Educate me- Sleeping bag for elk hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me- Sleeping bag for elk hunting

My wife asked me what’s a good sleeping bag for my Christmas present- a really good one for Montana-cold since the plan is to retire there there next year.

I was looking at KUIU and their 0 degree bag is $700- and weighs 2.5 pounds. The REI Magma10 is $350 and 2 pounds. What other options should I look at for a 0 degree bag if I’ll be packing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd recommend a home!

Comment

What season you hunting? If bow, a 30-40* bag will work. If weather turns sour you can streatch the same bag with aliner and if need be sleep in your clothes. Using a 0* or neg rated bag in sept will not only be heavy but will swat you out of it most years.

Comment

I use two medium bags during muzzleloader, one for thermal barrier and one to sleep. During cold weather I use a mummy bag with thermal barrier

I also don't backpack in so weight isn't an issue for me. Not sure if this helps or not

Comment

Big Agnes

Comment

Two bags.. a 20 degree main rectangular bag with another 20 mummy bag on the inside. I've done this twice while in Colorado and was sweating and had to sleep in underwear.

Comment

This is where you can browse products in this store.

Comment

Those mummy bags wont let you turn/roll a like a square one will. Just FYI.

Comment

Western mountaineering makes the best down bags IMHO. I've had a 25 degree Alder bag for 10+ years. It's all I use in CO archery season and here in Texas all winter.. They have lots of size and temp choices.

They are located in San Jose so maybe you already know about them.

Comment

So I've done a lot of Mountain hunts and have never used a zero degree bag. As others have stated that would be a very limited late season bag.

I have a Big Agnes 30 degree bag that works in about 80% of the conditions I would be in. For the other 20% of the time, I can add a liner and/or a bivy sack to it and get it down to a zero degree bag. I've been out in weather that was in the single digits and did not get cold with this setup.

I'd also point out that the R value of your sleeping pad is very critical to how well your bag will perform.

Comment

Nevermind.. I read ur post again. Don’t look at the Butler Bag for packing.. it’s heavy.
                      Maybe a feathered friends bag?

Comment

Originally posted by misn_tx View Post
                        What season you hunting? If bow, a 30-40* bag will work. If weather turns sour you can streatch the same bag with aliner and if need be sleep in your clothes. Using a 0* or neg rated bag in sept will not only be heavy but will swat you out of it most years.

Also, if it does happen to get really cold you can always toss a couple hot hands in the bag about 30 min before you crawl into it and it will ease the coldest of nights
                        Op....absolutly no need for a bag that's several hundred bucks

Comment

If you're packing it and really expecting temps below the teens, get a Western Mountaineering Versalite 10 degree bag.

Comment

Best sleeping bags I've ever used were Holliday Inn! I know, Iknow- absolutely no help, just haven't been been able to control the smart arse impulses lately.

Comment

What season (how cold?)? Are you going to be in a tent? If so, I would encourage you to stay away from down bags. Down is very warm and very light, but you HAVE TO KEEP IT DRY. Once down gets wet it loses its loft and has ZERO insulating properties. You have to be very careful with it. Tent condensation. A leak in your tent roof or floor. Sweat. If you are going to be hunting in temps that stay well below zero then it's not a bad choice b/c things won't be too wet, just frozen. But even then you have to baby it and that's not something I'm willing to do. A synthetic bag will be heavier (~ 4lbs, depending on temp rating) but there is so much less to worry about. With synthetic, If you get caught in some precipitation, you can just crawl in your bag with those wet clothes and even wet boots on and your body will dry out the clothes so you are ready to go in the morning. The bag will be damp, but it will still keep you warm.

My advice is to buy a Kifaru slick bag and forget about it. It's not going to be cheap, but it is absolutely bomb proof. They have a -20F, 0F and a 20F and I'd say their temp ratings are pretty spot on. I personally use the 20F, regular length, wide (5'11"; 190lbs). I sleep cold and was perfectly fine in it camped in WY in Sept for archery elk. It was down to 23F several nights. I also have the Kifaru Woobie, which is great down to about 40F and/or glassing. I didn't new to do it, but if the temps got really low then I can add the woobie inside my bag and essentially it becomes a 0F sleep system.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X