No announcement yet.

String Trackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking about using a string tracker this year, will be shooting thru camo netting stretched really tight on a permanent blind, anyone know if or how that may effect arrow flight?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Shipp View Post
      I'm thinking about using a string tracker this year, will be shooting thru camo netting stretched really tight on a permanent blind, anyone know if or how that may effect arrow flight?

I have shot a slew of critters with the string tracker through netting. The only thing that will hurt you is if you try to shoot at a real severe angle to the netting. In that case the feather quill will sometimes catch on the netting and screw the shot up. Try to stay somewhat perpendicular to the netting and you will be fine.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks Bisch....that's what I wanted to hear.

Comment

Just bought two spools and tracker from drifter too , hope it gets here soon.

Comment

My string tracker arrived quickly when I ordered it a few weeks ago, Drifter is good to deal with. The quality is top notch, good leather and nice stitching.

Comment

Originally posted by masonred View Post
              My string tracker arrived quickly when I ordered it a few weeks ago, Drifter is good to deal with. The quality is top notch, good leather and nice stitching.
              Thanks man!

Comment

Not Stitched and sure of term but put together with a metal system. Anyone know what they are called?

Comment

I hope to try mine out soon. Like others have said, Chad makes a nice looking tracker that's pretty solid when attached to the bow. I pulled the recommended amount of line out before shooting, it doesn't effect accuracy at 20 yards, but man, that string is noisey coming off the spool.....sounds like a hot coke fizzing out of the can.

Comment

The string sounds noisy to the shooter but I don't think the deer hear it much or it's a noise that doesn't bother them. I can't recall ever having a deer duck when shooting at them with it. I have even mi...missss...shot at one where the arrow went right over it's back and it kept feeding and the string was laying on it's back.

Comment

Draco thats cool !

Comment

Mine came in the other day and I put it on the bow. I'll take a test shot or two this week with it.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

When they first came out I bought one. It was smaller than the newer ones and had less line. The line was bright orange. I practiced with it and couldn't tell that it made any difference in arrow flight out to about 20 yards. I switched to the larger spools when they came out.

I shot at a buck from my stand through a small opening in the cedar limbs. The string makes a hoop when it leaves the the container and that hoop caught on some of the cedar twigs. The arrow went crazy and actually hit the buck in the rump with the nock first. No damage and lesson learned.

I've had a few mishaps with the tracker such as the line breaking in really thick brush. But by the time the line broke the animal was bleeding well enough to follow. I can't think of any animal I ever lost using the tracker.

My buddy shot a bear in Canada using the tracker and failed to recover the bear. The line broke. The next evening he killed the same bear and discover his first shot was buried in the bears shoulder. Didn't even slow the bear down. Course my buddy shoots one of those mechanical arrow launchers (compound).

I was shooting Graphflex arrows at the time and hooking up the tracker line was easy. After they quit making Graphflex arrows I went back to wood and hooking the tracker up isn't as easy. I used it a few more years and finally quit.

My brother in law still uses one with great success (compound shooter).

Bottom line is, if you practice with it and do what you should, it will work for you.

My opinion only. JC

Comment

Draco...I see that you set your tracker up on the opposite side of the riser from the shelf. What are the downsides to setting the tracker up on the same side of the riser as the shelf?

I ask because of my bow quiver. I want to balance the bow a bit more and not have everything attached to just one side.

Comment

When on the shelf side it obstructs view, or at least did for me. All I've seen are on the side away from shelf, I just wanted to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                                Draco...I see that you set your tracker up on the opposite side of the riser from the shelf. What are the downsides to setting the tracker up on the same side of the riser as the shelf?

I ask because of my bow quiver. I want to balance the bow a bit more and not have everything attached to just one side.
                                I like it that way because the tracker string just recoils back with the arrow and doesn't come back over your hand like with the lower set ups.

Comment

Working...
                                X