Will it work ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it work ?

I put my corral trap up a couple months ago and just installed my "poor boy" trigger today. The pics tell the story if you can see them well enough. The guillotine door is 8' wide and 5' tall and has a nail barely stuck underneath it. A washer is welded onto the nail head and a cable attatched to it. The cable runs through a pulley which is attatched to a T post and then runs to a small tire. The tire is staked with a sucker rod so that it can only go forward. I dug a hole inside the tire and filled it with sweet feed and corn. The idea is that pigs will root the tire forward trying to get at the bait, the nail pulls out and they are trapped.

Has anyone tried this ? See any flaws ? Criticism welcome !
    Attached Files

T post, pulley, and cable.
    Attached Files

Comment

Have you been feeding inside the pen already?

If not, feed inside the pen and tire for a few weeks until sign (or game camera pics) show proof of high hog traffic and THEN set the trap and it will catch a lot more pigs at once.

Comment

Maybe put some kind of locking mechanism where a bigger pig cannot lift the trap door up releasing them back out

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
          Have you been feeding inside the pen already?

If not, feed inside the pen and tire for a few weeks until sign (or game camera pics) show proof of high hog traffic and THEN set the trap and it will catch a lot more pigs at once.
          I fed inside the pen for a while during December, but I suspect the pressure of us deer hunting kept the hogs out. That's what I've always done before but this time I decided to just set and bait. Your method is the best, but I'm an hour away from this place, so that's why I'm doing it like this.

Originally posted by jakhunter View Post
          Maybe put some kind of locking mechanism where a bigger pig cannot lift the trap door up releasing them back out
          Ive caught pigs before and they've never been able to escape. Always a first time though. I really haven't had much success catching big hogs in it, mostly 125 lb. and down. Last time I set it I caught 17, mostly pigs, but the sow was hanging around and she caught lead poisoning !

Comment

IN...I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
              IN...I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. Good luck
              Thanks ! In the past I’ve used a rather complicated trigger. This one is simple enough to at least try.

Comment

Lead corn into trap and spread corn throughout trap to keep the first one from going straight to the trigger. Which u may have done.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                  Lead corn into trap and spread corn throughout trap to keep the first one from going straight to the trigger. Which u may have done.
                  Nope. But that's what I should have done, so I'll do it tomorrow when I go back to set up my cell cam on it.

Comment

You do know if that rig catches a herd of them, I will hold old Sarge for ransom till you come down here and catch another herd.

Comment

Yep--

Comment

This is what I would do. Make sure as many as possible go in before one of them sets the trap off

Comment

Originally posted by jakhunter View Post
                          I was driving through my pasture once and noticed a young female in one of my traps with a big boar on the outside of the trap. By the time I got to the camp house and back with my rifle, the boar had pushed open the door of the trap and let the female out. True love...but it shows it can happen.

Comment

would love to see more pics of the trigger/door with the nail and the tire close up!!!

That will work well if you get them patterned inside.

Good luck and awesome wide gate. I like it

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                              You do know if that rig catches a herd of them, I will hold old Sarge for ransom till you come down here and catch another herd.
                              Sarge says "Say what ?"

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              would love to see more pics of the trigger/door with the nail and the tire close up!!!

That will work well if you get them patterned inside.

Good luck and awesome wide gate. I like it
                              I'll get some better pics today when I rebait.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X