Cutting arrows ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting arrows ?

This may be a dumb question but here goes......I have 6 new uncut FMJ's that I need to cut to length. I've always just bought my arrows from the bow shop and had them cut my arrows and glue in the HIT inserts when I buy them, but I got these new in box from a friend that bought the wrong spine for him and they are the ones I use (340) so I got them from him. I don't want to have to go to the bow shop and pay to have them cut and inserts glued and I don't have an arrow saw. Does anyone have an easy way to cut them and make sure the are square? I'm probably way over thinking this but oh I figured it can't hurt to ask. So what's a good way to cut them down while making sue they are square?

ttt

Comment

I bet you can find a TBHr in your area that has an arrow saw you can use. For many years - before I bought an arrow saw - I cut them by hand with a Dremel. The tricky part is getting them perfectly square. G5 makes what they call a "ASD" (arrow squaring device) which works well. If you don't want to buy one of those, here is another way to square them. Drill a hole through a block of wood the exact size of the shaft. Staple a piece of sandpaper to your workbench or other slat surface. Put the shaft through the wood block and slide it back and forth on the sandpaper. Obviously for this to work properly, the hole through the wood block has to be perfectly square to your flat surface.

Comment

Worth taking them to local shop ..instead of trying and the time it's going to take to find,drive,make arrangement ,hope ...local shop and get it over with..good luck

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          I bet you can find a TBHr in your area that has an arrow saw you can use. For many years - before I bought an arrow saw - I cut them by hand with a Dremel. The tricky part is getting them perfectly square. G5 makes what they call a "ASD" (arrow squaring device) which works well. If you don't want to buy one of those, here is another way to square them. Drill a hole through a block of wood the exact size of the shaft. Staple a piece of sandpaper to your workbench or other slat surface. Put the shaft through the wood block and slide it back and forth on the sandpaper. Obviously for this to work properly, the hole through the wood block has to be perfectly square to your flat surface.
          Yep I cut mine with a Dremel and run them through my G5 ASD

Comment

I use the edge of a metal file. I work it all around the arrow until it pops right off. Then I turn it 90 degrees and rub the tip flat on the file to make it smooth. I then use a dremmell to cut the insert out and glue it back on with superglue. I've done all my arrows this way and it works great.

Comment

Working...
            X