No announcement yet.

Travel Trailer vs Motorhome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me I have to have a one ton for work no matter what, so I’ve got a travel trailer. Work pays for the truck so I just had to buy the trailer. It works for me because I can take it to the deer lease, camping, etc and not have to worry about messing up a big fancy motor home. It’s nusy me most of the time so I have a smaller camper that is extremely easy to pull.

With that said, one day I will absolutely travel the country in a DIESEL pusher. I think when you’re going Long road trips a MH is 100% the way to go. They’re much more comfortable and easy to set up, not to mention with three kids you don’t have to pull over every time someone has to potty. My grandparents were full time in one for 4 years and have absolutely no regrets.

Comment

I think the Diesel Pusher would be fun, but is it more practical to YOU is the question

Comment

We've been full-time for two years now. Had the coach for four. Went from a 27 foot bumper pull.

Just to let you know Texas requires a Class B Non CDL for it. And the toad requires a brake system if it's over 4500 pounds. Most states are 2500 or less. Depends on the state you are driving in.

Comment

We have owned numerous travel trailers and two motorhomes. On the motorhomes, the diesel pusher was the way to go. Much better mileage and pulled the jeep, without a problem.
          We now pull a fifth wheel trailer and I would never go back to a motorhome. It's just so much easier to get around in, easy pulling and best of all you don't have to fight crosswinds. Those winds will get you old quick in a motorhome.
          Just my 0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
            We have owned numerous travel trailers and two motorhomes. On the motorhomes, the diesel pusher was the way to go. Much better mileage and pulled the jeep, without a problem.
            We now pull a fifth wheel trailer and I would never go back to a motorhome. It's just so much easier to get around in, easy pulling and best of all you don't have to fight crosswinds. Those winds will get you old quick in a motorhome.
            Just my 0.02.
            Thanks.

That's the info I'm trying to get. We want another kid so at some point its going to be hard to travel like we do in a pickup and a trailer.

Wish they would make a new excursion or and SUV that would pull a little more comfortably.

Comment

Even with the slides in there is enough room to get to the bedroom and bathroom. Can cook going down the road.

Set-up is the best part. Pull into your spot, deflate the air suspension, hit the auto level button, and pop out the slides. Two minutes tops.

The house batteries will run the residential frig for a couple of days.

Comment

OOPS....I just saw that you had posted in that link....

Anyway...tried to help...

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                  Motor home is the way to travel and trailers are the way to stay once you get there. Decide if you're going to spend more time on the road or more time in a campground

Have done it both ways and this is spot on.

Comment

In 2015 we bought a 38ft 5th wheel and ended up traveling about 10,000 Mile’s with it in just about a year. Let me tell you with 3 kids ranging from ages 8 to 16 and my wife and fuel stops it felt like we stopped every 30 minutes. So at right about a year in with the 5th wheel we traded it in and bought a 40ft diesel pusher and what a difference. Now we only have to stop if I have to use the restroom. We can do about 700 miles on tank of fuel. We don’t need to stop to eat or whatever else unless we want to.

But the best part is it keeps the kids entertained, tv, radio sleeping in there bed. And not getting on each other’s nerves. It totally eliminates the cabin fever of being coupled up in a car for hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Travel Trailer vs Motorhome

One thing you need to consider is, if it’s currently cramped in your truck with 3 kids and you are talking about another, then a small tow behind vehicle won’t be an option so you may be stuck driving 2 vehicles if you went the pusher route.

There is a company doing Duramax conversions on Suburbans, and I’ve seen Super Duty conversions to Excursions as well. Not sure how cost feasible they are though. With that option you obviously would be towing a tongue pull trailer which given the size trailer you would need would likely suck.

I know there are companies that are doing stretch conversions to make 6 door Super Duties which would allow you to tow a 5th wheel. Again don’t know how cost feasible or how towing would be affected.

Any way you go I see $$$$$$$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My neighbor bought a new motor home and it spends more time in shop than camping. Also have to take two vehicles everywhere so no way of getting around once your there. Travel trailer is the way if you do a lot of camping. hotels or cabins are cheaper in the long run if you put a pencil to it.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                          My neighbor bought a new motor home and it spends more time in shop than camping. Also have to take two vehicles everywhere so no way of getting around once your there. Travel trailer is the way if you do a lot of camping. hotels or cabins are cheaper in the long run if you put a pencil to it.
                          Worth the extra money to sleep in your own bed IMO.

Comment

In the reverse situation. If you decide to sell the truck i might be interested. Need to be able pull a couple 5th wheel trailers at my new place.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              One thing you need to consider is, if it’s currently cramped in your truck with 3 kids and you are talking about another, then a small tow behind vehicle won’t be an option so you may be stuck driving 2 vehicles if you went the pusher route.

There is a company doing Duramax conversions on Suburbans, and I’ve seen Super Duty conversions to Excursions as well. Not sure how cost feasible they are though. With that option you obviously would be towing a tongue pull trailer which given the size trailer you would need would likely suck.

I know there are companies that are doing stretch conversions to make 6 door Super Duties which would allow you to tow a 5th wheel. Again don’t know how cost feasible or how towing would be affected.

Any way you go I see $$$$$$$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              I've looked at the Excursion option through Rad Rides by Tim and it would set me back about 40k for the conversion. It would be pretty sweet though.

Comment

Working...
                              X