Mesh windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesh windows?

How many on you shoot through mesh windows with your long bows?
    Any issues?

It works just fine for any bow & arrow with some thought put into it, and practice shooting through it.

Things I have found that work best "for me":

3 blade broadheads work better than 2 blade through the screen, because they create a better portal for pass through.

Low profile feathers, and/or vanes work better than large feather fletching, because there is less chance of them snagging.

The tighter the screen is stretched the better things will work. Some folks say just the opposite of that, but a loose screen don't cut it for me.

All that said - "I hate looking through the stuff to shoot, so I seldom use itanymore."

Rick

Comment

No issues at all for me. 3 gobblers and 5 hogs shooting through mesh this hunting season. I was shooting GK 150's XL.or Abowyer bears 140 (1 1/4")

I do lower the window as it gets darker so I can see better , I have lighted feeder so I hunt late into the night. The mess does cause vision issues in low light situation

Comment

Todd, I'm sure the reason I hate looking through the mesh (regardless of the light) is because I wear glasses, and I am left eye dominant, but shoot right handed, so I already have to make sure I have good depth perception focus before I shoot. The mesh screws that all up for me.

I'd say the mesh works real well for most folks. I guess the thing I really am getting at is - don't let a hunting scenario be where you find out whether you like it, or not. Spend some time shooting through it at some targets before you take it hunting.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
          It works just fine for any bow & arrow with some thought put into it, and practice shooting through it.

Things I have found that work best "for me":

3 blade broadheads work better than 2 blade through the screen, because they create a better portal for pass through.

Low profile feathers, and/or vanes work better than large feather fletching, because there is less chance of them snagging.

The tighter the screen is stretched the better things will work. Some folks say just the opposite of that, but a loose screen don't cut it for me.

All that said - "I hate looking through the stuff to shoot, so I seldom use itanymore."

Rick
          And try to shoot as perpendicular to the mesh as possible. Shooting at a severe angle can and will make the arrow deflect more and cause you to not hit the frog hair you are aiming for.

Comment

All our blinds have it and we've shot through it for years with few mishaps; those would include the things mentioned above. One other thing negative I've found is that, if it faces the rising or setting sun, there is sometimes a glare which makes it difficult to see through.
            I do like the concealment it gives you though, especially on turkeys.

Comment

I trim down the quill on the fletch and put a drop of glue to insure it won't snag on the mesh. I also try to brush in the blind so I can shoot without the mesh if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Restless View Post
                I trim down the quill on the fletch and put a drop of glue to insure it won't snag on the mesh. I also try to brush in the blind so I can shoot without the mesh if possible.
                I've done the same thing but still have the fletching catch at severe angles. As Steve (Texas 50) said above, all our ground blinds have netting and although there are a few negatives we think the positives out weigh them.

BTW Scott, I need to come get my blind. I'll call you one day soon.

Bisch

Comment

The few hogs that roam the ranch always see the black hole when we take the mesh off and stand facing the blind when eating. I spray painted a the side net black and replaced it when I knew I wasn't going to be hunting for a while.
                  They say hogs are stupid, but I disagree, they know every limb branch and weed or that was changed.
                  Then again we don't have 20-30 hogs that rush the feeder, Most I've seen at once was 11 or 12. 6 or 8 of those were 20-25 pounds.

Snuffers have no problem at all going through the screen.

Comment

we use them all the time with no issues

Comment

I haven't had any issues with mesh.

Comment

Working...
                      X