Hanging a deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging a deer

I was taught and have always hung deer head down. Makes it easier skinning around the deer’s backside. I’ve seen pics of deer hung from the antlers or head. Which do you guys prefer and why?

I’m not saying one is better than the other, I’m curious to hear other’s ways of doing things

I hang head down. They seem to bleed out better

Comment

I've only ever seen them hung upside down. I'm not exactly sure why but I would think it makes it easier to cape one out that way.

Comment

I've alway done head down. Tried to hang one by the head once but it makes it difficult to skin around the front legs. If you used the tennis ball and winch trick it may work better

Comment

Antlers

Comment

If caping head down, otherwise hang by the head.

Comment

Hind legs up

Comment

Always skinned them with the head down. Except for one time, a couple of guys I took hunting from Dallas, who had obviously never been hunting. They informed me they read the book, not sure who wrote the book they read, but I would like to kick that guy in the nuts. First off it was down in the teens that day, I did not realize it was going to be so cold, I was at home in the warmth, when I got a call, saying I needed to go pick up two guys at the air port and take them out to get one deer each. Everything was covered in ice, including the deer we found out. The first deer that was shot, looked like someone shot a ice statue with a rifle, it looked like it exploded. Turns out the deer had been covered in ice.

I was only wearing a short sleeve shirt and blue jean jacket and blue jeans, then my boots. These guys wanted to tell me they were going to gut and skin the deer. I told them I could gut it in less than 2 minutes and it did not need to be skinned at that point, let the processing plant do the skinning. It was extremely cold and we did not need to be having deer gut and skinning school at that point, too **** cold. But nope, they had to gut it. We had to hang the deer by it's head from a oak tree. Then they started cutting from the top and went down. Turned out to be the biggest mess I ever dealt with. Once the guy got down between the deer's back legs, groin area, the other guy and I were having to hold the guts up, so the guy doing the cutting could see what he was doing. Which he was not quick about it at all, never having gut a animal before. Once we got that done. I told them I would show them how it's done on the next deer. But nope, they insisted they were going to gut and skin their own deer, which I should have let them do so all by them selves. They did not learn anything from the first one. They did the second deer, exactly like the first deer. And we skinned both deer afterwards, then tried to fit the whole deer is some little bags, they bought. It was entertainment I could have done without.

Comment

I've done both and actually prefer hang by it's neck if not caping it out. I don't do the tennis ball method, but after I get enough I can fit in my hand, I put all this 300# *** can into it and it skins pretty quickly.

When hanging heads down, I can't put as much *** behind it or risk it coming down so it takes longer to skin.

Only benefit I see to heads down is when caping and is best to prevent dropping a rear leg qtr accidently.

Comment

Done it both ways but prefer head down. Only cuts in the skin are around the hocks and between the back legs. Peel the skin down, break the elbow joints, and cut through the neck just behind the head. Very little chance of hair on the meat that way. Remove the front quarters and rib and neck trimmings before I even gut it...no chance of spilled guts on any meat.

Comment

Antlers up makes it easier to gut a deer if you haven't already field dressed it. Let gravity do the work for you. I prefer to field dress and hang head down from a gambrel. Seems to be quicker, and easier to skin and quarter a deer that way for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                        Done it both ways but prefer head down. Only cuts in the skin are around the hocks and between the back legs. Peel the skin down, break the elbow joints, and cut through the neck just behind the head. Very little chance of hair on the meat that way. Remove the front quarters and rib and neck trimmings before I even gut it...no chance of spilled guts on any meat.

Yep

Comment

I gut them laying down sideways...and let the processor skin it. I don’t have the patience to process the meat myself nor the equipment.

Comment

Old German man taught me to hang them by the head.

Comment

Head down every time

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                              X