Sony A7S Lens question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony A7S Lens question

I have a sony a7s with a sony fe 28mm f2 lens I use for recovery pictures. I want to get a decent longer range lens to use to film in lower light and out to roughly 100 yards during the day. I would like to get a native sony fe lens so I can use the autofocus and internal stabilization is a must too.

Option 1: sony 70-200 f2.8 $2000 for a good used lens

Option 2: sony 70-300 f4.5 $1100 new

Option 3?

I film a lot of night so I would like something that performs well so my gut is telling me to go with the sony f2.8 but I wanted to get yalls opinions on what would be a good option, budget is $2500.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Obviously the higher the aperture the more low light quality you lose but I have the 70-200 f4 and it doesn’t reach to 100 yards like I’d like. Seems like your stuck in a tough spot with filming at night and wanting to reach out there pretty far.

Maybe this guy: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=y

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
      Obviously the higher the aperture the more low light quality you lose but I have the 70-200 f4 and it doesn’t reach to 100 yards like I’d like. Seems like your stuck in a tough spot with filming at night and wanting to reach out there pretty far.

Maybe this guy: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=y
      Reaching out to 100 yards is not a major requirement since the primary use will be for bow range shots but if deer stage up further out I would like to be able to view them but it's not a deal breaker. Some shots will also be within 15 yards so I would rather not step up to 100mm

Comment

Sony A7S Lens question

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
        Reaching out to 100 yards is not a major requirement since the primary use will be for bow range shots but if deer stage up further out I would like to be able to view them but it's not a deal breaker. Some shots will also be within 15 yards so I would rather not step up to 100mm

Gotcha.
        The 70-200 2.8 will be your best bet in my opinion.

Here’s a idea on distance. The buck in focus is about 60 yards and the one laying down out of focus is in the 100 yard range. This is at 200mm and I’m sure the photo is going to load obnoxiously large too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
          Gotcha.
          The 70-200 2.8 will be your best bet in my opinion.

Here’s a idea on distance. The buck in focus is about 60 yards and the one laying down out of focus is in the 100 yard range. This is at 200mm and I’m sure the photo is going to load obnoxiously large too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Thank you. What setup are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
            Thank you. What setup are you running?

Usually either a A7iii or A7riii and the 70-200 f4

Later this year I’ll be caving on the new 200-600 lens Sony came out with to really reach out and touch something. I do not do any video really so not very helpful there! Michael (TBH’s el presidente) runs Sony equipment for his hunting videos so his past threads might be helpful.

Comment

If you have the cash a 70-200 2.8 is a must have. You will want that extra light when it starts to get dim out there

Comment

I ended up getting this lens. I found a like new one for $2100 locally and will be returning the f4 I bought on Amazon for $1500 that I have not received yet. Thank yall for the help! What settings have yall had the best luck at for video?

Comment

I got a chance last weekend to play around with this new setup and I really like it but it will take some time getting use to it.

Comment

I figured I would do an update. It's been almost a year now and I have had zero regrets with the 70-200 2.8 lens.

Comment

nice! good shots

Comment

Working...
                      X