SHNF 17-18 ( the real deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
    I should have been hunting already but life gets in the way. I bought a new welder so I have been in the garage making stuff instead of shooting my bow. Gun season starts October 11. I already got some shooting lanes cleared out. Not a ton of deer, but very nice to know that I am by myself and I don't have to pay. I hope you guys have a great season. I've been lurking, just not posting much.
    Eddie, Hope you have a great season! Are you hunting on your own property?

Comment

I just have to say, this thread always reminds me that the hard way is very rewarding. I hunted the north side of the lake for many years, only harvested deer a few times. One of my most memorable kills was an old nanny that busted me for several years. She had an unmistakeable scar on her neck/back. Even when I was down wind and did everything right, sometimes I thought maybe she spent all day blowing and snorting at nothing, and maybe the others quit listening to her. I'm on a family lease now so I rarely get to the Sam, but I miss it. Fortunately the natives around our lease keep our success rates about the same by hunting year round, driving their lifted atv's by my stand, and allowing their dogs to run the property at will. Love the time around the campfire with family, though.

This setup is on a remote trail that dead ends at my feeder/camera, marked with hot pink sign with my name on it. Absolutely no reason for anyone to pass by it, except to get their dogs that bayed a pig in the bottoms.

Comment

Show the pictures to the GW's in your area. They probably know the people on the atv's. It's called trespassing!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
          I just have to say, this thread always reminds me that the hard way is very rewarding. I hunted the north side of the lake for many years, only harvested deer a few times. One of my most memorable kills was an old nanny that busted me for several years. She had an unmistakeable scar on her neck/back. Even when I was down wind and did everything right, sometimes I thought maybe she spent all day blowing and snorting at nothing, and maybe the others quit listening to her. I'm on a family lease now so I rarely get to the Sam, but I miss it. Fortunately the natives around our lease keep our success rates about the same by hunting year round, driving their lifted atv's by my stand, and allowing their dogs to run the property at will. Love the time around the campfire with family, though.

This setup is on a remote trail that dead ends at my feeder/camera, marked with hot pink sign with my name on it. Absolutely no reason for anyone to pass by it, except to get their dogs that bayed a pig in the bottoms.
          Man it'd sure be a shame for them to wake up to an ATV with no wheels [emoji23], I mean, how coincidental. Those wheels have a mind of their own sometimes ya know

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess there is no advice here for newbies. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
              Im in for this year. First time. Never been to SHNF.

Any advice on hunting out there? Places to stay? Etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
              Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
              Go far away from the road, scout in advance, not after the season starts, and sit late. Granted, if you're gonna hunt it this year you better get some scouting in soon. Oak patches and Creek beds can serve you well if you look in the right places. Some of this info may seem common sense, but you'd be surprised how stupid people can be hunting public land. Disclaimer: I'm no expert, just my two cents.

Thanks
              Does anyone have any good maps of SHNF and ideas to stay nearby?

Or any ideas which area to hunt for a 1st timer to SHNF?

thanks!!!

Manny
              Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
              Hey Manny, Conroe has a few hotels on I-45, their are a few in Huntsville on I-45.
              So, What do you call the above? Lol

Comment

Dang it I forgot the last one!

Comment

Go scout. Focus on creeks for now. Think outside the box. Don't be afraid to go a mile in. Have a gps or service on your phone. Easy to get turned around in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                    Go scout. Focus on creeks for now. Think outside the box. Don't be afraid to go a mile in. Have a gps or service on your phone. Easy to get turned around in there.

Also don't forget your bag of corn at the truck

Comment

Three more nights of sleep, Till the opener!! I've got one thing to get today. Some Scent Away!!

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

Ill be scouting there next weekend

Comment

Get out there and scout find a well used trail, or a good food source, or some good buck sign, got to get your boots on the ground and start walking and looking.

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
                            Eddie, Hope you have a great season! Are you hunting on your own property?
                            I have a friend with about 100 acres. 1/2 pasture for his cows. He doesn't allow hunting and rarely hunts himself. He is my dad's age. I helped HIS dad out with some farming help when he was down. He told me I could hunt as repayment. That was about 22 years ago. The old man is dead, but I still help around the farm as much as I can. My friend always says he doesn't want to put me out, but I try to explain that he has no idea how much him letting me hunt and work his land is worth to me. It is about a 2 hour drive from here, but only about 30 min from my parents, so I get down there often.

Comment

Eddie that sounds good. Any decent deer there? Been messing with any cars lately?

Comment

SHNF 17-18 ( the real deal)

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                                Also don't forget your bag of corn at the truck

put corn anywhere in the national forest and you'll be over run with game animals. Not to mention it's a form of bait that works as good as other forms of bait. [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji23]

Last edited by DapperDan; 09-27-2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X