Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 12-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default Pit bulls

Can we discuss pit bulls in this section? Or is that a topic banned from all of TBH?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilco

Merry Christmas!
txtimetravler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
2good2Btru
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction

Merry Christmas
2good2Btru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Pretty sure civility is the issue. Personal attacks violate forum rules. Should be possible to discuss any topic on its merits without attacking individuals. Individual attack is known as "argumentum ad hominem" and lacks merit in debate.

Merry Christmas!
tradtiger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

I don't think it's the topic of pit bulls that gets the thread wacked. It's when everyone resorts to name calling and insults.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskles View Post
I don't think it's the topic of pit bulls that gets the thread wacked. It's when everyone resorts to name calling and insults.

I think what frustrates me is it appears like the pit lovers do the name calling JUST to get pit threads deleted. They don't want to read the facts or want others to read the facts.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
cuttingedge
Ten Point

Hunt In: hardly at all here

I'll start it off. I don't care for them. I have known some sweet ones, but the vicious ones I have come in contact with outweigh the good, for me personally, anyway.

A friend of mine had one, that when I would come to visit, would lunge at me so hard against the logging chain he had it tied to the well house with, it would jerk itself airborne and back flip. It wasn't just wanting to say hi either.

I told him the dog was a tremendous liability. It got loose eventually and killed one of the neighbor's cows. He had to put it down.
cuttingedge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #8
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingedge View Post

the logging chain he had it tied to the well house with,
There's a large majority of the problem.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #9
Lostacresranch
Six Point

People get emotional with pets. They seem to get aggressively defensive if it's pittbulls. And the argument they use of "small/other dogs bite more people" is correct. But other dogs all combined don't maul and kill people at the numbers in which pittbulls do. Other dogs don't maul and kill other pets at the numbers pittbulls do. As for large dogs as pets, pittbulls rank among the lowest in numbers, yet kill more than all the rest together. Those are simple facts anyone can check from the CDC.
As a large dog owner, I'm confounded by people who would choose this breed as a pet when dozens of others are available. Pitts are extremely strong dogs. They are bred to be muscular and can be hard headed and difficult to control. We've all seen someone being dragged behind one that they can barely hang onto. There are better dogs for pets out their.
The arguement that "my pit wouldn't hurt anything" or "mine wouldn't bite" is as useless as anyone saying that about any dog. But in the case of a Pitt, that bite might be much more serious or a few seconds of uncontrol can cause a disfigurement or death.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 07:37 PM   #10
Fishcat91
Eight Point

Hunt In: Secret Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Can we discuss pit bulls in this section? Or is that a topic banned from all of TBH?
Do you think that pit bulls have the highest rate of attacks and the breed should not be legal to own?
Fishcat91 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #11
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Don’t even start...
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #12
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

I never understood the reason for anyone wanting to own any vicious breed of dog. As mentioned above, "liability" carries a lot of weight. I don't even own a dog, but if I did own a lab, or let's say a poodle, and it accidentally got out, I'm not gonna worry about it mauling anyone. Just my 2 cents worth.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 10:00 PM   #13
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn21 View Post
I never understood the reason for anyone wanting to own any vicious breed of dog. As mentioned above, "liability" carries a lot of weight. I don't even own a dog, but if I did own a lab, or let's say a poodle, and it accidentally got out, I'm not gonna worry about it mauling anyone. Just my 2 cents worth.
Clearly you never been around either a lab or a poodle. Both are aggressive breeds.

And as always, itís all about the owners. Not the animal
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 10:12 PM   #14
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Clearly you never been around either a lab or a poodle. Both are aggressive breeds.

And as always, itís all about the owners. Not the animal
Yep, I hear about killer labs and poodles all the time...
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #15
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Haha. Shhhhh.

But seriously though, one of the worse dog bites Iíve had was from a huge French poodle. Doing an AC call and He would follow around. Didnít back or anything. I paid him no mind at first but when I went to finally pet him he bit the crap out me. Owner said thatís how he was.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #16
Jayt22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cracka county

Quote:
Lol!
Jayt22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #17
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County
Default Hmm

Quote:
Hmm, well, I would bet if the thug would own the poodle and the upscale socialite would own the pit, then things might be reversed
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #18
Lostacresranch
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
Hmm, well, I would bet if the thug would own the poodle and the upscale socialite would own the pit, then things might be reversed

There are 300,000 registered poodles in the US. It's estimated there are a 4 million poodle crossBreeds. Not one fatality.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:09 PM   #19
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post

There are plenty of cases where pits owned my non thugs killed or attacked people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #20
locknload
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, Hamilton Counties

Pit bulls remain largely misunderstood because of irresponsible owners, sensationalist news stories, and a proliferation of myths.
locknload is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 10:52 PM   #21
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

I have seen aggressive behavior from many breeds of dogs towards people. A lot of the time the only way an aggressive dog can hurt you is to annoy you to death with itís yapping. Pit bulls along with a few other large breed dogs can certainly kill a person. ThT is the big difference.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 11:06 PM   #22
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

I'm sure there are many nice pit bulls kept without incident by responsible owners.

CDC records on fatal dog-bite incidents between 1979 and 1996 list the breed of "pit bulls" as responsible for 60 deaths -- double the next breed, Rottweilers, with 29, while German Shepherds killed 19 over that timeframe.

Draw your own conclusions.
tradtiger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #23
Lostacresranch
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
I'm sure there are many nice pit bulls kept without incident by responsible owners.

CDC records on fatal dog-bite incidents between 1979 and 1996 list the breed of "pit bulls" as responsible for 60 deaths -- double the next breed, Rottweilers, with 29, while German Shepherds killed 19 over that timeframe.

Draw your own conclusions.

The numbers are worse than that now. Pittbulls make up only 9% of dogs owned, but kill more humans than all others combined. They kill other pets more than all others combined. They maul humans more than all other breeds combined. This year alone, there have been over 20 fatalities caused by "pittbull type" dogs, meaning that some were pittbull mixed dogs.
Again,owners get emotional and defensive about them. I guess they have to, because there is no logical argument when looking at the facts. There are dozens of breeds that are more compatible as pets, with better statistics.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #24
Fishcat91
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostacresranch View Post
The numbers are worse than that now. Pittbulls make up only 9% of dogs owned, but kill more humans than all others combined. They kill other pets more than all others combined. They maul humans more than all other breeds combined. This year alone, there have been over 20 fatalities caused by "pittbull type" dogs, meaning that some were pittbull mixed dogs.
Again,owners get emotional and defensive about them. I guess they have to, because there is no logical argument when looking at the facts. There are dozens of breeds that are more compatible as pets, with better statistics.
The argument you stated sounds exactly like a liberal trying to prove gun laws is the direction we need to go as far as banning assault rifles. Lol
Old 12-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #25
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
The argument you stated sounds exactly like a liberal trying to prove gun laws is the direction we need to go as far as banning assault rifles. Lol

Owning a useless dog is not protected by the constitution like owning a gun is.

westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #26
Fishcat91
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
Owning a useless dog is not protected by the constitution like owning a gun is.

I agree dogs aren't protected.... but it's still hiding behind the same arguments as a liberal would use
Old 12-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #27
Lostacresranch
Six Point

Default Pit bulls

Quote:

No, because unlike liberals blaming all murders on assault rifles, I have numbers to prove that's a lie. In the case of pittbulls killing humans more than all other breeds, I have facts to back that up. Liberals don't deal in facts. They deal in emotional illogical responses. Like many pittbull owners do.

Last edited by Lostacresranch; 12-27-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #28
Fishcat91
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostacresranch View Post
No, because unlike liberals blaming all murders on assault rifles, I have numbers to prove that's a lie. In the case of pittbulls killing humans more than all other breeds, I have facts to back that up. Liberals don't deal in facts. They deal in emotional illogical responses. Like many pittbull owners do.
Well let's hear the facts.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:10 PM   #29
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

I guess he was joking, right? Labs and poodles are aggressive breeds? Hmmm....
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 11:31 PM   #30
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn21 View Post
I guess he was joking, right? Labs and poodles are aggressive breeds? Hmmm....
As I stated, itís all about the owner. No I was joking
Old 12-26-2017, 06:47 AM   #31
6.5 shooter
Eight Point

Pit bulls are great, until they flip their switch.
6.5 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #32
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Dynamite is usually harmless with no fuse or blasting cap. It can sit there for years until one day it gets jiggled ever slightly and then KA-BOOM!
Same with a Pit Bull.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #33
Clay C
Ten Point

There was just an event last week where a nice young lady was killed and eaten by her own pit while she was walking it. Yes, the dog was actually eating her when police arrived.

Then there was the happening last year or the year before where an owner was killed by his pit while being interviewed about being a pit owner.

People can talk about how aggressive labs and poodles are and give out dog bite statistics. The difference is, labs and poodles don't REGULARLY kill people.

For the "it's the owner" crowd. Why is it if i'm looking for a bird dog one can be suggested to me based on the history of a particular breed? Why is it people talk about how goofy labs are as a breed? Why is it Jack Russels as a breed are always referred to as killers? Now why is it when it comes to pit bulls, history of the breed doesn't matter and it's solely about the people who raise them?
Old 12-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #34
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Dynamite is usually harmless with no fuse or blasting cap. It can sit there for years until one day it gets jiggled ever slightly and then KA-BOOM!
Same with a Pit Bull.

If people were emotionally attached to dynamite the ones who rode around with it for years would swear up and down it's harmless. They would ignore the people who got blown up by it..bad owners or some other excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
There was just an event last week where a nice young lady was killed and eaten by her own pit while she was walking it. Yes, the dog was actually eating her when police arrived.

Then there was the happening last year or the year before where an owner was killed by his pit while being interviewed about being a pit owner.

People can talk about how aggressive labs and poodles are and give out dog bite statistics. The difference is, labs and poodles don't REGULARLY kill people.

For the "it's the owner" crowd. Why is it if i'm looking for a bird dog one can be suggested to me based on the history of a particular breed? Why is it people talk about how goofy labs are as a breed? Why is it Jack Russels as a breed are always referred to as killers? Now why is it when it comes to pit bulls, history of the breed doesn't matter and it's solely about the people who raise them?
That's been told to them over and over. I don't see how one can ignore those facts but they do.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #35
texasnavy05
Ten Point

Hunt In: Snook, TX

Quote:

bingo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
texasnavy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #36
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:

Don't talk logic
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #37
LFD2037
Pope & Young

I don't think the CDC results are a good value. I've ran on many, many people who were bitten by dogs that didn't want to go to the hospital, therefore there would be no statistic on it. I don't believe pits are more likely to bite, I think they have the ability to do more damage when they DO bite, therefore hospital visits/ CDC reports are more prevalent.
I've had 4 pits that I'd trust w/my life. BUT the vast majority of pits I've been around, that I didn't know, I just flat out didn't trust at all. (ironic, I know)
I have a 9 month old American Bulldog now that's bigger & stronger, by a large margin, than any Pit I've ever owned. I fully trust her with my life but if I didn't know her, & saw her walking down the street, I'd do my best to get as far from her as possible!!! She looks like a 90lb pit on steroids w/a giant head.
I think it boils down to having the ability to do harm more than it is the frequency of doing harm.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #38
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Im personal friends with a veterinarian, in the hill country, who is also a dog bite investigator for the state. He has been doing that job for 25+ years.. The stories he can tell you about Pitts and Rotwielers attacks, and the things he has witnessed, will give you goose bumps.. Chows aren't to be taken lightly either...

My opinion about these breeds should be obvious but my opinion doesn't matter. They are legal and probably always will be but I'm sure if Trump owned one the libs would be trying to get them irraticated... Hmmm..

But those poodles???? Straight up MAN EATERS.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #39
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Im personal friends with a veterinarian, in the hill country, who is also a dog bite investigator for the state. He has been doing that job for 25+ years.. The stories he can tell you about Pitts and Rotwielers attacks, and the things he has witnessed, will give you goose bumps.. Chows aren't to be taken lightly either...

My opinion about these breeds should be obvious but my opinion doesn't matter. They are legal and probably always will be but I'm sure if Trump owned one the libs would be trying to get them irraticated... Hmmm..

I was attacked by a standard poodle when I was about 10. It was a dog I had been around 10+ times & played with in my neighborhood. It was HUGE! Like Great Dane huge. It knocked me down, jumped on my back & started to maul me. Luckily I was able to get up and quickly climb a 6' wooden fence to get away. Those big ones can be mean.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #40
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD2037 View Post
I was attacked by a standard poodle when I was about 10. It was a dog I had been around 10+ times & played with in my neighborhood. It was HUGE! Like Great Dane huge. It knocked me down, jumped on my back & started to maul me. Luckily I was able to get up and quickly climb a 6' wooden fence to get away. Those big ones can be mean.
Ok, yea I was talking your standard small house poodle..
Those giant, ugly clown looking poodles freak me out... I can't imagine how scary that must have been.... That would be as bad as getting attacked by a scary clown...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #41
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:

You are right about the Chows. We had one when I was a kid and that mofo would bite any and everyone. Finally snapped one to many times at my grandpa and he fed him some led. Def a breed to not play around with.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #42
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Quote:

Chows are crazy. Had one in college that attacked my room mates Rotty...he kept going back for more. My chow even challenged me for alpha once...kicked him in the ribs and he never did it again. Iíll never own a chow again, gonna stick with Goldens.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2017, 05:01 PM   #43
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

There's a big difference between a little dog that yaps like crazy and nips at your heels and a big strong dog that snaps, kills you and eats you. I don't car much for the former, but I have no use at all for the latter.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #44
Crazy Horse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr & Lavaca County

There was a pit attack just this week in Clear Lake...

(2) pits literally went on a rampage...

They ran from one neighborhood to the next...covered over a mile...
Something like (8) people attacked, two dogs killed & they even jumped through a bay window to get to one dog they killed....

HPD was running all over tracking them...
Took something like (8) people to load them in the anaimal control truck they were so crazed...

I'll see if I can locate the news report on it...one of the victims was a family friend, so this is no fake news BS...
Crazy Horse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #45
Fishcat91
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Horse View Post

Something like (8) people attacked, two dogs killed & they even jumped through a bay window to get to one dog they killed....

Took something like (8) people to load them in the anaimal control truck they were so crazed...

I'll see if I can locate the news report on it...one of the victims was a family friend, so this is no fake news BS...
Sounds like a bullet would of worked better for them instead of trying to get two dogs like that under control...... I'm not saying some aren't crazy I know they can be.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #46
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Horse View Post

There was another on Christmas Eve where a woman and her husband were attacked by their own Pit. The woman was killed and the husband severely injured. He was charged with harboring a vicious animal.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #47
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

I don't think comparing pits to AR15's, and the arguments for both, is really comparing apples to apples. Maybe I'm confused about the arguments but an AR15 isn't going to get out of the safe and go running through the neighborhood hurting people. Can't say the same about a pit.

I've only ever been around a few pits.
1) My buddy owned one that charged me and bit two others over the course of a month before it was put down.
2) While dove hunting one year we had a pit run at us from a quarter mile out, crossing two different property lines, while his owner yelled at it to stop. Dog caught a chest full of 7.5 at a range of less than 10 feet. Opened him up like a beer can. Darn thing was heck bent on attacking someone. (no I didn't shoot it)
3) Good friend of mine up in Killeen has had big pits for as long as I've known him. Last one was 100lbs easy and the biggest teddy bear you'd ever meet. I'd not trust that dog around my wife or child though.

Yes sometimes it's the owner and sometimes its the dog breed. For me though I'll just stay away from them and not risk getting injured. Same reason I don't drive through certain parts of San Antonio after dark.

God bless and happy hunting.
Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #48
Fishcat91
Eight Point

My whole deal is that not all pits are crazy. Some can be. just like some people can be crazy. The crazy ones need to be dealt with...... most people think that just because of the breed it's automatically bad, is not fair to do that. If you see somebody walking around with a dew rag on their head or turban wrapped around their head are they automatically bad? Some may be bad, the others can be good , but does that give us the right to go around shooting and killing everybody that wears a dew rag or turban? ( I say that because I have seen people post on other PB threads say that if they see a pit crossing their yard they will shoot them lol) I originally got in this conversation because of the logic of argument some are using. I never said pits are a saint of an animal.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:51 PM   #49
Lostacresranch
Six Point

Quote:
My whole deal is that not all pits are crazy. Some can be. just like some people can be crazy. The crazy ones need to be dealt with...... most people think that just because of the breed it's automatically bad, is not fair to do that. If you see somebody walking around with a dew rag on their head or turban wrapped around their head are they automatically bad? Some may be bad, the others can be good , but does that give us the right to go around shooting and killing everybody that wears a dew rag or turban? ( I say that because I have seen people post on other PB threads say that if they see a pit crossing their yard they will shoot them lol) I originally got in this conversation because of the logic of argument some are using. I never said pits are a saint of an animal.

I can't reply to posts not here or on other threads, only what I see on the current thread. I haven't seen anyone here saying they will shoot all Pitts, but I don't doubt people have said it before.
You commented on the logic of the argument, and compared it to liberal arguments regarding gun control. I don't think that is relevant, and stated why. I also don't think your comparison of people's bigotry toward a type of people to pittbull fatalities is logical. But that's my opinion.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #50
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

We need someone to to post a hula hoop gif! How many people have been bucked off a horse, and crippled or killed, that the owner said "anyone can ride her"? Doesn't happen as often now because less people own horses, but it happens. (I know it's not the exact same logic!) Pit bulls will run their course like the Rottweiler, Doberman, Chow etc. I agree most people should not be allowed to own them and they should not be allowed to run loose. Fact is that all animals, no matter how trained they are, have a mind and temperament of their own. The larger and stronger the animal, the more damage it does. Not sure I'd call pit lovers Muslims, but that's a good way to get the thread wacked though!

Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top