Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m not hearing coyotes like I used to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m not hearing coyotes like I used to...

I’ve owned my place for 5 years in the southern end of a Franklin county. I used to hear coyotes all the time. Last year, they seemed to not sing as much. This year, I haven’t really heard them. It almost seems like they are disappearing? Several years ago, they’d light up at sunset...not anymore. Spent 5 nights in the woods last week, never heard a yote. Thoughts...other than lucky?

global warming.

Comment

Don’t question it LOL

Trump isn’t their President so they left?

Comment

And that’s a problem how? Don’t forget they are your number one fawn killer. Believe me they are still around.

Comment

Lucky you !

Comment

We dont always hear them, but they are there.
            Seen several on camera lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
              I’ve owned my place for 5 years in the southern end of a Franklin county. I used to hear coyotes all the time. Last year, they seemed to not sing as much. This year, I haven’t really heard them. It almost seems like they are disappearing? Several years ago, they’d light up at sunset...not anymore. Spent 5 nights in the woods last week, never heard a yote. Thoughts...other than lucky?
              Maybe people are keeping their cats indoors these days.

Comment

I've noticed the opposite in North Texas, hear them every day were out there and been seeing a ton

Comment

We’re the opposite at our lease. Been there ten years and the last two we are seeing and hearing coyotes more than ever. I really didn’t think we had any for the first six years. All of a sudden they’re showing up on game cams and we’re hearing them every night.

Comment

You probably have someone trapping or shooting them or both. We used to have quite a few coyotes, where we lived. Every afternoon at 3:30 and then around 5:30, they would sound off. We really enjoyed listening to them. I would keep their numbers in check and killed any of them that came within 100 yards of the house. The older dogs knew to stay clear of the house, but every couple of years, we would get some young coyotes that would come up to the house, they would die. The den that was behind the house, I tried to leave alone for the most part, that was the group we would hear every evening. At night, I could get a good idea of how many were in the area, when they all started howling or barking. Typically if I killed 10 to 15 a year, their numbers did not increase and they did not cause many problems. But the two years, I did not shoot any, because I did not hunt, because I was not able to get around very well for those two years. Their numbers went up a lot. It took a few years to get their numbers back down, to where they had been. Once I got their numbers back down, I cut back on shooting them. During that time I was trying to get their numbers back down, they did not make much noise.

Anytime I did shoot a coyote, other dogs from the same group or pack would howl a different song that night. So I am sure all of the rest of the coyotes, knew I had killed another one of their buddies. When I would kill multiple in a short period of time, they would get quiet afterwards, for weeks or longer.

But there was a time period, when the coyotes got very quiet for quite a while, we could not figure out what was going on. Eventually I figured out someone else was hunting them, with a electronic call. They seemed to know that the guy was specifically hunting them, so they got very quiet for almost a year. They eventually went back to their normal routine, when the other guy quit hunting them, but it took a while.

Comment

They've gone through the fall dispersal and coming into breeding season, young males get their buts kicked if they make to much noise in the wrong neighborhood, the same for young females with the added problem of possible sexual assault. Numbers quite possibly brought down by hunting/trapping, I'm guessing you'll start hearing them again about the time this seasons pups get big enough to come out of the den.

Comment

They have nightly and morning parties at my place. It is crazy. So many yapping it's disturbing. They ve woken me up many times at 530am going nuts yapping. They're some quick jokers.

Comment

Good. I'm currently at war with them in Mason county. Our family ranch and now my lease. Between them, foxes, and coons, I launch a lot of lead. Be happy they aren't around.

Comment

We are hearing more and more in the cotton fields behind the house in Midland.

Comment

I have killed 4 of them and there are still 3 of them living about 300yds away from my house. I have gotten as close as 20yds from them without spooking them (I did not have my gun with me, either time). These yotes come out in broad daylight and will lay down in the middle of the pasture and bask in the sun. They even walk among the neighbors cows. Never seen yotes be social like this before. On a positive note, they have solved the rat/mice problem I used to have.

Comment

Working...
                              X