No announcement yet.

First Buck.... Big or Small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck back when I was a kid you could only shoot bucks and the buck were so scarse I didn't get my first deer a 4 point until my 4th season.

My son is 2.5yrs and I start him with squirrel then hogs then a doe, but once he gets to hunt bucks I opt to option 3.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      I let my son take an antlerless first. The next year a spike. After that branch antlered deer. He will have to earn a decent buck like the rest of us.
      X2. This is what I intend to do. This year he gets the doe, after the doe he gets to move up to the spike(with hope this year too). Then smaller rack and then he can chase monsters.

Comment

option a, dont spoil them. make them learn that hunting is a responisbility and it takes work to be a good hunter and outdoorsman. i believe if they kill a monster right off the bat they will be one of those poeple who are never satisfied with what hunting is all about. family friends and the outdoors. comradery. it will be about who has the biggest not who has the best memory.

Comment

My boys will kill does first. Shooting does is an important part of management.

Comment

Originally posted by texas_red_19 View Post
            option a, dont spoil them. make them learn that hunting is a responisbility and it takes work to be a good hunter and outdoorsman. i believe if they kill a monster right off the bat they will be one of those poeple who are never satisfied with what hunting is all about. family friends and the outdoors. comradery. it will be about who has the biggest not who has the best memory.
            yeah

Comment

I think taking a doe is a perfect option for a youngster.

Comment

Option a. Start with the foundation and build from there

Comment

Im with option C dont go out looking for only a small deer, and don't pass on the big ones. I would shoot the first legal/acceptable buck that offered a shot.

Comment

I went with option a for my kids, and have mixed some of Qzilla in with it. Just try to teach them that big deer arent behind every cedar tree like on TV, they have to be grown.

Comment

Start off small and work their way up. If they dont see that ten pointer every time, they may get discouraged by that.

Comment

Working...
                      X