obviously, this is for the steel construction industry I'm referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
      I don't know yet. History has proven to me when steel prices go past a point, lumber starts to be a more preferred building material in some applications. Then, of course, lumber prices will increase, then steel will once again be preferred. Kind of a see saw effect, if you will.

Obviously, this is for the steel construction industry I'm referring to.
      I'd LOVE that!
      I need timber to rise so u can sell what little I have
      I only knew of an increase in new home builds raising the price of timber but this commercial building angle is another good one.

But again, I'm all for trump protecting our natural resources via tariffs.
      I know car tires have a steep tariff on them too in order to prevent Chinese and European tire companies from putting goodyear and cooper out of business.

Comment

Bring it! There will still be demand. And still gotta do it. There will just be adjustments, just like in the stock-market.

Comment

My business uses a LOT of aluminum and some steel. Pretty simple to adjust pricing to maintain necessary profit margins. MUCH easier than attempting to adjust prices to compete with manufacturers using illegal labor.

Comment

Since aluminum is so highly recyclable I'd like him to increase the redemption value on aluminum cans to encourage more recycling which is better for the environment and also reduces our dependency on foreign aluminum.
            Although I don't know the numbers that recycled cans plays a part in the overall aluminum trade But I do know that dependence on foreign aluminum was around 10% in 2012 and sits around 54% today.
            Last edited by texansfan; 03-04-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I hope it doesn't affect knife making steel. Most if not all I buy is USA made so maybe I won't take too big a hit. The good knife grade high carbon tool steels are already high enough. I'll bet some of that crucible steel from Europe will be even more outrageous x10.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                I hope it doesn't affect knife making steel. Most if not all I buy is USA made so maybe I won't take too big a hit. The good knife grade high carbon tool steels are already high enough. I'll bet some of that crucible steel from Europe will be even more outrageous x10.
                Wow.
                Forgot about you guys.
                Some of y'all work wonders with Damascus

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                  I'd LOVE that!
                  I need timber to rise so u can sell what little I have
                  I
                  There's no crying in baseball, and there's no timberland in Littlefield!

Comment

Last edited by texansfan; 03-04-2018, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Flying out to China next week and will know how this will affect my business.
                      I'm all for it by the way.

Comment

Tariffs

Back before Donny was elected I asked on here about tariffs and almost everyone told me they're bad. So... either this is a bad idea or Hell had a cold spell several years ago when Obama had a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                          Back before Donny was elected I asked on here about tariffs and almost everyone told me they're bad. So... either this is a bad idea or Hell had a cold spell several years ago when Obama had a good idea.
                          What tariffs did Obama propose?

Comment

I mentioned it up above
                            Those Chinese tires in like 2011/2012

Comment

Think it was on tires from China at 35% duty in 2008. but was later removed in 2012.

Comment

Working...
                              X