The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
    I am sure as heck stoked for my New Mexico hunt in early October. That being said I'm looking for a new tent this season. Not a pack tent but something for 3 to 4 people to use for base camp but I don't want to pony up the cash for a wall tent. Any suggestions?
    If you are working out of a base camp, you should get a wall tent.
    Your problem would be solved for years to come. They are easy to repair and you can use a wood heater.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
      Your problem would be solved for years to come. They are easy to repair and you can use a wood heater.
      Hey Killer...good to see you back!

Comment

Killer I might just bite the bullet and work a few extra weekends so I can afford a wall tent. I plan on making an out of state DIY hunt a yearly event from now on so it would be worth it to get one. I should probably peruse craiglist for some of the western states and see if I can find a decent used one, and a stove to use in conjunction with it as well.

Comment

I agree. Although I would suggest a propane heater instead of the wood burning stove.
          Keeping the wood going and starting it is a pain! Everything including you smells like smoke all the time, and when it starts to go out in the middle of the night no one wants to get out of there warm bag to stoke it.

With a propane heater you can turn it off after you get in your bag, and turn it on from your bag in the morning, warm up the tent, and get up and get dressed.

Many a elk hunter has stayed in bed to long and missed getting out there early because no one stoked the fire and it's to dang cold to get up!

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
            Killer I might just bite the bullet and work a few extra weekends so I can afford a wall tent. I plan on making an out of state DIY hunt a yearly event from now on so it would be worth it to get one. I should probably peruse craiglist for some of the western states and see if I can find a decent used one, and a stove to use in conjunction with it as well.
            If you buy 1 or 2 big ticket items every year, and don't skimp on quality you will eventually have everything you need. a good wall tent is a good place to start. My brother and I bought one from Davis tent years ago and it has been great! We got the 15' x 18' with window. Bigger IS better and I would highly suggest the window.

Comment

Here is a good post on the ins and outs of Wall tents.

After this season I am looking at investing in a new base camp. My 3 season 6 man tent proved inadequate with heavy snow. Camp trailers are very limiting on where you can go. A 4 season tent or a wall tent seem like the answer. I've only one experience sleeping in a wall tent...it...

Like everything there is good and bad to Wall Tents. One of the pitfalls of Wall Tents is you need to put them away dry or you could ruin them.

I almost bought a Davis Tent after using spike Tents in a base camp scenario. I opted for the Alaknak instead:
              1) Because I got a great deal
              2) With between 0 & 18 nights(depending on the hunts I draw) in a Western Base camp per year, the Alaknak is a more versatile option for me around home.

I'll be spending 12-15 nights over 2 hunts this year in my Alaknak. By mid Oct I may have changed my tune....course that won't help you this year.

Comment

Ouch! but Wahooooo! Got my credit card bill in today. $1200 hit for my rifle Nevada Bull Elk tag in Unit 76 early season. It took thirteen years but it's finally gonna happen. Let the countdown begin. Hopefully the tag will come in the mail any day.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  Ouch! but Wahooooo! Got my credit card bill in today. $1200 hit for my rifle Nevada Bull Elk tag in Unit 76 early season. It took thirteen years but it's finally gonna happen. Let the countdown begin. Hopefully the tag will come in the mail any day.
                  Wow ! congrats to you! I expect to see a lot of big bulls on this thread, come late September, and maybe one in late November!

Comment

I just posted a pair of Asolo 520 GTX in the classifieds if you know of someone needing a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                      Congrats on the tag!!! I have hunted the Gila twice, both times Unit 15, and it was awesome both years. They were real wet and lots of water around. You done good getting a guide. I would suggest getting in good shape and shooting at longer distances while sitting/kneeling/hunched. I would have had a monster 5 years ago if I would have been comfortable shooting at 55 yards. Perfect conditions on a calm elk, but I was shaking like a leaf as he screamed at me from the meadow. I had only practiced to 45 and I still kick myself for not putting in the time to hone my craft.
                      What is the temp range? and what size of animal should I wait for? Not like it matters because Im not sure how to judge elk and its my first time. The guide will help but I thought your opinions would be nice also.

Comment

When I went to the Gila 3 years ago it was pretty warm mid day. Comfortably cool in the mornings and evenings. My advice for what to shoot is. If you have a good shot at one you like. Shoot him. I took the bull in my avatar in 16 D

Comment

Any of you Colorado guys have a moisture/rainfall report for north of Gunnison unit 54 area.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            They charged me weeks ago and I still haven't received my tags in the mail...and I'm a local boy

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                              Any of you Colorado guys have a moisture/rainfall report for north of Gunnison unit 54 area.
                              Still had snow up there this weekend.

Comment

Headed to Ruidoso ! If I get pics of some elk I will post them. They like to hang out around the house.

Comment

Working...
                                X