Truck life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck life?

Im torn on buying a new truck right now. I have an 08 Sierra 1500 6.0 with 168,000 miles and hardly any towing that I bought new 10 years ago. At the moment it runs fine but Ive replaced the transfer case, both front hubs, radiator along with all other normal/preventative maintenance. Its mostly highway miles and unfortunately most of the replacements have occurred when Ive been traveling. It does have some little issues like mirror & window motors and a finicky door lock that act up.

Longevity and reliability are my biggest concerns especially as we start to have a family. If I didnt have to drive so much in the middle of no where it wouldnt be that big of a deal.

I dunno, what are your thoughts? Time for a new one or let it keep going?

Do you drive lots of miles for work ?
    Do you have another newer vehicle to use for family things ?

Comment

i deserve a new truck every ten years max so do you.

Comment

Sounds like you've fixed most of the main trouble points for that age and mileage vehicle. I would say keep driving it. But Im in the minority I will never buy a showroom floor new truck again.

Or do like 90% of the people on Craigslist and try to sell it for $22k and buy a new one.

Comment

Kind of in the same boat here. I’m to the point where I can still make good money off of my truck if I sale it but I’m worried I’m going to have to start putting money into, so I think it’s about to be gone.

Comment

I don't even buy a truck until they have that many miles

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              I don't even buy a truck until they have that many miles
              This

Comment

Originally posted by ReydonPete View Post
                Do you drive lots of miles for work ?
                Do you have another newer vehicle to use for family things ?

I dont drive much for work, just fun. Average 17,000 miles/year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hate the idea of spending money on something that is just an expense. I just worry about breaking down out in no mans land, especially with young children. Living in West Texas its hard to break down in a convenient spot.

Comment

If you don’t drive lots of miles I’d keep driving it. The money you save can go to other things for family etc.
                    It’s nice to not have a new vehicle payment, extra money will be nice especially if your starting a family
                    You can always buy later if circumstances change for you

Comment

Originally posted by tex8569 View Post
                      I hate the idea of spending money on something that is just an expense. I just worry about breaking down out in no mans land, especially with young children. Living in West Texas its hard to break down in a convenient spot.

Seems like you're trying to talk yourself into it. If I were you I would just save some cash for down payment and start shopping for a good deal. You have time on your side right now.

Comment

I have philosophy. How many dollars can you put in the old truck to bring it back to almost new vs the price of a new one.
                        50 %? Then after that put it back every month for a new one. Trucks are tools unless you like to just run pavement everyday.

Comment

I just got rid of my 09 Traverse. When I let it go, I was at 210K miles.

I didn't want to have to put out any money on a major repair and decided it was time to get a new to me vehicle. Got a new to me 2017 Expedition with a few miles on it.

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is are you ready for a new vehicle or ready to put out money for a major repair?

If you blow a cylinder on the engine or if the transmission goes, are you going to be upset about spending money towards the repair?

Comment

319,000 miles and some of it at extremes many pulling heavy loads - still a beast!! '01 sierra

Comment

BTW the engine was recalled at 35,000 so the replacement has 274,ooo miles Alison tranny is original rear wheel bearings original just repacked twice. original front end and steering replaced the drivers side hub up fromt but passenger side original. Paid $1,500 to have the main seal in the tranny replaced only to find out a torque converter weld had failed in - 25 degree weather up on the great divide. crankshaft sensor but found out it was recalled after I paid a dealership to change. everything else is still original! Oh had a bad brake booster spitting power steering fluid and it turned out to be a bad casting. Just can't let go of her - as I said that 8.1 is STILL a beast!!

Comment

Working...
                              X