• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
    sorry, couldn't resist.

Uato-correct is allsome

Comment

Because I'm too old and stubborn. Unlike some here I don't think I am unsafe. But I believe an individual has to make the choice for themselves. That said . . .

Many years ago I set some bad examples at work. For some they felt unsafe going into a chlorine emergency even with the correct PPE like an SCBA. I wouldn't hesitate. On a few occasions I even held my breath, walked in, closed the valve to stop the leak and walked out. With a level head and the correct understanding of the job I was able to stop a bad situation from turning into a full blown emergency by responding immediately. Was it unsafe? Well the bean counters would say yes and so would some of the more timid employees. But not having to evacuate a plant and shut down operations by my ability to do that without injury or harm to me sure saved that from happening.

That said I have to agree that to some it gives them a bad impression it's okay. I learned later in my career that some would try similar things and get in a bind because they didn't have my abilities and then cite my bad example as the reason they tried it so I had to adjust my way of doing things to set a better example.

I guess statements here could be viewed in that same manner and this discussion has definitely reminded me of that and I have changed my point of view accordingly.

Comment

You sure do think highly of yourself, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
          You sure do think highly of yourself, don't you?
          Well someone has to and I'm not sure anyone one else will so, yeah.

Comment

Harness

I don't post much, but a no brainer to chime in here.....

I hunted out of wooden ladders, homemade birdnests in a tree, off tree limbs, homemade lockons, homemade climbers, store bought climbers and on and on for 20+ yrs., even after my first daughter was born. It drove one of my hunting buddies and my wife crazy. But, much like a couple on here, I did not see where it was any of their business, and I was uber careful and thought "I" controlled the situation, and as long as "I" did not get myself in a bind (which I would not because I was overly careful), I was willing to take the risk not to have to add that extra step to my already painstaking process that was involved in my way of hunting. I was as comfortable 25' up a tree as I was on the ground.

Six or seven years ago that buddy of mine got with my wife and asked her to buy me a safety harness for Christmas. I got it and it did not come out of the box the rest of that season, even though I hunted ALOT!

Fast forward to the next spring and I was hanging a ladder stand. I was pretty much done and was going to climb back up and hang my bow hanger, so thankfully, that was the only thing I had in my hand. I had made it to the top of a short ladder section, my feet could not have been more than 5 ft. off the ground and as careful as I THOUGHT I was, I had not secured the top of a short four to five rung ladder I used at the base of the tree. Like I said, I was super careful, and that was a safe way to reach the first set of rapid rails I was using because of the fat base on the tree. When I stepped on that last rung the ladder gave to one side. I fell all of 5 ft. and landed on a yaupon that was growing sideways and so it hit me flush across the ribs. It knocked my breath out and my head slammed on the ground pretty good, I think it knocked me unconscious briefly and I might have stayed unconscious except I could not breath. I got to my all fours and was gasping for air, it hurt bad and I did not know what had happened at that point, I could not breath for what seemed like an eternity but eventually got my breath back. I was sure I had broken my ribs. But a visual inspection showed some major bruising/"road rash" about the size of a basketball on my ribs and a bruised head. I was extremely sore, but time proved I had no major damage...at least not to my ribs.

I don't know that I would have had that safety harness on even if I was using it religiously at the time, but what that showed me was what a fall from 5' will do. After I finally got my breath, I was lying on my back trying to get my wits and I remember looking at the locon and thinking that if i would have fallen from that height, I would have been severely injured if not dead.

No matter how safe you think you are, one second you are upright and the very next you are flat of your back, it happens SO SO SO fast!

If I did not have that harness in a box at home, I don't know that that fall would have prompted me to go buy one, but I know that since it was there I used it on the very first hunt that year and I will tell you this, it may not save my life, but the piece of mind to know I am at least doing everything I can to be as safe as I can is priceless. I know that still does not guarantee my safety and I still have the same healthy respect I always did for hunting from a tree stand, but have added one extra step to my process, not much to it.

I was all of you naysayers....used the very same argument with my wife and hunting buddies and felt as safe 25' up a tree as I did standing on the ground, but as safe as I was, I made one mistake and that was enough to show me that it CAN happen.

My wife still does not know why I started wearing that harness, but I know it makes her feel better when I do. You would be hard pressed to catch me in a tree without one now.

Comment

Brick wall meet head.....

Just stay safe everyone however you deem necessary. For any younger or new hunters that may be reading this, go the extra mile, take the extra time and spend the extra$ to stay safe so you can return home to your family and friends whomever they are. Its like any other form of insurance, you never need it until you need it, but when that day comes you'll be glad you did.

Comment

Stay safe!

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                  Brick wall meet head.....

Its like any other form of insurance, you never need it until you need it, but when that day comes you'll be glad you did.
                  Well said !

Comment

Working...
                  X