Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 11-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #151
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

For the first time in my life I'm glad I'm not a long draw !
hoyt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #152
enewman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt21 View Post
For the first time in my life I'm glad I'm not a long draw !
Haha me to
enewman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #153
hoyt21
Ten Point

To see the foc my wife is getting with a 26" arrow is amazing
Old 11-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #154
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by enewman View Post
Ok I just got in from hunting. I open the ontarget program. All I put in is the Moxie bow at 68 lb. 32 in draw and Beamon ics speed arrow. With a 125 tip

I know there other inputs but I would think this is close. If what I have put in is correct

It shows to be .063 weak from a 340 spine. A 300 spine it still shows this to be .023 weak. So program is showing optimal spine is .2772. That is with a 125 gn head and 22 gn insert. Changing to a 50 gn insert it shows a .2682 spine

This is the program in hunting filter.

You can always make a weak arrow shoot. I'm not saying Brian is wrong. Maybe I'm doing the program wrong.

It's just a little more info before you spend your money
I'm just testing these out.
Looking at getting some Black Eagle Rampages in 250 spine
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #155
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
That looks like that all to be a tough arrow
Old 11-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #156
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Yes sir. I trying to figure out what/if there's a difference between the Rampage & Rampage LD.
Do they take the Gold Tip scree in weights.

I was reading something somewhere about Barrell shaped arrows. I didn't bookmark it, nor do I remember where it was.

I just needed something to give my mind a break from the quest from my perfect arrow.

I'll pickup my quest after Christmas our later.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #157
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes sir. I trying to figure out what/if there's a difference between the Rampage & Rampage LD.
Do they take the Gold Tip scree in weights.

I was reading something somewhere about Barrell shaped arrows. I didn't bookmark it, nor do I remember where it was.

I just needed something to give my mind a break from the quest from my perfect arrow.

I'll pickup my quest after Christmas our later.
I understand the after Christmas. I'm broke. Need some more play money. And I thinking about a new bow to. Need to win the lotery or a rich relative to leave me money. I got a better chance of winning the lotery and I don't play
Old 11-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #158
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
I understand the after Christmas. I'm broke. Need some more play money. And I thinking about a new bow to. Need to win the lotery or a rich relative to leave me money. I got a better chance of winning the lotery and I don't play
I need to as well :-)
Old 11-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #159
JimboBurnsy
Four Point

Quote:
I'll let you know how these work out. I seem to recall that your draw weight is slightly less so you may be able to put more weight up front.

With the carbon-to-carbon measurement at 31.25", with a 100 grain brass insert and wearing a 100-grain point, my FOC should be in the neighborhood of 17-18% and the arrow, by the calculator, should be a little overspined.

If I need it, I can go up to a 175 grain point and not be underspined and push the FOC up around 20%.

My new "light" arrow configuration is going to be 550 grains. I'll see if I can fit a second sight tape on my slider to switch back and forth between FOC and whitetail arrows.

Last edited by JimboBurnsy; 11-17-2014 at 11:12 AM.
JimboBurnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #160
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboBurnsy View Post
I'll let you know how these work out. I seem to recall that your draw weight is slightly less so you may be able to put more weight up front.

With the carbon-to-carbon measurement at 31.25", with a 100 grain brass insert and wearing a 100-grain point, my FOC should be in the neighborhood of 17-18% and the arrow, by the calculator, should be a little overspined.

If I need it, I can go up to a 175 grain point and not be underspined and push the FOC up around 20%.

My new "light" arrow configuration is going to be 550 grains. I'll see if I can fit a second sight tape on my slider to switch back and forth between FOC and whitetail arrows.

That would be awesome!

Wouldn't 2 sight tapes be confusing?

I found Saturday after I bought those arrows my bow has the 31" modules. I thought it had the 32" modules.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #161
Stick'n'String
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County

Quote:

Let me know if you get the 2 sight tapes to work out, I was thinking about doing something similar. I was just going to put marks on my sight tape for the whitetail arrows.

What kind of slider do you have? I have the MBG pure driven.
Stick'n'String is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #162
JimboBurnsy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick'n'String View Post
Let me know if you get the 2 sight tapes to work out, I was thinking about doing something similar. I was just going to put marks on my sight tape for the whitetail arrows.

What kind of slider do you have? I have the MBG pure driven.
MBG Ascent Ambush. I played around with SFA a bit at lunch and I'm not sure how well that's going to work. Marking your tape may be more practical, precise and a much better use of time.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #163
Stick'n'String
Ten Point

Quote:
MBG Ascent Ambush. I played around with SFA a bit at lunch and I'm not sure how well that's going to work. Marking your tape may be more practical, precise and a much better use of time.
I thought so as well, but I didn't know if you came up with something I didn't come up with
Old 11-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #164
Loneaggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County

Quote:
I thought so as well, but I didn't know if you came up with something I didn't come up with

That's what Photoshop is for Print the tape to an image. Then edit in Photoshop and add a diff color marks or whatever. I scan the packages sight tapes, then use them as templates for my own that are exactly how I like them.
Loneaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #165
Stick'n'String
Ten Point

That's beyond me, but it sounds awesome. I'm definitely not tech savy. Especially photoshop, that's WAY to complicated for me. I feel like a fine tip sharpie would be much simpler
Old 11-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #166
Loneaggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County

Quote:
That's beyond me, but it sounds awesome. I'm definitely not tech savy. Especially photoshop, that's WAY to complicated for me. I feel like a fine tip sharpie would be much simpler

I'm too OCD for sharpie
Loneaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2014, 06:30 AM   #167
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:

I would be a little concerned about the tune of each one of these set ups being different, possibly? Let us know if that type of set up on your 2 arrows and 2 sight tapes work. Good luck and keep the info and talk/comments/set UPS coming. Interesting to see what everyone else is doing or trying.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #168
JimboBurnsy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
I would be a little concerned about the tune of each one of these set ups being different, possibly? Let us know if that type of set up on your 2 arrows and 2 sight tapes work. Good luck and keep the info and talk/comments/set UPS coming. Interesting to see what everyone else is doing or trying.
That's definitely a legitimate concern and I'm rapidly leaning farther and farther towards just shooting a strong 550 grain arrow and keeping things simple.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #169
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Default FOC increase

Since the draw length on my bow is 31" instead of 32" how will that affect my arrow spine?
Will the 340's work or so I still need 300 or 250's?

I don't think 1" will make a difference

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 11-20-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #170
hoyt21
Ten Point

I'm gunna say still need a 300 or 250. Because I'm 28" dl. 28" arrow and I'm right on the edge of being weak
Old 11-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #171
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm gunna say still need a 300 or 250. Because I'm 28" dl. 28" arrow and I'm right on the edge of being weak

What spine are you shooting?

How did you determine you were on the edge of having a weak spone?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #172
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:

A weak arrow can always be tune. Now that I said that. I will say all bows above 30 in draw and above 330 fps need a 300 spine. With normal front weight. If your going to add weight to get a higher foc you will need a 250 spine.

I understand your trying to learn. Hell we are all trying to learn, but this has been told a lot in this thread.

Go to pinwheel ontarget and down load the program. Do all the playing you want with it. But no matter what. If your looking for any amount of weight up front. I bet the program tells you 250 spine.

At that point stop listening to everyone here. Go buy you some arrows. Tune the bow and go have fun.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #173
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:

Pushbutton I'm shooting black eagle deep impacts .350 and muddy let me know I was right on the edge when he made my arrows. And that I would be fine. And they have been.

This has been a great thread and like enewman said we've all learned something from it.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #174
enewman
Ten Point

Pushbutton2

I just reread what I wrote. It sounds rude. By no means did I mean for it to sound like that.

I have the over analyze problem. I think they call it OCD. Haha. I do reach a point that I think it becomes a waist of time. I've been bare shaft tuning. I'm beginning to think its a waist. My form is not good enough.

What I'm been doing is paper tuning starting at 6 ft and back up three ft at a time out to 20 yards. And make sure I have a group of arrows all bullet holes.

I do think bare shaft bullets holes out to 20 yards would be great. But I do not have the form nor do I hunt with bare shaft.

I think you can tune just about any arrow to shoot, but I do think it's easier when the spine is close to what you need. The bad thing is for a correct spine and a heavy foc your overly long draw is a problem. Haha. That's what us short people say to try to justify being vertically challenged.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #175
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Default FOC increase

Quote:
Pushbutton2

I just reread what I wrote. It sounds rude. By no means did I mean for it to sound like that.

I have the over analyze problem. I think they call it OCD. Haha. I do reach a point that I think it becomes a waist of time. I've been bare shaft tuning. I'm beginning to think its a waist. My form is not good enough.

What I'm been doing is paper tuning starting at 6 ft and back up three ft at a time out to 20 yards. And make sure I have a group of arrows all bullet holes.

I do think bare shaft bullets holes out to 20 yards would be great. But I do not have the form nor do I hunt with bare shaft.

I think you can tune just about any arrow to shoot, but I do think it's easier when the spine is close to what you need. The bad thing is for a correct spine and a heavy foc your overly long draw is a problem. Haha. That's what us short people say to try to justify being vertically challenged.

Initially I was put off a little by your reply. Then I remembered all my bad days and I was fine!
I'm being told by people who's opinion I respect that what I'm shooting is fine and others I'm to weak.
I'm looking for a way, procedure, process or whatever to determine myself what it is that I Like, want, or ?????
To me this is in intriguing problem. :-) I really enjoy intriguing problems? But if you enjoy something is it still a problem?

I received a soft part time job offer from the bow shop the last time I was in there. I've never given it a lot of thought before. I'm intrigued :-)

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 11-21-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #176
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:
Initially I was put off a little by your reply. Then I remembered all my bad days and I was fine!
I'm being told by people who's opinion I respect that what I'm shooting is fine and others I'm to weak.
I'm looking for a way, procedure, process or whatever to determine myself what it is that I Like, want, or ?????
To me this is in intriguing problem. :-) I really enjoy intriguing problems? But if you enjoy something is it still a problem?

I received a soft part time job offer from the bow shop the last time I was in there. I've never given it a lot of thought before. I'm intrigued :-)
That is a bad thing about writing. No emotions. And I leave words out. And you are right on problems. I'm still looking for the best way for me for tuning. But again is that really a problem haha

It's kind of like paper tuning. I have never done it. Most say why waist the time go straight to walk back. I've been playing with paper and I do see a advantage. But again is it worth it. That is what I'm working on now.

Part of the problem is trying to shoot a heavy foc. Some say it's easy to tune a heavy foc. What I'm finding is it's not. Or at least for me. Now dynamic spine comes into play big time

Last edited by enewman; 11-21-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #177
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

all things in moderation guys...........................moderation. building an extremely light arrow can be just as tricky as building a heavy arrow. the middle road is still where you can have your cake and eat it too.
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #178
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
all things in moderation guys...........................moderation. building an extremely light arrow can be just as tricky as building a heavy arrow. the middle road is still where you can have your cake and eat it too.
Haha I do nothing in moderation. I'm the guy that's says, here hold my beer.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #179
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
Moderation? I'm not familiar with that word;-) isn't that when you and your lawyer get together with her and her lawyer to try and solve a problem before seeing a Judge :-)

Middle of the road is filled with cements walls, trees, brush and other nefarious things :-)
I want to drive a Mack truck on the Autobahn

Quote:
Haha I do nothing in moderation. I'm the guy that's says, here hold my beer.

Me too!!
Since I don't drink it's here hold my Double chocolate frappe machiatoe espresso double milk soy latte cappachino ;-))

But I ain't scared either ;-)
Old 11-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #180
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:
Moderation? I'm not familiar with that word;-) isn't that when you and your lawyer get together with her and her lawyer to try and solve a problem before seeing a Judge :-)

Middle of the road is filled with cements walls, trees, brush and other nefarious things :-)
I want to drive a Mack truck on the Autobahn

Me too!!
Since I don't drink it's here hold my Double chocolate frappe machiatoe espresso double milk soy latte cappachino ;-))

But I ain't scared either ;-)
All right we got to meet. That's funny
Old 11-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #181
hoyt21
Ten Point

4 pages on FOC lol who ever goes to build some arrows will find this handy for sure
Old 11-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #182
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Here's an interesting anomaly is just discovered.
I built one Goldtip Expedition Hunter when I bought my bow. It has Gold tip 2" vanes. not sure of the glue.

I's 29.0625 Inches knock to Carbon the Balance Point is 19.0625'' giving me an FOC of 15.591%.
The 6 arrows I had built last Saturday are Goldtip XT Hunters with Blazers and 2 part epoxy glue.
They're 29.0625" long the Balance Point is 18.8750" giving me an FOC of 14.946%.

Are the Goldtip vanes lighter?

Is it worth to chase the .645 percent?

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 11-21-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #183
enewman
Ten Point

I would have thought it would take more then that to make 1% difference. I think I saw where muddyfuzzy wrote around 20 gns to add like 2% gain. No way the goldtip vanes are that much lighter. ???
Old 11-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #184
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here's an interesting anomaly is just discovered.
I built one Goldtip Expedition Hunter when I bought my bow. It has Gold tip 2" vanes. not sure of the glue.

I's 29.0625 Inches knock to Carbon the Balance Point is 19.0625'' giving me an FOC of 15.591%.
The 6 arrows I had built last Saturday are Goldtip XT Hunters with Blazers and 2 part epoxy glue.
They're 29.0625" long the Balance Point is 18.8750" giving me an FOC of 14.946%.

Are the Goldtip vanes lighter?

Is it worth to chase the .645 percent?
I just Googled it.
According to Goldtips websites the 2" HP vane weighs 5.2 Grains
According to Bohning.com the Blazers weigh 6 Grains. giving me 2.4 grains extra on the back.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #185
enewman
Ten Point

Never would have thought that little would make that big of a difference.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #186
hoyt21
Ten Point

Maybe the difference is also in the amount of glue used also ?
Old 11-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #187
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Default FOC increase

Quote:
Never would have thought that little would make that big of a difference.
Quote:
Maybe the difference is also in the amount of glue used also ?
Both excellent posts!

Same shop built both arrows.

Here's the spreadsheet I made.

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 11-21-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #188
hoyt21
Ten Point

No see spreadsheet lol
Old 11-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #189
JimboBurnsy
Four Point

I set my 100 grain inserts in my new Rampage 250s yesterday afternoon. With any luck they will go in the jo-jan this weekend. I couldn't stand it and screwed one of my slick tricks into one of the shafts. I don't know how to explain the feeling I have looking at this unfletched shaft with a broadhead in it other than "It's just BEGGING to kill something."

FWIW, the interior and exterior dimensions seem to be exactly the same as my Easton Axis 300s and the perfectly routine HIT insert installation supports that. There is a big difference in stiffness between the two, however. I don't have a deflection gauge, but I can easily tell the Rampage from the Axis with my eyes closed by flexing.

Excited as ****.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #190
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
No see spreadsheet lol
my tablets not doing it thing.
trying my iPhone now
Old 11-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #191
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
I set my 100 grain inserts in my new Rampage 250s yesterday afternoon. With any luck they will go in the jo-jan this weekend. I couldn't stand it and screwed one of my slick tricks into one of the shafts. I don't know how to explain the feeling I have looking at this unfletched shaft with a broadhead in it other than "It's just BEGGING to kill something."

FWIW, the interior and exterior dimensions seem to be exactly the same as my Easton Axis 300s and the perfectly routine HIT insert installation supports that. There is a big difference in stiffness between the two, however. I don't have a deflection gauge, but I can easily tell the Rampage from the Axis with my eyes closed by flexing.

Excited as ****.
Awesome!!!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #192
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
No see spreadsheet lol
I just edited it into my post about it.

Can you think of anything else I need to add/edit to it?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #193
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:

Excited as ****.
my Goldtip arrows have the deal on the back of the insert where I can add some more screw in weight from the knock side if I want to add more.

Does your?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #194
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Default FOC increase

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416625927.297715.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  73.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416625953.797991.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  55.8 KB
Just finished up these for Hoyt21. Ended up @ 373 with 20% FOC. She's running a total of 167 grains up front. These will be shot out of a 46# passion @ 26"s. Should be an awesome set-up with the heads he has selected.

Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 11-21-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #195
enewman
Ten Point

The arrows look good. But your cheating on the foc by laying the back half of the arrow on the rock chucker hehe
Old 11-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #196
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
Attachment 672521Attachment 672522
Just finished up these for Hoyt21. Ended up @ 373 with 20% FOC. She's running a total of 167 grains up front. These will be shot out of a 46# passion @ 26"s. Should be an awesome set-up with the heads he has selected.

Ooohhhhh yyyeeeeaaaaaaa!!!!!

The heads of choice
125 gr soild

Oh yea these are for the mrs. Lol
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #197
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Thumbs up

Quote:
Attachment 672521Attachment 672522

Looks good!

That's what I want in a 29" arrow

What's to protocol to get it balance long enough on your finger to be able to us the other hand to snap a photo!
Old 11-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #198
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: van zandt cty

No pics of mine but im shooting bloodsport fps hunters 350 spine, bohning 4" wrap, three nitro 2" vanes, bloodsport nock and insert. Im running 50gr insert wt with 100gr tip. Arrow is 25.5" carbon to carbon. Bow is an xpedition xcentric 27" draw and 67-68ish pounds. Foc on arrow is 16.3%. Should shoot great. Hope to get to shoot tomorrow.

Muddy, whats your thoughts on my set up?
sambo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #199
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo73 View Post
No pics of mine but im shooting bloodsport fps hunters 350 spine, bohning 4" wrap, three nitro 2" vanes, bloodsport nock and insert. Im running 50gr insert wt with 100gr tip. Arrow is 25.5" carbon to carbon. Bow is an xpedition xcentric 27" draw and 67-68ish pounds. Foc on arrow is 16.3%. Should shoot great. Hope to get to shoot tomorrow.

Muddy, whats your thoughts on my set up?

Sounds like you are right where you need to be.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:12 AM   #200
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:
Ooohhhhh yyyeeeeaaaaaaa!!!!!

The heads of choice
125 gr soild

Oh yea these are for the mrs. Lol
Year supposed to get the good heads for yourself.

I sure like the way them look

With that head and the arrow muddy built. All I can say is dang.