fill feeder and hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fill feeder and hunt?

There was a thread about filling feeders the same day you hunt. I figured I would present pictorial evidence that you can do that.

I dropped Dog off at his stand to hunt a big double drop 10 and decided to fill one of my feeders before going to another stand to try and video a couple big bucks that had been seen in my area. I wouldn't normally fill a feeder this late. I like to do it in the middle of the day, but I wasn't planning on hunting the feeder. I went in at 4, filled the feeder, put out some chum corn and a pile of Acorn Rage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	feeder fill.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	24751403

10 minutes later the turkeys come in. They stayed for an hour.

Name:	10 minutes later.jpg
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	24751404

less than two hours after all that activity at the feeder, the deer arrive.

Name:	deer arrive.jpg
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	24751405

If I had climbed up in my tree stand, I could have had turkey and backstraps. That's a pretty nice young 8. A year or two and he'll be nice.

Name:	nice young 8.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	24751406

He likes Acorn Rage and the Fusion screw block. I've got a lot of pics of him over the last several months eating both. There's not much left of the fusion block. You can see it on the tree in the background. I guess this is also a thread that confirms Acorn Rage as an attractant.

Name:	likes acorn rage.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	24751407

Here's a definate cull. It's the kind of deer that we like to kill to get out of the herd. Short 3's are common on our place. He needs a Rage of a different kind.

Name:	cull.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	24751408

We're going back this week to try and get our doe and cull numbers up. Mailman will get one more try at his trophy.

Great pictorial. I have noticed the same thing on my cameras.

Comment

nice picks. I guess it doesnt hurt anything

Comment

I've never had a problem doing this on my lease as well. Guess it all depend on the hunting pressure.

Comment

I filled a feeder and placed a new tripod yesterday afternoon, then shot a spike that evening.

Comment

Right after I set my feeder up back in August I think I noticed a little more delay before the deer would start showing up.....but that's definitely not the case now....not even with the mature deer as far as I can tell.

Great post.....interested in hearing other folks experiences.

predatorsniper

Comment

I've never had a problem doing this on my lease as well. Guess it all depend on the hunting pressure.
              I think this is the most important statement of the whole thread. The place I hunt is surrounded by very small "ranches" and as a result, the pressure on the deer is very high. We can tell a difference in deer activity if we drive around our place too much filling feeders, etc. That's not to say we won't still see deer that evening, but the number of deer will be down and they are much more skitish.

Comment

That was me that had the question about filling and hunting. Deer are just not coming to our feeders, and if they do it's at night. I have been on 44 hunts and have seen 3 deer and none came to the feeder. Not all 44 hunts were at the feeder. Camera has been out since Sept. and I do not have one pic of a doe, all bucks. My season last year was about the same. Sorry had to vent.

Comment

Ugh.....my lease sucks.....you have more bucks at your stand 5 hours after filling a feeder than I've had all season!

Cool photos doc, those turkeys are begging to get whacked!

Comment

MMMMM, I can fill my feeder and chum and have deer watching me climb into my stand. Mostly does and spikes. Takes awhile for the bigger boys to come out.....if at all.

Comment

nice picks, hopefully after march I can start posting some of those, thats when I will be looking for a lease. man its exciting as it will be my first lease. I hope my pics will look that gd / productive

Comment

where are the raccoons

Comment

In that last pic, did ya'll catch that one buck and saw his horns off? Because it looks like he might of had some and now he does not.LMAO!!

Comment

The proof is in the pudding!

Comment

No, he just has some skanky looking short multiple spikes.

Comment

Working...
                              X