Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't get this hog to commit to my trap, any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't get this hog to commit to my trap, any ideas?

He won't go inside my trap. He lurks all around the outside, but won't go through the door.

You most likely won’t ever get him in there. He knows what it is. Best way to catch him is with a big round pen or a bullet in the ear

Comment

I've had success by moving the trap and burying it in brush. But it's correct to say he knows what a trap is.

Comment

He is trap wise, lot of them near me are that way. Gonna take a different type of trap and a corn feeder

Comment

How long has he been “lurking?” It can take a couple of weeks for them to get comfortable.
          Try less bait outside and more bait inside. Just leave the trap open for awhile so he gets comfortable going in and out.

Comment

Pump up sprayer with diesel, spray down everything you might have touched. Then spray down the corn, you will have him in it tomorrow.

Comment

Feeder on the trap wired open and give him time. Caught a big boar last year that wouldn't go in for about 6 months. Once you see he is going in, rubber boots and gloves to set the trap.

Comment

Set up a snare just outside the trap

Comment

Get him drunk! Old man I knew would soak corn in cheap vodka. He put half in a pan outside the trap and the other half inside in a pan. He caught a lot of big weary boats this way. He said they were easy to turn into drunks.

Comment

When you can't train your hog to get in its trap.. its time to shoot him in the ear and get a new hog.

Comment

If it is a box trap with a top put a small feeder on the top wired in place. Build some kind of box around the timer so that when it goes off the corn only falls in the back of the trap. Have it going off once a day at dark. Leave the door tied open and they will get comfortable going in and eating the corn daily. Then set the door with a trip wire. We had trap smart pigs and I set up feeders like this on 3 traps and we started catching hogs every weekend when we were at the lease. Once you catch one and shoot it in the trap drag the trap about 30 feet away from the blood and start over. Most of the feeders I made were out of metal containers and would hold 100lbs of corn, one is an old galvanized water well pressure tank.

Comment

Kill him on the outside

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
                          Set up a snare just outside the trap
                          Try not putting Any corn outside the trap, only inside. If not do this^

Comment

Originally posted by WBA2000 View Post
                            Get him drunk! Old man I knew would soak corn in cheap vodka. He put half in a pan outside the trap and the other half inside in a pan. He caught a lot of big weary boats this way. He said they were easy to turn into drunks.
                            I'd be curious to see if this worked

Comment

Working...
                            X