Ranch confiscating your deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. The GS is the college of knowledge. Headed to Home Depot to buy a cordless Dremel tool.
    Is that to grind the teeth of the deer?

Comment

So, what was the deer in terms of antler size score etc ?
      How would anyone know if this deer was an early or late fawn and is he closer to 6 than 7 or maybe even closer to 8 ?

Comment

There are very few people that can accurately age a deer on the hoof without a photo history. I have seen this many many times on my own leases. Some deer die of old age with people still thinking they are 3.5 year old deer. I have one hunting buddy that has never seen a deer older than 4.5 in the 40 years I have hunted with him--------------until it was hanging on the skinning pole.

Comment

Talk about taking all the fun out of deer hunting.

Comment

I guess I hit a nerve with some of you guys. Sorry but I did imply that any of you guys were not true hunters. What I was trying to say when your average guy gets on a lease and makes a mistake, it is just wrong for the ranch owner to take away his kill. Now the ranch owner can and has the wright to boot him off the ranch but to take away the guys trophy just seems a bit strong IMO --- What good did that do for anyone. I understand if its written in the contract then so be it his loss. Also my statement "Anyone can buy a trophy but a real hunter earns his trophy.." Is very true. I have seen it. Today I can go down to the 777 and plop down 10 grand and get into their ranch jeep be driven to the trophy shoot it get back into said jeep have them clean it pack it and mount it and have it sent to my office. That my friend is not earning your trophy but if that is what you want to do that fine with me. Let me make this perfectly clear I am in no way saying that any of you south Texas big money ranch hunters and not true hunters. I do not know you or the way you hunt. By the way Mex Bowhunter nice trophy buck in your avatar. Have a great day to all and good luck with your season.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
              You're a real hunter if:

You knap your own spear points.

Your wife chews your animal hide to make leather.

You have a life expectancy of 35 from living in the elements 24/7

You make snares out of saplings and ligament.

You have a dog that doubles as a snack when times get tough.

You can track your animal's track through a herd of 30 and come out on it on the other side.

You have ever had to bring the kids inside because the wolves are on the carcass.

You have ever shown up early to find a good spot in the parking lot of a NWR?

You have ever found a deer trail with tracks on it that a weekend warrior might chase something your way on?

You have ever opened your soda can so that it just goes psssssshhhhhhhhhh instead of CliPHSHAAA?

You have ever covered yourself head to toe in $150 a yard material that looks like stuff you could get for free and put in front of you?

You have ever let that jumping squirrel fool you for the 8th time this morning?

You have ever lied to, misled or kept secrets from other people in your area to keep them off of your spot?

Just trying to sort this out.
              Perfect.

You've got to realize people sit in judgement before they've actually hunted behind a high fence. They honestly think you walk out in to a pasture and drop some corn and every deer behind the fence comes running in and you shoot the one you've picked out. It's not even close to that easy. In fact, some of the toughest hunting/smartest animals I have seen has been behind a high pressured high fence setting.

Comment

Most books and mag articles on deer aging and showing pictures are of deer from the midwest or deep South Texas and have no correlation to the looks and genetics of deer in other parts of the State of Texas. From the panhandle to the hill country there are half dozen different sizes and genetics of whitetail deer. It takes a while to know the deer in your area. Deer herds are constantly evolving due to good management. When I was a kid in early 60's living in Menard if someone killed a buck that field dressed 125lbs it made headlines in the paper, was brought to town for everybody to look at.
                Last edited by muzzlebrake; 11-18-2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. The GS is the college of knowledge. Headed to Home Depot to buy a cordless Dremel tool.
                  We save the entire jaw for our biologist & he sends in the front teeth for age verification & then goes back to compare to rear tooth wear. They don't always match.

I'm surprised you are getting empty threats instead of "ownership" taking this simple direction / solution since they seem so adamant about the exact age??

I don't understand why they are being so difficult as it sound like you are being good stewards of the ranch best I can tell. Sure would be easier on everyone to be a hard nose after age verification instead of assumptions when they are on the ground??

You must have the patience of Job...way too high maintenance for my blood.

Comment

I worked on a ranch a few years ago where the owner allowed his employees to come and hunt does for free.

One year this young guy comes to hunt a doe for meat. Ends up killing a 180" buck. Landowner let him keep the meat but would not let him keep the rack.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmangeorge View Post
                      I don't know very many people that can tell the difference in a 6 and 7 year old deer on the hoof.
                      I don't know many that can tell the difference between a 6 and a 7 with it dead at their feet! A lot of people have good guesses, but its still a guess.

Comment

If I tag it, then it's my deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
                          I don't know many that can tell the difference between a 6 and a 7 with it dead at their feet! A lot of people have good guesses, but its still a guess.
                          That's the truth. You see it everyday on here. On the age and score threads.
                          Will be 50 off the wall replies then someone who knows what they are doing gets it and then 150 posts after him "guessing" what he posted.

Comment

When determining age, one should always consider how much time the deer spends under the protein feeder. Just my opinion

Comment

When determining age, one should always consider how much time the deer spends under the protein feeder. Just my opinion
                              True dat. Them pellets are much easier on the 4th molar.

Comment

I trust my video camera and many years of video may more than teeth

Comment

Working...
                                X