Friday night pigs (and 1 coon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday night pigs (and 1 coon)

I’ll apologize up front, but I don’t have any pics… just have to trust me. Keep in mind, this is my first hunt since having heart surgery in February, so I was pretty excited over this little trip.

I put out a couple of pvc tube feeders and a camera a few weeks ago on the edge of a fresh clear cut. After waiting about 2 weeks, I checked the card and there were about 80 pictures of corn thieves. So I decided to put my green light (by Elusive Wildlife) on my Hoyt and went out this past Friday night to thin out the herd of coons that have been abusing my generosity.

I got to the lease about 9 pm, on my ladder stand about 9:30ish, I didn’t even have time to get settled yet and start hearing pigs grunting and squealing. The first pig comes in alone to about 18yds and stands slightly quartering to me, when I shot him; he jumped forward a little and trotted off back out into the dark.

Absolutely an awesome feeling, to have that rush of adrenaline again!

I tried to settle down, then sat quietly and waited. After just a few minutes I heard a coon climbing a tree toward the feeder. When I turned the green light on him, he got nervous and went back down the tree, once he was back on the ground I shot him, hitting him just above the tail and up thru the torso. After all the growling and carrying on stopped, I sat quietly and waited.

About 10 minutes go by and I can hear the pigs coming in again. This time they come in to about 30 yds and start working around the feeder. Two pigs line up side by side and I couldn’t help it, I sent a Magnus Stinger thru both of them, after some running and squealing. I see the front pig circle around me about 50 yds out and there’s a steady trickle of blood coming from behind its front shoulder and I could hear the second pig grunting and crashing around out too far for me to see.

I realized that I was down to one arrow left on my quiver, I’d been on the stand for less than an hour and shot 3 times!

I found more blood than I thought a coon had in his whole body, but no coon and no arrow.

I found both arrows that shot the pigs. The shot on the first pig was clearly too far back, the arrow had a thin greasy film, very little blood, and stinking to high heaven. So I didn’t even try to track that one. The second shot was much better, blood from nock to tip of the broadhead and blood sprayed out across ground. After about 30-40 minutes of tracking the front pig in the double, I gave up and went back to find the last pig. She only made it about 40 yds and piled up. Since she had already started bloating, I left her for the buzzards and coyotes.

So, I ended the evening with 1 coon, 3 pigs shot, 1 lost arrow, and no meat… but had a blast!

I went out today and spread a little corn near that stand, figure I’ll go back out Thursday night.

Glad you had a good time and welcome back to the woods.

Bisch

Comment

Nice write up congrats on the piggies and coon!

Comment

Nice write up. Congrats bein back in the woods and for the kac n kap

Silent Assassin a.k.a. TexMav

Sent by Samsung 4G via TapaTalk

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Sounds like a perfect Friday night to me! Congrats.

Comment

Sounds like a good time. Congrats. Hope all is well and you have many more nights like that.
                BTW - tell me about this green light you use. I shot a pig Sunday morning but did not have enough light to see my pin very well. I had a red, solar powered light zip tied to my feeder, but the pig was just a black silhouette.

Comment

Congrats, sounds like you had a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by arrowdynamic View Post
                    Sounds like a good time. Congrats. Hope all is well and you have many more nights like that.
                    BTW - tell me about this green light you use. I shot a pig Sunday morning but did not have enough light to see my pin very well. I had a red, solar powered light zip tied to my feeder, but the pig was just a black silhouette.
                    Below is a link to the light that I have on my bow, I've only used it a few times, but so far it's great.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Andy

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice write up,and a big ole' Congrats.

Comment

Working...