Guidance from those with experience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guidance from those with experience.

I want to plant a few plum, peach, pear and apricot trees in Ennis, which is the Ellis County area.... Anyone have experience with certain ones being the best in this zone? Thank in advance for your time and information.

I would call your extension agent's office and ask. They will have the best varieties for your area.

Be careful on your pear trees as almost all need a pollinator. I know Moon Glow and Orient do not. Kiefer is an excellent eating pear as is Orient if they will do well there.

Sure Crop nectarine has been a real performer for me with large crops of excellent eating fruit every year.

Comment

I had an Orient at my house in Plano. It did real well and the pears tasted great! I'm planning on planting one in Allen soon.

Comment

Thanks..

Comment

I live in Euless and my apricots are loaded this year. I have a sandy red iron ore type soil with red/yellowish clay mixed in. Plums, peaches, persimmons and blackberries do well here. Also have one fruit cocktail tree and it is blooming now. It has peaches, plums, nectarines and something else. It's on 2nd year so I don't know what it will do but the root stock appears to be plum.

Fruit trees need care to prevent mockingbirds from destroying any fuit they produce. Buy yourself a pellet gun and a shovel.
          Don't forget the sprays like neem oil and copper sulfate to protect the trees from insects and fungus.

Comment

plums should not get sun all day...a few hours is all it's needed

Comment

Harvester peaches were by far the best trees I had. They are slowly dying now but they are 21 years old. They have produced every year and I don't ever recall losing a crop to frost. The second best variety was Elberta. They lived for about 15 years.

I have a Orient pear tree that will have a bumper crop every other year.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have started a list to take to my local nursery !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X