Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #51
Crazy Horse
Ten Point
 
Crazy Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hunt In: Kerr County & Hallettsville
Default

There was a pit attack just this week in Clear Lake...

(2) pits literally went on a rampage...

They ran from one neighborhood to the next...covered over a mile...
Something like (8) people attacked, two dogs killed & they even jumped through a bay window to get to one dog they killed....

HPD was running all over tracking them...
Took something like (8) people to load them in the anaimal control truck they were so crazed...

I'll see if I can locate the news report on it...one of the victims was a family friend, so this is no fake news BS...
Crazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 05:39 PM   #52
Fishcat91
Eight Point
 
Fishcat91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Victoria Tx
Hunt In: Secret Spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing_bone View Post
LOL.....no spelling police here. I’m not trying to spoil anybody on a breed of dog. When we were picking our JRT out All I heard from our families was so and so’s horror stories on every JRT they heard of. Our Scout is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever owned. Now she is in constant need of attention. LOL....hey she’s a lover. Anyway back at it. I’m not going to bang on anybody that is a responsible dog owner, BUT a lot of the pit owners are not and want the the most ****** dog anybody has ever seen. It has come to be a status symbol in some “communities”. These same people use them as scare tactics as well. I remember the Rotties and German Shepard’s going through this same deal.
I like the jrt. Buddy of mine has one and she is wound up non stop. Good dogs for sure. I've been around dogs my whole life. Grew up with my dad running hog dogs, I ran dogs up until about a year ago. We had some bad pits mixes that we had to deal with for sure and we handled them accordingly. I agree a lot of people shouldn't own the more aggressive breeds. Just like some people should own guns.
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #53
Lostacresranch
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default Pit bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
Well let's hear the facts.


I've stated them. Pittbulls are less than 9% of dogs owned. They kill more humans than all other breeds combined. As I said, it facts. You can easily find those facts yourself.
If you can find numbers to prove me wrong, you can post them.

Correction...as of 2016, pittbulls are less than 7% of dog populations. But they still kill more than other breeds.

Last edited by Lostacresranch; 12-27-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #54
Junkers88
Ten Point
 
Junkers88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Marcos
Hunt In: searching
Default

I don't think comparing pits to AR15's, and the arguments for both, is really comparing apples to apples. Maybe I'm confused about the arguments but an AR15 isn't going to get out of the safe and go running through the neighborhood hurting people. Can't say the same about a pit.

I've only ever been around a few pits.
1) My buddy owned one that charged me and bit two others over the course of a month before it was put down.
2) While dove hunting one year we had a pit run at us from a quarter mile out, crossing two different property lines, while his owner yelled at it to stop. Dog caught a chest full of 7.5 at a range of less than 10 feet. Opened him up like a beer can. Darn thing was heck bent on attacking someone. (no I didn't shoot it)
3) Good friend of mine up in Killeen has had big pits for as long as I've known him. Last one was 100lbs easy and the biggest teddy bear you'd ever meet. I'd not trust that dog around my wife or child though.


Yes sometimes it's the owner and sometimes its the dog breed. For me though I'll just stay away from them and not risk getting injured. Same reason I don't drive through certain parts of San Antonio after dark.

God bless and happy hunting.
Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #55
Lostacresranch
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Me too, considering I'm not the one who stated I had anything.


I think he was directing that at me.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #56
Jayt22
Ten Point
 
Jayt22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Forney
Hunt In: Cracka county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Yep, I hear about killer labs and poodles all the time...
Lol!
Jayt22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #57
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostacresranch View Post
I think he was directing that at me.
Oh, I know. He seems to have gone quiet now.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #58
Fishcat91
Eight Point
 
Fishcat91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Victoria Tx
Hunt In: Secret Spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Oh, I know. He seems to have gone quiet now.
Dang it I knew I should of told y'all I was gonna be silent for a little bit. Was driving. Don't like to text and drive. I'm back now though
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #59
Fishcat91
Eight Point
 
Fishcat91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Victoria Tx
Hunt In: Secret Spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Horse View Post
There was a pit attack just this week in Clear Lake...

(2) pits literally went on a rampage...

They ran from one neighborhood to the next...covered over a mile...
Something like (8) people attacked, two dogs killed & they even jumped through a bay window to get to one dog they killed....

HPD was running all over tracking them...
Took something like (8) people to load them in the anaimal control truck they were so crazed...

I'll see if I can locate the news report on it...one of the victims was a family friend, so this is no fake news BS...
Sounds like a bullet would of worked better for them instead of trying to get two dogs like that under control...... I'm not saying some aren't crazy I know they can be.
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #60
Fishcat91
Eight Point
 
Fishcat91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Victoria Tx
Hunt In: Secret Spot
Default

My whole deal is that not all pits are crazy. Some can be. just like some people can be crazy. The crazy ones need to be dealt with...... most people think that just because of the breed it's automatically bad, is not fair to do that. If you see somebody walking around with a dew rag on their head or turban wrapped around their head are they automatically bad? Some may be bad, the others can be good , but does that give us the right to go around shooting and killing everybody that wears a dew rag or turban? ( I say that because I have seen people post on other PB threads say that if they see a pit crossing their yard they will shoot them lol) I originally got in this conversation because of the logic of argument some are using. I never said pits are a saint of an animal.
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 09:51 PM   #61
Lostacresranch
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
My whole deal is that not all pits are crazy. Some can be. just like some people can be crazy. The crazy ones need to be dealt with...... most people think that just because of the breed it's automatically bad, is not fair to do that. If you see somebody walking around with a dew rag on their head or turban wrapped around their head are they automatically bad? Some may be bad, the others can be good , but does that give us the right to go around shooting and killing everybody that wears a dew rag or turban? ( I say that because I have seen people post on other PB threads say that if they see a pit crossing their yard they will shoot them lol) I originally got in this conversation because of the logic of argument some are using. I never said pits are a saint of an animal.


I can't reply to posts not here or on other threads, only what I see on the current thread. I haven't seen anyone here saying they will shoot all Pitts, but I don't doubt people have said it before.
You commented on the logic of the argument, and compared it to liberal arguments regarding gun control. I don't think that is relevant, and stated why. I also don't think your comparison of people's bigotry toward a type of people to pittbull fatalities is logical. But that's my opinion.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 10:04 PM   #62
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
I agree dogs aren't protected.... but it's still hiding behind the same arguments as a liberal would use
Not even close..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 10:22 PM   #63
Fishcat91
Eight Point
 
Fishcat91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Victoria Tx
Hunt In: Secret Spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Not even close..
lol it's whatever. Y'all have yalls side and I have mine. Neither will change the way we think. I think my way and you think your way.......

Pits are mean and kill. We don't need them. We have tons of other nice puppy's in this world that are fluffy and cute to to have around our house. Why do you need a pit bull they just hurt people that's all they are good for...... lol
Is that's what y'all are wanting me to say?
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #64
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
lol it's whatever. Y'all have yalls side and I have mine. Neither will change the way we think. I think my way and you think your way.......

Pits are mean and kill. We don't need them. We have tons of other nice puppy's in this world that are fluffy and cute to to have around our house. Why do you need a pit bull they just hurt people that's all they are good for...... lol
Is that's what y'all are wanting me to say?
I had friends who once thought like you do UNTIL their Big red male Pit literally tried to eat their child... All of the sudden they were believers..
I tried to tell them but they never would listen.. Maybe I should have tried a little harder.. To late for that now.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #65
Lostacresranch
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
lol it's whatever. Y'all have yalls side and I have mine. Neither will change the way we think. I think my way and you think your way.......



Pits are mean and kill. We don't need them. We have tons of other nice puppy's in this world that are fluffy and cute to to have around our house. Why do you need a pit bull they just hurt people that's all they are good for...... lol

Is that's what y'all are wanting me to say?


I don't think anyone wants to make you say anything.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #66
Fishcat91
Eight Point
 
Fishcat91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Victoria Tx
Hunt In: Secret Spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
I had friends who once thought like you do UNTIL their Big red male Pit literally tried to eat their child... All of the sudden they were believers..
I tried to tell them but they never would listen.. Maybe I should have tried a little harder.. To late for that now.
And that's sad to hear. Hopefully their kid recoverd fully, and Hopefully they put the dog down. I have been bitten by pits, curr's, healers, and other mutts, the only one that didn't get lead poison was the blue healer. ( wasent one of my dogs ). Again we can go down the road of all dogs can bite. Yes pits can have a harder bite. One reason they make such good hog dogs. I don't have kids. Who knows maybe I will change my mind about have certain breeds around my kids when I eventually have kids. Like I've stated above in another post certain breeds of dogs shouldn't be owned by certain people I think we can all agree on that. I don't think there should ever be ban on the dog breed though.
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 06:55 AM   #67
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
lol it's funny how y'all pick and choose. It's either one or the other. You can't have it both ways.... we have plenty other rifles to hunt with, just like we have plenty other breeds of dogs to choose as a pet. I own a bulldog because guess what I can. Just the same as an ar-15. I own one, because guess what I can. You can't dance around the fact that y'all are using the same argument as liberal when it comes down to this subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
I don't think they should be banned, I was simply pointing out you can't compare a pit bull to an AR15. It's two completely different things. To act like there are parallels there is being intellectually dishonest.

If you want to own a pit, have at it. Just be a responsible owner. That way, if anyone gets harmed, it will only be you.
And this right here is the problem. 100% of the time when pits attack the owner swears it's not their fault.

You can't pick up a gun and shoot someone and then blame the gun.

If there was a way to hold all dog owners equally accountable for their dogs I'd have no problem with pit bulls. But we all know most are never held accountable.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #68
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Clay C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Horse View Post
There was a pit attack just this week in Clear Lake...

(2) pits literally went on a rampage...

They ran from one neighborhood to the next...covered over a mile...
Something like (8) people attacked, two dogs killed & they even jumped through a bay window to get to one dog they killed....

HPD was running all over tracking them...
Took something like (8) people to load them in the anaimal control truck they were so crazed...

I'll see if I can locate the news report on it...one of the victims was a family friend, so this is no fake news BS...
There was another on Christmas Eve where a woman and her husband were attacked by their own Pit. The woman was killed and the husband severely injured. He was charged with harboring a vicious animal.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #69
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Clay C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
And this right here is the problem. 100% of the time when pits attack the owner swears it's not their fault.

You can't pick up a gun and shoot someone and then blame the gun.

If there was a way to hold all dog owners equally accountable for their dogs I'd have no problem with pit bulls. But we all know most are never held accountable.
There's a reason the musli.... oops, pit bull apologists (sorry for the confusion, it's the same liberal logic) get so defensive. It's because the reason they own the dog in the first place is to be edgy. They pick a pit bull with intention of having to defend their selection. Unless you are an avid hog dogger or the quarter back for the Atlanta Falcons, there is absolutely no benefit to having one. They aren't known as good family, dogs, they aren't known as good bird dogs etc.. They are known for one thing. People buy them as pets because they know the perception that comes with it and they want to show how edgy and cool they are.

In conclusion. Unless you're a hog dogger or Michael Vick, Pit Bull owner=hipster

Last edited by Clay C; 12-28-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 08:09 AM   #70
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
There's a reason the musli.... oops, pit bull apologists (sorry for the confusion, it's the same liberal logic) get so defensive. It's because the reason they own the dog in the first place is to be edgy. They pick a pit bull with intention of having to defend their selection. Unless you are an avid hog dogger or the quarter back for the Atlanta Falcons, there is absolutely no benefit to having one. They aren't known as good family, dogs, they aren't known as good bird dogs etc.. They are known for one thing. People buy them as pets because they know the perception that comes with it and they want to show how edgy and cool they are.

In conclusion. Unless you're a hog dogger or Michael Vick, Pit Bull owner=hipster
Nailed it. ...drops mic, walks off stage...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #71
Muskles
Ten Point
 
Muskles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Jacksonville
Hunt In: Cherokee Co
Default

We need someone to to post a hula hoop gif! How many people have been bucked off a horse, and crippled or killed, that the owner said "anyone can ride her"? Doesn't happen as often now because less people own horses, but it happens. (I know it's not the exact same logic!) Pit bulls will run their course like the Rottweiler, Doberman, Chow etc. I agree most people should not be allowed to own them and they should not be allowed to run loose. Fact is that all animals, no matter how trained they are, have a mind and temperament of their own. The larger and stronger the animal, the more damage it does. Not sure I'd call pit lovers Muslims, but that's a good way to get the thread wacked though!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #72
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Clay C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskles View Post
We need someone to to post a hula hoop gif! How many people have been bucked off a horse, and crippled or killed, that the owner said "anyone can ride her"? Doesn't happen as often now because less people own horses, but it happens. (I know it's not the exact same logic!) Pit bulls will run their course like the Rottweiler, Doberman, Chow etc. I agree most people should not be allowed to own them and they should not be allowed to run loose. Fact is that all animals, no matter how trained they are, have a mind and temperament of their own. The larger and stronger the animal, the more damage it does. Not sure I'd call pit lovers Muslims, but that's a good way to get the thread wacked though!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I agree with your first statement.

I didn't call them Muslims.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #73
Fishcat91
Eight Point
 
Fishcat91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Victoria Tx
Hunt In: Secret Spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
There's a reason the musli.... oops, pit bull apologists (sorry for the confusion, it's the same liberal logic) get so defensive. It's because the reason they own the dog in the first place is to be edgy. They pick a pit bull with intention of having to defend their selection. Unless you are an avid hog dogger or the quarter back for the Atlanta Falcons, there is absolutely no benefit to having one. They aren't known as good family, dogs, they aren't known as good bird dogs etc.. They are known for one thing. People buy them as pets because they know the perception that comes with it and they want to show how edgy and cool they are.

In conclusion. Unless you're a hog dogger or Michael Vick, Pit Bull owner=hipster
Lmao hipsters? Haha I don't think hipsters have enough balls to own a pit. Like most people they are scared of a lot of things. Here you go with your liberal logic. Hipsters these day I swear
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #74
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Clay C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
Lmao hipsters? Haha I don't think hipsters have enough balls to own a pit. Like most people they are scared of a lot of things. Here you go with your liberal logic. Hipsters these day I swear
Thank you for proving my point.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #75
Fishcat91
Eight Point
 
Fishcat91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Victoria Tx
Hunt In: Secret Spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
Thank you for proving my point.
Or own a gun, or go hunting, or fishing, or have an outside job that requires work. I'm saying you must not know what a hipster is saying they are the only ones who would want to own a pit other then hunters
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #76
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Clay C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
Or own a gun, or go hunting, or fishing, or have an outside job that requires work. I'm saying you must not know what a hipster is saying they are the only ones who would want to own a pit other then hunters
Why would someone need balls to own a dog?
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #77
Fishcat91
Eight Point
 
Fishcat91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Victoria Tx
Hunt In: Secret Spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
Why would someone need balls to own a dog?
Guess you ever herd of animals sensing fear. You own the dog. Don't let the dog own you.
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #78
LFD2037
Pope & Young
 
LFD2037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hunt In: Over yonder
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post

You can't pick up a gun and shoot someone and then blame the gun.
Yet it happens every day! (in a liberals mind/argument)
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #79
100%TtId
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Ask a LEO what they think when they roll up on a house with a pitbull in the yard.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2017, 02:45 AM   #80
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
There's a reason the musli.... oops, pit bull apologists (sorry for the confusion, it's the same liberal logic) get so defensive. It's because the reason they own the dog in the first place is to be edgy. They pick a pit bull with intention of having to defend their selection. Unless you are an avid hog dogger or the quarter back for the Atlanta Falcons, there is absolutely no benefit to having one. They aren't known as good family, dogs, they aren't known as good bird dogs etc.. They are known for one thing. People buy them as pets because they know the perception that comes with it and they want to show how edgy and cool they are.

In conclusion. Unless you're a hog dogger or Michael Vick, Pit Bull owner=hipster
Spot On... Your exactly right.
The few people and family that I know that still own these dogs, as family pets, fit your stereo type to the T.

Trying to be edgy and controversial... Can't wait to go into defense mode..

Now I do know a few hog doggers that actually have a use for these dogs.. But not many.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2017, 04:44 AM   #81
steven
Eight Point
 
steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brachfield
Hunt In: Rusk Co
Default

I can't see how the whole "it's not the breed its the owner" argument ever held any water. I've seen spaniels that have never had a lick of training "point" out birds, and almost all labs are naturals in the water. They're born with it, its in their nature. Just like other breeds that were bred to be killers are naturally aggressive.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #82
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Clay C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
I can't see how the whole "it's not the breed its the owner" argument ever held any water. I've seen spaniels that have never had a lick of training "point" out birds, and almost all labs are naturals in the water. They're born with it, its in their nature. Just like other breeds that were bred to be killers are naturally aggressive.
It's that liberal logic .
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #83
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
Lmao hipsters? Haha I don't think hipsters have enough balls to own a pit. Like most people they are scared of a lot of things. Here you go with your liberal logic. Hipsters these day I swear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
Why would someone need balls to own a dog?
I think he admitted pits a mean vicious dogs LOL



I will agree that pit owners should be held accountable when their dog kills or hurts someone the exact same as if a gun owner took his gun and killed/injured someone.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #84
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
There's a reason the musli.... oops, pit bull apologists (sorry for the confusion, it's the same liberal logic) get so defensive. It's because the reason they own the dog in the first place is to be edgy. They pick a pit bull with intention of having to defend their selection. Unless you are an avid hog dogger or the quarter back for the Atlanta Falcons, there is absolutely no benefit to having one. They aren't known as good family, dogs, they aren't known as good bird dogs etc.. They are known for one thing. People buy them as pets because they know the perception that comes with it and they want to show how edgy and cool they are.

In conclusion. Unless you're a hog dogger or Michael Vick, Pit Bull owner=hipster
I agree there is this perceived tough guy, macho bravado that pit owners have. Same goes for those that own venomous snakes in their home. They want to push the envelope and walk the edge for whatever personal reasons...the danger, insecurities, adrenaline , "because that's what bad *** tough guys do...." When one attacks it's never the breed but the owners.

Same mentality for rodeo rough stock riders. Bulls, Broncs and bares. I rode all three. And was somewhat successful in two. I did it for the adrenaline rush, the danger, and to hear the crowd and in Highschool the chicks dig it. Every time someone got seriously hurt or killed , as a contestant you blamed something else but walked away with the mentality it wont happen to me, knowing dang sure in your mind that could and will someday you. As tuff or lane said " don't be scared to follow your dreams...but be willing to pay the price." A few guys like me were willing and I feel the cost everyday today. The question isn't if you're gonna get hurt but when and how bad. Pit owners aren't much different mentally ...the difference is the Bulls and Broncs that could hurt me are showcased in an arena, where I was ready and willing. Not in a living room or walking down the street with no knowledge of the danger!
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 07:58 AM   #85
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

I'm not 100% against the breed.
After watching these dogs in acition I'll say The breed does have its place.. Small place... If I were a hog dogger I would want some but I would trust them about as much as I would trust a hand raised mountain lion or bobcat.. Not much..

I DO NOT think that they should be allowed to be owned and kept within the CITY LIMITS... They are to unpredictable and dangerous to be around a population.. Not allowing them in the city limits would greatly cut down on attacks and I agree that the owner should be at blame and not the breed...
You Have Been Warned.. You know the risks.. Take care of your business...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #86
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Default

Not many hog doggers in this world..................0001% or less I reckon! Probably about the same number of folks that fight pit bulls. I have experienced both. Both interesting but neither something I need to do again. I reckon the money being exchanged in the fights are waaaaay more substantial than in hogs........I could be wrong.......lol!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #87
tradtiger
Pope & Young
 
tradtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
I'm not 100% against the breed.
After watching these dogs in acition I'll say The breed does have its place.. Small place... If I were a hog dogger I would want some but I would trust them about as much as I would trust a hand raised mountain lion or bobcat.. Not much..

I DO NOT think that they should be allowed to be owned and kept within the CITY LIMITS... They are to unpredictable and dangerous to be around a population.. Not allowing them in the city limits would greatly cut down on attacks and I agree that the owner should be at blame and not the breed...
You Have Been Warned.. You know the risks.. Take care of your business...
If we assume agreement with the merits of keeping pit bulls outside of the city limits, (I realize this is a very big IF) the practical possibility of making this happen would be very difficult.

First, the identification of the animals and setting standards of a bannable percentage of mixes involved would be, at best, very tricky -- maybe impossible to legislate at even a municipal level, much less statewide or nationwide.

Like many things, the answer may lie in insurance stipulations. They are private and can impose fees or determine exclusions based on the real-world facts in front of them. This is a slippery slope, however, as it can extend to many things deemed inherently dangerous -- such as trampolines. Wait, they already address those dastardly bouncing bone breakers. (Insert tongue-in-cheek icon.)

The most practical means to address the issue of pit bulls among us is probably education, peer discussion, maybe public service campaigns. What we're doing in this thread counts as all of these, I would say. Any action by pit owners has to be voluntary, for the most part. I don't see a movement to "ban the breed" by some legislative means passing or even being effective if it did pass.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #88
DFWPI
Pope & Young
 
DFWPI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington
Hunt In: Jack/Young County
Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Yep, I hear about killer labs and poodles all the time...
Hmm, well, I would bet if the thug would own the poodle and the upscale socialite would own the pit, then things might be reversed
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #89
TxAg
Pope & Young
 
TxAg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

We rescued one 8 years ago (see avatar). She’s a model citizen, and our whole neighborhood knows her and like her. We’re very responsible, of course.

She’s overweight at 60#. She was 42# at 1 year old. She’s no muscled up catch dog. She rarely barks and has a gentle mouth. She doesn’t like cats or squirrels but doesn’t have the terrier killer instinct...she’s kind of a wuss.

I would consider another but only through adoption so I can evaluate the temperament and other traits. Frankly, I’d be willin to adopt any mutt with the right qualities.

And for those curious, yes we have small kids. I’d be the first to kill a dog if it ever showed any signs of aggression.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #90
TxAg
Pope & Young
 
TxAg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txag View Post
we rescued one 8 years ago (see avatar). She’s a model citizen, and our whole neighborhood knows her and like her. We’re very responsible, of course.

She’s overweight at 60#. She was 42# at 1 year old. She’s no muscled up catch dog. She rarely barks and has a gentle mouth. She doesn’t like cats or squirrels but doesn’t have the terrier killer instinct...she’s kind of a wuss.

I would consider another but only through adoption so i can evaluate the temperament and other traits. Frankly, i’d be willin to adopt any mutt with the right qualities.

And for those curious, yes we have small kids. I’d be the first to kill a dog if it ever showed any signs of aggression.
mName:  260BDF1E-E54D-4585-B175-92004478396E.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  117.6 KB
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #91
TxAg
Pope & Young
 
TxAg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Name:  2E3BA3F8-9BAE-44D2-BA8C-A28B7D813BA3.jpeg
Views: 147
Size:  87.1 KB
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #92
Lostacresranch
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
If we assume agreement with the merits of keeping pit bulls outside of the city limits, (I realize this is a very big IF) the practical possibility of making this happen would be very difficult.



First, the identification of the animals and setting standards of a bannable percentage of mixes involved would be, at best, very tricky -- maybe impossible to legislate at even a municipal level, much less statewide or nationwide.



Like many things, the answer may lie in insurance stipulations. They are private and can impose fees or determine exclusions based on the real-world facts in front of them. This is a slippery slope, however, as it can extend to many things deemed inherently dangerous -- such as trampolines. Wait, they already address those dastardly bouncing bone breakers. (Insert tongue-in-cheek icon.)



The most practical means to address the issue of pit bulls among us is probably education, peer discussion, maybe public service campaigns. What we're doing in this thread counts as all of these, I would say. Any action by pit owners has to be voluntary, for the most part. I don't see a movement to "ban the breed" by some legislative means passing or even being effective if it did pass.


Well I disagree with some of your post. Many cities and municipalities have installed a legal ban on "pittbulls". Last count it was over 900, not including one of our little towns in my rural parish that had about 500 people living there.
And pittbull owners fought it tooth and nail, so I doubt pittbull owners anywhere will Voluntarily police their own ranks. I can't find a case of it happening without them being forced to address it.
As for enforcing a ban, it can be done legally if a ban is law. Once an owner is sited and fined, it becomes very real. If they own a Pitt that attacks someone in these ban areas, it becomes a crime they are arrested for, and it then becomes an example to others. In my parish, that's what it took to convey the seriousness of the law. After a rash of pittbull attacks, a ban was voted in. Pittbull owners laughed at it until the arrests started with the next attack. Now there hasn't been an attack in 2 years since the ban.
As for breed identification, it's been defined in courts involving fatalities. It doesn't have to be a "registered" Pitt. It's defined by characteristics. Just as any other breed, Pitts have a "standardized criteria". Spaniels, German Shepherds, hounds, all exhibit distinctions that can be identified through breed standards accepted through registries.
And as you said, education is key to understanding the issue. Emotional rants don't help either side. Personal responsibility should be paramount in any discussion.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #93
Muskles
Ten Point
 
Muskles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Jacksonville
Hunt In: Cherokee Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
OMG! She killed and ate a whole deer except for one antler!

Pretty dog.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #94
Lostacresranch
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
Hmm, well, I would bet if the thug would own the poodle and the upscale socialite would own the pit, then things might be reversed


There are 300,000 registered poodles in the US. It's estimated there are a 4 million poodle crossBreeds. Not one fatality.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #95
tradtiger
Pope & Young
 
tradtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostacresranch View Post
Well I disagree with some of your post. Many cities and municipalities have installed a legal ban on "pittbulls". Last count it was over 900, not including one of our little towns in my rural parish that had about 500 people living there.
And pittbull owners fought it tooth and nail, so I doubt pittbull owners anywhere will Voluntarily police their own ranks. I can't find a case of it happening without them being forced to address it.
As for enforcing a ban, it can be done legally if a ban is law. Once an owner is sited and fined, it becomes very real. If they own a Pitt that attacks someone in these ban areas, it becomes a crime they are arrested for, and it then becomes an example to others. In my parish, that's what it took to convey the seriousness of the law. After a rash of pittbull attacks, a ban was voted in. Pittbull owners laughed at it until the arrests started with the next attack. Now there hasn't been an attack in 2 years since the ban.
As for breed identification, it's been defined in courts involving fatalities. It doesn't have to be a "registered" Pitt. It's defined by characteristics. Just as any other breed, Pitts have a "standardized criteria". Spaniels, German Shepherds, hounds, all exhibit distinctions that can be identified through breed standards accepted through registries.
And as you said, education is key to understanding the issue. Emotional rants don't help either side. Personal responsibility should be paramount in any discussion.
Thanks for clarifying the issue with a few facts versus my spit-balling conjecture. As you illustrate, legal remedies are most readily enacted at the local level. One does wonder how many "rashes" of pit bull attacks need to occur to spark more widespread action? Begging the question, how many people have to be maimed or killed in these attacks before more decisive solutions are implemented?
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #96
Lostacresranch
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
Thanks for clarifying the issue with a few facts versus my spit-balling conjecture. As you illustrate, legal remedies are most readily enacted at the local level. One does wonder how many "rashes" of pit bull attacks need to occur to spark more widespread action? Begging the question, how many people have to be maimed or killed in these attacks before more decisive solutions are implemented?


In the case near me, it was 7 attacks on other dogs that resulted in dead pets. All occurred on the property in which those dead dogs lived. There were 3 incidences of aggressive encounters that ended with people killing a pittbull in their yard. In a small town, that was enough to push people to vote for the ban. It coincided with an incident up north in which a child was killed walking down a sidewalk by 2 pittbulls, so that was brought up as a potential possibility. If you had told me 5 years ago there would ever be a ban on a dog breed in this area of redneck cultural conservatism, I would have laughed at you. If it can happen here, it can happen anywhere.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #97
Shinesintx
Ten Point
 
Shinesintx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North of Dallas
Hunt In: South Franklin County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Im personal friends with a veterinarian, in the hill country, who is also a dog bite investigator for the state. He has been doing that job for 25+ years.. The stories he can tell you about Pitts and Rotwielers attacks, and the things he has witnessed, will give you goose bumps.. Chows aren't to be taken lightly either...

My opinion about these breeds should be obvious but my opinion doesn't matter. They are legal and probably always will be but I'm sure if Trump owned one the libs would be trying to get them irraticated... Hmmm..


But those poodles???? Straight up MAN EATERS.
Chows are crazy. Had one in college that attacked my room mates Rotty...he kept going back for more. My chow even challenged me for alpha once...kicked him in the ribs and he never did it again. I’ll never own a chow again, gonna stick with Goldens.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 07:09 PM   #98
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Clay C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
Hmm, well, I would bet if the thug would own the poodle and the upscale socialite would own the pit, then things might be reversed


There are plenty of cases where pits owned my non thugs killed or attacked people.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2017, 08:02 AM   #99
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

The thing that worries me is people think they have a nice pit.

If one is old enough or been around dogs enough they understand that dogs can change in the blink of an eye after years of being the perfect dog. In the case of pits that once that change happens it may be too late.

Dogs are animals. They don't have as much control as you may think. And a person never knows what may set the dog off like a time bomb.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2017, 11:33 PM   #100
LittleLizaMarie
Four Point
 
LittleLizaMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Default

I'm not biased against the breed itself. Every breed of dog had or had it's place in society. Pit Bulls and bulldogs were bred to literally disarm bulls in pit fights. They have huge heads and strong jaws because they would lock onto the bull's nose and hold on. Many modern bulldog breeds were bred for hunting (boars, etc.). So YES, the dogs were indeed bred to fight. YES, many pit bulls make wonderful pets and gentle companions. BUT I don't like that pit bull "advocates" blindly market the breed as the "nanny dog." It's a fighting breed. That should always be taken into account when socializing and training a pit bull.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LittleLizaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com