San Angelo SP Youth Hunt (drawn)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Angelo SP Youth Hunt (drawn)

After years of putting in my son was drawn this year for his second hunt through the TPWD. Last year for a doe hunt at the Chaparral and this year at the San Angelo SP (either sex); 4 deer/two bucks/unlimited exotics. I received such great information and feedback last year I thought I’d toss out a few question.

Anyone hunted here before? What can we expect as for as camping (do I need to bring a tent or are there cabins for use and showers)? Two bucks but only one forked horn deer; is there a chance for a big one or should he shoot the first deer he sees? Unlimited exotics; can anyone expand on what exotics are in the SP area? Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My son also got drawn for this hunt we hunted there last year on an annual public hunting permit only went one weekend saw one small 6 and lots of does they do have cabins and showers there need to book one myself

Comment

I do all my deer huntin out there with a bow through the APH. I've killed at least 1 deer there every year. Haven't seen any monster bucks in person but I know they're out there. I've caught several really nice bucks on camera. 130s-140s one that was pushing in the 150s. So yes I would try and hold out for a good buck. Depending on where Yall hunt getting meat shouldn't be a problem.
      As far as exotics there are a few and I mean a few axis roaming around. I've there for 4 years and have yet to see one so don't gets your hopes up on one of them but there is still a chance. Javis are in the area as well as pigs.
      As for camping you can use a tent bring a travel trailer or rent a cabin.

Good luck on the hunt let us know how it goes

Comment

back to the top.... heading out this weekend. anyone else have any info?

Comment

Don't have any info but will also be there with my daughter.

Comment

I was just informed that they did deer counts on Tuesday and the east side where Yall will be huntin is full of deer

Comment

How did the hunt go?

Comment

My son got a small 9 point Sunday around noon at the check station they said that was number 12 didn't go back to check final count

Comment

Originally posted by docxtc View Post
                  My son got a small 9 point Sunday around noon at the check station they said that was number 12 didn't go back to check final count
                  Cool deal
                  Tell him congrats

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

My daughter took a small 5 point Saturday and then a doe Sunday morning. We left after lunch on Sunday so didn't see the Sunday evening results but I called yesterday and was told the final total was 20 deer.

I saw 7 Bucks and 2 does at the cleaning shed from the Saturday evening hunt and a buck and doe Sunday morning. So not counting yours there would have been 8 more Sunday evening.

BTW - we should passed on the 5 pt as we we covered up with bucks on Saturday and he was the smallest of the bunch but the first to come out so he hit the ground.

Comment

Had a great time at San Angelo. My 10 yr old son shot his first 2 deer ever. He shot a spike and this 8 pt.

Comment

Originally posted by Boone44 View Post
                          Had a great time at San Angelo. My 10 yr old son shot his first 2 deer ever. He shot a spike and this 8 pt.
                          Congrats to the young man. Great first buck

Comment

Working...
                          X