SHNF 17-18 ( the real deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
    Harry.... When are you going to hunt already? You'd better get a move on it! All the big bucks are gettin shot!
    Hopefully this weekend, not worried about size I just want some meat!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
      Hopefully this weekend, not worried about size I just want some meat!!!!!!!
      You might be in luck. The weather looks like it's going to be very nice. If the deer move like they did this weekend it ought to be another eventful couple of days.

Comment

First Sam Houston Hunt

Hello All. I'm living in the San Antonio area and didn't get drawn to do the Archery hunt at Camp Bullis this year so planning on making a trip out to Sam Houston. Just looking for some basic tips as to which days have the light crowds and maybe a general area to pursue hunting? Any help is much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by brenterw428 View Post
          Hello All. I'm living in the San Antonio area and didn't get drawn to do the Archery hunt at Camp Bullis this year so planning on making a trip out to Sam Houston. Just looking for some basic tips as to which days have the light crowds and maybe a general area to pursue hunting? Any help is much appreciated.
          Fallow all rules, look for oak patches near dry creek beds that show your typical deer signs of movement, look on google maps oak trees look dif then pine, pm me and I can make an attempt to give you better advice

Comment

This is the only advice I can give since I don't live there anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
              This is the only advice I can give since I don't live there anymore.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...&postcount=982
              And that's all the advice anyone could ever need.

Comment

Jumped into the Sam yesterday morning for a quick hunt and my season was over in a few hours. I saw 3 bucks running does. None of them would make 13" so they walked. My buddy was complaining he was not seeing anything and 5 minutes later he shoots a doe. I don't see anything for the next hour and I am ready to get down but a little voice said give it 5 more minutes. Just 2 minutes later I see a set of antlers coming thru the brush. I check them thru the scope and this was not any of the smaller deer from the morning. He steps into an opening about 20 yards away and I give him a little grunt and he turns and looks my way. The legs look only inches long and the body looks feet wide. This is the biggest body I have ever seen in the forest in over 30 years of hunting but I was having trouble with being outside the ears. We have killed good deer and these bigger deer have 16" ears on them, so I justified pulling the trigger after turning him 3 times. We could not drag the deer out so I made a trip to the house for the cart while my buddy gutted the deer. He could not begin to lift the buck ,but when I got back we both tried and it was a struggle to get him high enough to just gut. We were both sure he was 5.5yo and over 200lbs. The tree stand bent when we hung him on it. We got the deer to the processor and when he came back from putting the name tag on the deer he asked me what I shot. Did I go up Wisconsin for this deer? It took 3 of his guys to hang the gutted buck. Now I don't feel so bad. He had not seen a deer with that kind of body from east Texas. The rack was not huge on this deer and he did make the 13+ inches but not by alot. He also broke off a drop tine he had. Now if I can get the pictures uploaded.
                Last edited by E.TX.BOWHUNTER; 11-13-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                  Jumped into the Sam yesterday morning for a quick hunt and my season was over in a few hours. I saw 3 bucks running does. None of them would make 13" so they walked. My buddy was complaining he was not seeing anything and 5 minutes later he shoots a doe. I don't see anything for the next hour and I am ready to get down but a little voice said give it 5 more minutes. Just 2 minutes later I see a set of antlres coming thru the brush. I check them thru the scope and this was not any of the smaller deer from the morning. He steps into an opening about 20 yards away and I give him a little grunt and he turns and looks my way. The legs look only inches long and the body looks feet wide. This is the biggest body I have ever seen in the forest in over 30 years of hunting but I was having trouble with being outside the ears. We have killed good deer and these bigger deer have 16" ears on them, so I justified pulling the trigger after turning him 3 times. We could not drag the deer out so I made a trip to the house for the cart while my buddy gutted the deer. He could not begin to lift the buck ,but when I got back weboth tried and it was a struggle to get him high enough to just gut. We were both sure he was 5.5yo and over 200lbs. The tree stand bent when we hung him on it. We got the deer to the processor and when he came back from putting the name tag on the deer he asked me what I shot. Did I go up Wisconsin for this deer? It took 3 of his guys to hang the gutted buck. Now I don't feel so bad. He had not seen a deer with that kind of body from east Texas. The rack was not huge on this deer and he did make the 13+ inches but not by alot. He also broke off a drop tine he had. Now if I can get the pictures uploaded.
                  Congrats! Can't wait to see the pictures

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                    Congrats! Can't wait to see the pictures

Hell yeah. Me too.

Comment

LDPs. The arrow is one I lost 2 years ago. He uncovered it where he dropped.

Comment

I will go ahead and say not a SAM buck just by the description. jk
                        Congrats
                        Nice buck. Trophy in my book, especially in the SAM.

Comment

The pics aren't showing for me :/

Comment

Never mind. Got off tapatalk and went to the tbh site and saw them. Killer buck! Congrats

Comment

Big Congrats Tim, on a nice NF buck. He is pretty thick!

Comment

Could someone repost them so I can view on tapatalk?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X