Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does this sign mean in plain English?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does this sign mean in plain English?

It's attached to a tree in a rural, private, subdivision near the Trinity River and Hwy 105. There are no horses, cattle, or any farm animals out here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Property owner can't be held liable for injury of participant in farm animal activities. I have seen most commonly posted at stables or riding facilities.

Comment

Not responsible for injury to any animal used in the rodeo.

Comment

Lawyers can kiss my ***.

Comment

If I remember right it’s a fairly new law and requires this sign to be posted to be covered.

Comment

Any kind of rodeo or livestock show or activity involving animals.

Do they have horseback riding there?

Comment

Here's an example:

Defending Mr. Ed (A Horse Law Update)
              Posted on April 18, 2013 by Frank O. Carroll III
              horse 2The title is a bit of a misnomer. Mr. Ed, the talking horse of television fame, would not need a legal defense team. Mr. Ed could talk. Jasper the horse, however, can not talk. So when Jasper (or rather his owner) was sued by a former caretaker who alleged Jasper was a dangerous horse who attacked his caretaker unprovoked, Jasper needed lawyers. Fortunately for Jasper, he lived in Texas—and in Texas, according to a recent opinion from the Houston 14th Court of Appeals, mere “horse” play (bad pun intended) is not actionable thanks to the Texas Equine Act.

Jasper, in his early life, had been malnourished and presumably abused by a previous owner before the SPCA removed Jasper and brought him back to good health. In August of 2009, Jasper was rescued by Tisa McKim and brought to her stables.

Brenda Young often cared for horses at Jasper’s stable, and upon seeing an advertising flyer posted at the stable, Tisa agreed to pay Brenda each time she fed Jasper or cleaned his stall—$2.50 for the former, $3.00 for the latter. Brenda was given wide discretion in Jasper’s care. Tisa specified feeding instructions considering Jasper’s prior malnourishment, but other decisions were left to Brenda. On January 3rd, 2010, after caring for Jasper for three months, Brenda led Jasper to the paddock to feed him. During the walk, Brenda stopped to chat with another horse owner. Jasper grazed beside Brenda for a while—then suddenly and without warning, Jasper turned and kicked her.

Brenda sued Tisa for negligence. Tisa moved for summary judgment, arguing the Equine Act, Chapter 87 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code, shielded her from liability. The Act provides immunity for horse owners against all participants of equine activities due to the inherent risk of equine activities. The trial court agreed that Tisa was immune under the Act and granted her summary judgment motion. Brenda appealed.

On appeal, Brenda claimed the Equine Act only shielded equine sponsors of tourists and other consumers of equine activities from liability. The 14th Court of Appeals did not agree. The Court reasoned that the statute applied to all participants of equine activities, and that leading a horse to a paddock for feeding is an equine activity. Accordingly, Tisa was not liable for Brenda’s injuries resulting from her participation in an equine activity.

Brenda argued alternatively that because Tisa did not warn her that Jasper was an adopted, previously mistreated animal, Tisa willfully disregarded Brenda’s safety and the Equine Act did not offer immunity. Summary judgment evidence showed that mistreated horses may experience “flashbacks” of their mistreatment and may act unpredictable. But the Court held that the evidence was insufficient to create a fact issue because there was no explanation as to what exactly a “horse flashback” is. Nor was there an explanation why someone who held themselves out as qualified to care for horses needed warning of previous malnourishment or the danger of standing behind a horse. Finally, evidence showed Jasper to be well-behaved and “gentlemanly.” The Court held that immunity under the Equine Act still applied, even to rescue horses.

Fortunately for “Gentlemanly” Jasper, the Equine Act continues to provide horse owners with a shield from liability, ensuring that people like Tisa McKim will not be punished for rescuing and caring for abandoned and mistreated animals like Jasper. And for caretakers of horses, one would be wise to remember the immortal words of Christopher Stone: “Horses are uncomfortable in the middle and dangerous at both ends.”

The full opinion can be found at Young v. McKim, 373 S.W.3d 776 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2012, pet. denied).

Comment

Riding, handling, training, driving, loading, unloading, assisting in the medical treatment of, being a passenger on, etc... animal is horse, cow, goat, pig, ostrich, emu, rhea, chicken, turkey, duck.

Also they put them up at rodeo sites, fairs, competitions, performances or events where those animals are present. It’s just a liability thing people post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

More:

Texas Liability Law Protects Barn Operators, Horse Owners
                  Equine professionals are protected from liability connected to equine activities by a limited liability law.

By Pat Raia | Aug 12, 2011

Barn operators and other equine industry professionals in Texas are now protected from liability connected to injuries sustained during equine-related activities under a limited liability law that went into effect in June.

Passed by the Texas Legislature on May 27 and signed by Texas Governer Rick Perry in June, SB 479, The Texas Farm Animal Limitation of Liability Act, immunizes barn operators, riding instructors, and trainers from liability connected to equine activities on grounds that such activities carry inherent risks. Veterinarians, farriers, owners, and horse show sponsors are also protected under the measure.

Jerry Thames, spokesman for the Texas Horse Council, said that the measure "puts people on notice" that equine activities carry risks. The law could also reduce the number of unfounded lawsuits brought against barn operators and horse owners.

"Basically, it means if I have a $100,000 horse that kicks somebody at a horse show, I’m not going get a $1 million law suit," Thames said.

Under the law, barn operators and horse show sponsors must post signs reading "Under Texas Law (Chapter 87, Civil Practice and Remedies Code), a farm animal (an equine) professional is not liable for injury to or the death of a participant in Farm animal (equine) activities resulting from the inherent risks of farm animal (equine) activities."

Texas is among 46 states with some kind of equine activity limited liability law on the books.
                  Last edited by Burnadell; 07-02-2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I was thinking it had something to do with a rodeo, or maybe horse riding facilities. Since nothing like that is here I found it odd.

Comment

Sounds like Jasper was an impatient *******... or a good judge of character....not sure which..

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                        Sounds like Jasper was an impatient *******... or a good judge of character....not sure which..
                        What has happened to civility in the animal world?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
                          Any kind of rodeo or livestock show or activity involving animals.

Do they have horseback riding there?

I asked, and yes they do allow horses to be ridden and have stables in the very back of this neighborhood. They are all empty, and I've never seen anyone ride a house here. Looks like just a CYA thing with the property management

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            I asked, and yes they do allow horses to be ridden and have stables in the very back of this neighborhood. They are all empty, and I've never seen anyone ride a house here. Looks like just a CYA thing with the property management
                            Yep then it's probably a CYA for that.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              I was thinking it had something to do with a rodeo, or maybe horse riding facilities. Since nothing like that is here I found it odd.
                              Could be trail riding or endurance riding, too.

Ag Law Blog just posted a similar case as the ones above but quoted the law on the sign. Here's a link:

Are Landowners Liable for a horse riding injury to a child

I'm guessing these 2 groups are not friends anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X