Trad Zen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad Zen!

I bought a hoyt excel a few years ago in an attempt to get into trad shooting. Never could get consistent enough groups to know if it was tuned or not. Life eventually got in the way, and I hadn't picked up that bow in at least a year or two. Shot my compound a few times this last bow season, but not much else.

Decided to pull it out today because I was bored and disappointed in myself for not shooting it.

Again, I couldn't shoot consistently. Then on one shot, everything clicked and I figured it all out. Problem 1...I was trying to hard to aim. I was trying to find a spot to put the tip of my arrow. I always had to aim really low, and couldn't shoot with any degree of vertical accuracy. Problem 2... My release. I'm shooting with a tab, which I like. 3 under. That one shot where it clicked the release just felt clean. Most of my shots had been veering left. I was plucking on the release.

I sat down at 20 yards, took some deep breaths not even looking at the target. I looked up, focused on the spot I wanted to hit... But without aiming. I just felt for it. Instinctual shooting I guess. I talked myself through keeping my bow arm slightly bent. I talked myself through not dropping the bow arm and remembering to follow through. I talked myself through focusing on a clean release. I hit my target.

I did it again. And again. I felt the joy of shooting a bow again. I've always been a shooter and shooting has always been so mechanical for me. I wasn't used to feeling a shot. I could stack arrows with a compound at 50 yards all day as long as the pin was supposed to be when i pulled the trigger on my release. Compound got boring. There was no challenge in it anymore.

Anyway, I've rediscovered my love for traditional shooting. My arrows flew nicely, and I think I'm tuned up. With some warm-up, I'd be comfortable shooting live deer out to 20 yards. Gonna have to work on that first shot though.

Where's the like button!

Comment

Awesome Ryan!! I've gotten into it too. Be careful though it's addictive. I've bought 3 bows since December lol.

Comment

I won't be buying any more bows. I've got a great place to bow hunt this year, so my goal is to be ready to use the recurve

Comment

Cool. Where's your new place at?

Comment

Buddy at work has a bunch of family land out by ranger. He claims that the hunting is so good even with a bow it's about guaranteed to get a shot every weekend. Well see

Comment

Sweet!!

Comment

Originally posted by PSD Ryan View Post
                Buddy at work has a bunch of family land out by ranger. He claims that the hunting is so good even with a bow it's about guaranteed to get a shot every weekend. Well see
                Ranger=

Comment

I wish someone had flicked the switch that fast for me lol

Glad you got it going your way. Best of luck this season!

Comment

That's great!!! Congtrats

Comment

Good for you brother! Enjoy the ride... Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

I think you made a big step. I found that for myself, the next step was not thinking about it at all.

When you throw a ball to someone, you don't go through a check list or think about anything....imagine you are shortstop or a quarterback hitting a receiver...you just let it fly and it goes where it is suppose to (most of the time).

Comment

Trad archery is more art than anything else. I've found that, when I really want to hit the target, I miss my spot. If I just let it flow, it's on.don't think about it, just shoot. As long as your form is correct, your arrow will fly true. And above all else, have fun

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Great post Ryan. Same problem I was having. Makes me want to pick up my Sage and get back at it.

Comment

I'm going out every day and shooting at least that first cold shot. Yesterday I was within 2 inches of where i was aiming at 20. Practicing the other day, I learned I do better anchoring a little lower instead of along the side of my cheek like with compound. I've also been working on "the t". Shooting about 50-75 per day when I can. I always say "just one more set" and end up not stopping.

Comment

Working...
                              X