Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
Buckrider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fairfield
Default Night vision AR-15 rifle scope

Ok I did the search thing and nothing newer that 6 years old so....
I am looking at night vision rifle scopes and possibly an external illuminator as well if still needed.
This will be on my AR-15 for hogs and varmint at night.
What do you like and what are some good semi affordable brands worth looking at? Where to buy?
Things to look for and things to avoid?
I got to look through a couple of the Sightmark 6.5x50 this weekend and it looked ok but was still kind of iffy at a long way off. The guys did say to be sure and get an external illuminator if I ended up with one like theirs.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Donnie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckrider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
Bruiser
Ten Point

how did u search lots of recent threds
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

All depends on what you want/like and how much money you want to spend.

I use the Photon IR night vision that cost around $550. Works great out to 60-80 yards in pitch black with no extra IR added. Can see 700+ yards out with a 3/4 moon or better.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Calling Outdoor Legacy...
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckrider View Post
Ok I did the search thing and nothing newer that 6 years old so....
I am looking at night vision rifle scopes and possibly an external illuminator as well if still needed.
This will be on my AR-15 for hogs and varmint at night.
What do you like and what are some good semi affordable brands worth looking at? Where to buy?
Things to look for and things to avoid?
I got to look through a couple of the Sightmark 6.5x50 this weekend and it looked ok but was still kind of iffy at a long way off. The guys did say to be sure and get an external illuminator if I ended up with one like theirs.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Donnie

Lol ur search iz broke. Call Jason at 877-350-1818.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Victoria, Weesatche and Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
This ^

I have 2 Pulsars and love em!
OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #7
kgrutzmacher
Six Point

Hunt In: Crockett, TX / Rocksprings, TX / Public Land

I have one in the classifieds - see the obo comment. It worked great for me - just want to move to thermal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kgrutzmacher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #8
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

I heard my name?lol

I'll be glad to offer my 2 cents, I'm the TBH NV & thermal sponsor and this is my full time job. I'll gladly give you all the free advice you need with no pressure to buy anything but this conversation will be had much easier over the phone because there is a lot to get into.

There are 57 pages of NV goodness in this current thread but it starts in 2014 and it if you read it all it will probably be 2020 when you finish. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=453835

You mentioned the Sightmark Photon 6.5x and that was probably the now discontinued XT model that has been replaced with the RT model. If you did in fact look at the RT model and weren't happy then you don't have a lot of other options since the ATN X-Sights are the only other digital NV optics (to speak of) under $1,000. The new Photon RT 6x50S will see out to about 250 yards right out of the box and so far my customers have been extremely satisfied and opting not to spend their money on external IR's because it's takes a really big one to put out more IR light than the included Photon RT IR.

Here are a couple of my review videos from the new Photon RT's.

Give me a call and I'll be glad to answer your questions and point you in the right direction. (877)350-1818

- Jason

Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
Buckrider
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
how did u search lots of recent threds

Typed in night vision and every variation I could think of in the around the campfire section. Very little showed up and it was old...

Old 07-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
Buckrider
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post

Not the first time I and many others have had little luck using search... I tried anyways

Old 07-09-2018, 07:05 PM   #11
Buckrider
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
I heard my name?lol

I'll be glad to offer my 2 cents, I'm the TBH NV & thermal sponsor and this is my full time job. I'll gladly give you all the free advice you need with no pressure to buy anything but this conversation will be had much easier over the phone because there is a lot to get into.

There are 57 pages of NV goodness in this current thread but it starts in 2014 and it if you read it all it will probably be 2020 when you finish. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=453835

You mentioned the Sightmark Photon 6.5x and that was probably the now discontinued XT model that has been replaced with the RT model. If you did in fact look at the RT model and weren't happy then you don't have a lot of other options since the ATN X-Sights are the only other digital NV optics (to speak of) under $1,000. The new Photon RT 6x50S will see out to about 250 yards right out of the box and so far my customers have been extremely satisfied and opting not to spend their money on external IR's because it's takes a really big one to put out more IR light than the included Photon RT IR.

Here are a couple of my review videos from the new Photon RT's.

Give me a call and I'll be glad to answer your questions and point you in the right direction. (877)350-1818

- Jason

Sightmark Photon RT Digital Night Vision Riflescope Full Review - YouTube

Sightmark Photon RT First Hog Kill - YouTube

Actually I did manage to stumble across some of your threads as they were older ones lol.
I watched a bunch of your videos there and now have a good understanding of how the Sightmark scopes work noteably the RT series and based on your reviews and recommendations I am leaning towards the RT 4.5-9x42s and probably the scope rings/mounts although not sure if I need the long or short versions of them? Probably would get the permanent mounts as opposed to QD. I enjoyed your long review because it had closed caption and I canít hear the videos. Unless I get interested in something else Iíll most likely be getting the Sightmark RT from you soon!
Thanks for all the information!
Donnie

Old 07-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #12
Buckrider
Ten Point

Quote:
Actually I did manage to stumble across some of your threads as they were older ones lol.
I watched a bunch of your videos there and now have a good understanding of how the Sightmark scopes work noteably the RT series and based on your reviews and recommendations I am leaning towards the RT 4.5-9x42s and probably the scope rings/mounts although not sure if I need the long or short versions of them? Probably would get the permanent mounts as opposed to QD. I enjoyed your long review because it had closed caption and I canít hear the videos. Unless I get interested in something else Iíll most likely be getting the Sightmark RT from you soon!
Donnie

And yes Iím sure they were the older XT models

Old 07-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #13
Tbar
Ten Point

Go thermal. IR Hunter Mark III 60.

The Feeder is at 200 yards and the tree line behind it is 500 +.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0DH8goYvMU

Last edited by Tbar; 07-09-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #14
Buckrider
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post
Go thermal. IR Hunter Mark III 60.

The Feeder is at 200 yards and the tree line behind it is 500 +.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0DH8goYvMU

Oh man that is sooooo sweeeet! Please tell me that is only $600!

Old 07-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #15
Buckrider
Ten Point

Quote:
Oh man that is sooooo sweeeet! Please tell me that is only $600!

Just Googled it.... uh.... NO...
Not at this time but thanks. Sure is nice though!

Old 07-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #16
Buckrider
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrutzmacher View Post
I have one in the classifieds - see the obo comment. It worked great for me - just want to move to thermal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looked at your ad but I think Iíll hold out for the new one, thanks for the heads up tho!

Old 07-10-2018, 12:48 AM   #17
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Donnie

Glad to help! Thanks for the private messages and I look forward to working with you. Thanks!

Jason
Old 07-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #18
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Typed in night vision and every variation I could think of in the around the campfire section. Very little showed up and it was old...
Expand search you must.

Most guys don't shoot their night vision at campfires. Most guys shoot NV on the other side of el rancho!
Old 07-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #19
Buckrider
Ten Point

Thank you Mr.Yoda, it took me a minute to figure out what you meant! Lol

Old 07-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #20
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Here's my take for what it's worth. If you want to hunt at night from stands, go thermal, and there's a direct correlation between price and quality there. If you want to be mobile, get a wearable NV monocular and mount an IR laser and an IR illuminator on your rifle. This second combo is deadly. Just feed the roads in the afternoon, then walk them or ride in an electric vehicle and aim with the laser. A suppressor gives you more shots at a given group of hogs before they figure out your whereabouts. As you can see, this is not a cheap sport, but it's loads of fun.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #21
Buckrider
Ten Point

Yes I agree the thermal is the way to go but at this time it is a little out of my budget at least until I see if hog opportunities are going to be enough to justify the extra cost. Till then I have decided to go with the NV Riflescope setup and possibly a handheld monocular to make it easier to spot them before having to move the rifle. I appreciate you posting sir!

Old 07-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #22
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes I agree the thermal is the way to go but at this time it is a little out of my budget at least until I see if hog opportunities are going to be enough to justify the extra cost. Till then I have decided to go with the NV Riflescope setup and possibly a handheld monocular to make it easier to spot them before having to move the rifle. I appreciate you posting sir!

That is exactly what I did and I recommend doing whatever gets you hunting faster. If that's digital NV, do it!
Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #23
Buckrider
Ten Point

Yes it is digital! Thanks, I ordered it today from Jason at Outdoor Legacy Gear and btw Jason seems to be a really standup businessman to deal with. He took the time to answer all my questions and worked with me to ensure I knew which setup I was needing to buy for my particular situations in the field. He had also sent me links to tons of info on these scopes. If anyone is looking for night hunting gear give Jason Robertson a call at 877-350-1818

Old 07-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #24
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes it is digital! Thanks, I ordered it today from Jason at Outdoor Legacy Gear and btw Jason seems to be a really standup businessman to deal with. He took the time to answer all my questions and worked with me to ensure I knew which setup I was needing to buy for my particular situations in the field. He had also sent me links to tons of info on these scopes. If anyone is looking for night hunting gear give Jason Robertson a call at 877-350-1818
Thank you! I appreciate your business and I hope you enjoy the scope. Now lets seen some pics of dead hogs!

Jason
Old 07-17-2018, 10:17 PM   #25
geezer56
Six Point

I bought a couple of digital NV scopes. Got a bonus at work. Called Jason and ordered a thermal. Great guy, and I love the Apex 38. Photons are now loaner/backups. If you want to go with night vision, call Jason. You will not be steered wrong.
geezer56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #26
Buckrider
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Thank you! I appreciate your business and I hope you enjoy the scope. Now lets seen some pics of dead hogs!

Jason

Well thatís the plan, just need to do my part and catch them in the act! Lol

Old 07-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #27
Buckrider
Ten Point

Default Night vision AR-15 rifle scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer56 View Post
I bought a couple of digital NV scopes. Got a bonus at work. Called Jason and ordered a thermal. Great guy, and I love the Apex 38. Photons are now loaner/backups. If you want to go with night vision, call Jason. You will not be steered wrong.

Thanks I just bought one and if the night hunting pans out like I hope then I may get motivated again to work some OT to be able to swing the Thermal scope! That is so cool to me!