Cutting a longbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting a longbow

Does anyone know of someone that can make a 1 piece longbow into a two piece?

Really hard to do once the riser is shaped!

Bisch

Comment

It can be done but I haven't tried it yet myself. If you look over at tradgang on the bowyer forum I think you can find someone that can do it for you. There are two type of systems that you can do one is a bow bolt and the other is a bow sleeve.

Comment

Really???
        I wasn't sure if it was doable or not.
        Doesn't hurt to ask.
        My favorite longbow is a one piece. And I would like to take it to Africa with me as a backup to my recurve. I have a takedown but its lighter in weight and will need different arrows.
        Did you take a backup bow on your africa trip??

Comment

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
          It can be done but I haven't tried it yet myself. If you look over at tradgang on the bowyer forum I think you can find someone that can do it for you. There are two type of systems that you can do one is a bow bolt and the other is a bow sleeve.
          Let me check over there. Thank you!

Comment

Cutting a longbow

I took 3 bows the first trip, and 2 on the next 2 trips, but they were all takedowns.

When are you going? And with what outfitter?

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              I took 3 bows the first trip, and 2 on the next 2 trips, but they were all takedowns.

When are you going? And with what outfitter?

Bisch
              If all goes well, August. With Dries
              How many arrows? I was thinking 2 dz.

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
                If all goes well, August. With Dries
                How many arrows? I was thinking 2 dz.
                2dz will be good. Take a handfull of judos to shoot guineas with. They are a blast when things are slow!

Bisch

Comment

Kinda funny to me that Guineas are native there, and yet here people pay LOTS of money to raise and have them noisy suckers. LOL, good luck on the trip, got a lot of prep time between now and then.

Comment

I did it to one of my long bows about 20 years ago. Not to much problem but having enough handle is the critical part. I used the sleeve method. It adds a little bit of weight to it and I shot it even better after doing it.

Comment

I asked Big Jim the same question a couple years ago. His reply was that the riser has to be made for a take-down system no matter whish system was to be used. He did state that there was a fellow that did it on a regular basis but he would not recommend it on any bow over 40 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                        I did it to one of my long bows about 20 years ago. Not to much problem but having enough handle is the critical part. I used the sleeve method. It adds a little bit of weight to it and I shot it even better after doing it.

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                        I asked Big Jim the same question a couple years ago. His reply was that the riser has to be made for a take-down system no matter whish system was to be used. He did state that there was a fellow that did it on a regular basis but he would not recommend it on any bow over 40 pounds.
                        I might have to get me another bow. A just-in-case bow.

My longbow is 59@27 and shoot the exact same arrow as my 55@26 recurve.
                        Thats the main reason I wanted to take that one. I was thinking on getting a longbow tube and pay the extra luggage charge. May be cheaper than the other options.

Comment

Working...
                        X