Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Hammerdown15
Ten Point
 
Hammerdown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pearland
Hunt In: Warren, Tx
Default Sighting longer yardages on a short range

Is there a good rule of thumb for sighting in 30, 40, and 50 yard pins on a 20 yard range?

For example: 2 inches high at 20 is dead on at 30 and 4 inches high is dead on at 40


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hammerdown15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
Low Fence
Pope & Young
 
Low Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Quitman, Tx.
Default

There is a % increase you can use but I'm drawing a blank on the number
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
oktx
Pope & Young
 
oktx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wise County
Hunt In: Wise County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown15 View Post
Is there a good rule of thumb for sighting in 30, 40, and 50 yard pins on a 20 yard range?

For example: 2 inches high at 20 is dead on at 30 and 4 inches high is dead on at 40


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is but I can't find it. I maybe wrong, but I think they only get you close and not dead on.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
popup_menace
Pope & Young
 
popup_menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: El Campo, tx
Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams
Default

You likely won’t ever get it just right. Just too many mathematical variables for the layperson to figure out.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Hammerdown15
Ten Point
 
Hammerdown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pearland
Hunt In: Warren, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
There is but I can't find it. I maybe wrong, but I think they only get you close and not dead on.


Looking for "hit the target" accuracy so that when I push it out to the exact yardage it will be close.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hammerdown15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
oktx
Pope & Young
 
oktx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wise County
Hunt In: Wise County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown15 View Post
Looking for "hit the target" accuracy so that when I push it out to the exact yardage it will be close.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A buddy has them and will get them to me asap.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
oktx
Pope & Young
 
oktx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wise County
Hunt In: Wise County
Default

7 yards=20 yards
5 yards=30 yards
4 yards=40 yards
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
Hammerdown15
Ten Point
 
Hammerdown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pearland
Hunt In: Warren, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
7 yards=20 yards
5 yards=30 yards
4 yards=40 yards


Am I understanding this right?

Put 20 yd pin on bullseye at 7 yards, Put 30 yd pin at 5 and 40 at 4 to get close enough to be able to hit the 2x2 bag at those distances?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hammerdown15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
oktx
Pope & Young
 
oktx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wise County
Hunt In: Wise County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown15 View Post
Am I understanding this right?

Put 20 yd pin on bullseye at 7 yards, Put 30 yd pin at 5 and 40 at 4 to get close enough to be able to hit the 2x2 bag at those distances?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #10
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young
 
bowhuntntxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Default

Oktx has it. And you will be considerably closer to the bullseye than you think using that method. 2x2 inches maybe.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com