Kind of neat yesterday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of neat yesterday.

My youngest sister got my dads house after he passed. She called yesterday to see if me and my wife would come down for a while. She had found an old shoe box of old 8mm films. I dug out the old projector and screen. I couldn't believe that old projector still worked! The majority of the films were still viewable too! We got to one and it was me, my sisters and mother standing by a fence. Then all of the sudden here comes a plane landing. It was the very first Boeing 747 to land in Dallas. We were at Love Field. Y'all might not think much of it, but man did some memories come flooding back looking at those old movies.

That's very cool! We have a box of 8mm reels that we need to dig through and try to convert. My mom says they will be mostly family reunions from her mother's side when she was a child, with a few dove and quail hunting reels of my grandfather's.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
      That's very cool! We have a box of 8mm reels that we need to dig through and try to convert. My mom says they will be mostly family reunions from her mother's side when she was a child, with a few dove and quail hunting reels of my grandfather's.
      We're going to try to get these put on DVD. Most were family vacations and such. Did have one that was one of my football games when I played Pop Warner in the 60's.

Comment

Very cool. I would send them to have them converted to DVD or whatever to save them before its too late

On edit: Apparently we posted at the same time, looks like you plan to.

Comment

Very cool, I remember my dad filming us, and watching them when we were small. Iam not even sure we're that film is now. Iam going to have to question my sisters and brothers now. I would really like to watch them again.

Comment

Definitely worth putting to DVD. Cool find

I know there's a company called Legacybox that does that

Comment

really cool!

Comment

I'm in the same situation, but no projector. My mom has 91 reels I believe. So far we have converted 25. It's rather expensive so it's a work in progress. I would also suggest NOT using Legacy Box, unless you live in the sticks and have no other options. We did the first 10 through them, and then the next 15 we had done by an individual in Dallas. He did 15 for a 1/2 of what legacy box charged for 10, and I had more options through the him, as far as editing, cleaning certain parts up, removing parts, etc..
                They definitely are cool, just wish there was sound. Would be nice to hear the voices of family members and loved ones that have passed.

Comment

That’s a great thing, always good to have found something like that
                  It will be good to Tranfer it over to dvd to make it last longer

Comment

Certified neat

Comment

I would also recommend a master flash drive, not CDs. They will scratch, etc... With the flash you can burn as many CDs as you want, over and over, make them for other people, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                        I'm in the same situation, but no projector. My mom has 91 reels I believe. So far we have converted 25. It's rather expensive so it's a work in progress. I would also suggest NOT using Legacy Box, unless you live in the sticks and have no other options. We did the first 10 through them, and then the next 15 we had done by an individual in Dallas. He did 15 for a 1/2 of what legacy box charged for 10, and I had more options through the him, as far as editing, cleaning certain parts up, removing parts, etc..
                        They definitely are cool, just wish there was sound. Would be nice to hear the voices of family members and loved ones that have passed.
                        Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                        I would also recommend a master flash drive, not CDs. They will scratch, etc... With the flash you can burn as many CDs as you want, over and over, make them for other people, etc...

Good info on here. I too have some old reels that need to be done.

I agree with the flash drive.

Comment

Working...
                        X