Which peep size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which peep size

Which size peep for Hunting? I currently have a 1/4” peep in my bow and have enough gap around it that I think I see too much and it’s given me problems aligning my sight. I recently bought a fast Eddie (hard mount, not the XL) and once I back up to sight in the 60 my grouping is not good. Should I go down to a 3/32 size? Would this help my grouping? How much would it effect the lighting in the peep while hunting in ground blind, and early/late hours in tree stand or ground blind.

Which size are you guys running? I know a lot of factors go into size but trying so see what majority of y’all are running on your hunting setups.

Thanks in advance.

I shoot a 1/4 peep. Shoot the fast Eddie xl. Mine came with a second screw in ring for the sight housing that was bigger. I use the smaller and adjust it so it works but my housing is only half way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm no expert. I was told to use a peep that when at full draw is the same size as your scope housing. So you match those circles up and it helps center your pin. It works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
        I'm no expert. I was told to use a peep that when at full draw is the same size as your scope housing. So you match those circles up and it helps center your pin. It works for me.

This exactly ^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post

Ya when I do this mine is outside a good bit. Shooting 20-30 yards is fine but once I got back my grouping is spread out. Think I’ll be goin to the bow shop and getting me swapped out.

Comment

I used 3/16 for years worked real well, now I use a verifier so I haft to use a 1/4" deep.

Comment

Originally posted by LaytonConor View Post
              Which size peep for Hunting? I currently have a 1/4” peep in my bow and have enough gap around it that I think I see too much and it’s given me problems aligning my sight. I recently bought a fast Eddie (hard mount, not the XL) and once I back up to sight in the 60 my grouping is not good. Should I go down to a 3/32 size? Would this help my grouping? How much would it effect the lighting in the peep while hunting in ground blind, and early/late hours in tree stand or ground blind.

Which size are you guys running? I know a lot of factors go into size but trying so see what majority of y’all are running on your hunting setups.

Thanks in advance.
              I shoot 1/4" with the fast Eddie XL. With the slider you will need to adjust your peep height to be comfortable at the middle of your effective range. For example, if 60 is the furthest you shoot adjust your peep height to be comfortable at 40. That way when you shoot 20 or 60 you will not loose too much. To do this draw your bow with your eyes closed with the slider set to 40. Anchor and open your eyes. Adjust your peep height accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
                I shoot 1/4" with the fast Eddie XL. With the slider you will need to adjust your peep height to be comfortable at the middle of your effective range. For example, if 60 is the furthest you shoot adjust your peep height to be comfortable at 40. That way when you shoot 20 or 60 you will not loose too much. To do this draw your bow with your eyes closed with the slider set to 40. Anchor and open your eyes. Adjust your peep height accordingly.

Never knew this. I always thought you just adjusted your spine angle by bending at the waist to compensate for steeper angles up and down. I’m confused.

Comment

You want the peep to be big enough to see your sight ring. This will vary by draw length, sight length, housing size.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post

Just reread this and realize that you’re shooting a single pin and see your point

Comment

I’d recommend 3/16”

3/32” would be awfully hard to see in low light or after dark

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishndude;13337801]I’d recommend 3/16”[/QUOTE]

Ive been using 3/16 for years.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                          Just reread this and realize that you’re shooting a single pin and see your point

Just for grins, slide your sight to 100. Draw with your eyes closed and anchor with the bow level to the target. Your peep height should be off to see through the scope, unless you have already compensated for this. At 60 my scope is centered in the peep. At 20 the pin is at the top of my peep. At 100 the pin is very low in my peep. Before I compensated I could not look through my peep and see my pins at 80 without trying to adjust my anchor or head position.

Comment

Originally posted by LaytonConor View Post

Thanks in advance.
                            Well, we can't tell you for sure what size you need; that will depend on your scope size and the distance from peep to pin. But, as Fishindude said, try a 3/16" and se what it looks like. Keep dropping in size until you find the alignment you like.

You can also buy an aperture kit and peep from Specialty Archery or Hamskea that allows you to change the peep (aperture) size without needing to take it to a pro shop.

As others have said, getting the anchor right is another big deal with a slider. Two ways to do it.

1) The floating anchor: Set the anchor at the halfway point, or the point at which most of your shots will be taken; then you only need to make very small anchor moves (up or down) to get the sight in alignment. This way keeps the head in the same position, just the release hand is moving.

2) The floating eye: Set the anchor same as before, but tilt the head more or less to align the eye to the peep and keep the anchor the same. If you touch your nose to the string this will mean more or less nose into the string at different distances. This also tends to change the perceived size of the peep aperture as the eye is not the same distance from the peep at all distances, but it is a slight difference. Most people, with no coaching, usually shoot this way due to being told to always hit the same anchor; it is natural to keep the anchor and tilt the head more or less.

I prefer the first method myself as it keeps the eye to peep the same distance and does not involve the head and neck at all. For me, it is also more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                              I’d recommend 3/16”

3/32” would be awfully hard to see in low light or after dark

Dang it ya I meant 3/16. Good catch

Comment

Working...
                              X