Knife-worth refinishing and how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife-worth refinishing and how?

This is a knife my brother gave me a while back and someone got all rusted. I have no idea how old it is. The blade has some cool engravings of what looks like two Indians chasing buffalo with one of them trying to rope one. That part is odd. I want to refinish it or get it refinished but don’t want to ruin the engraving. Does anyone have experience with this or advice or seen a knife like this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think any buffing you do on that blade will take the engraving off. The handle looks like it could be repaired.

Comment

Get a nice glass case and hang it on the wall, then make up some story and mess with your friends like this was Buffalo Bill Cody's last knife.

Comment

Worth refinishing as in is it valuable? No, monetarily, this one isn’t a valuable collectible. Sentimental value, that’s up to you. The scales are really dried and show significant shrinkage, the “engravings” look laser etched to me. The handles can be replaced and the blade can cleaned up. If you want a cool knife that looks better, go for it! If you want to preserve it as is, do like Bassdeer said and display it as is.

Comment

Can you feel the engraving on the blade? As in, can you hang a fingernail on the engraving lines? If not, don't touch it. If so, I would start with maybe some 1500 grit sandpaper and lightly sand it to remove the rust. If that works, take it up to 3000 grit in stages and then give it a very light buffing. The handles should be able to be repaired/replaced if you wanted to do that.

Comment

Steel wool on the blade?

Comment

Don't use sandpaper. I would treat it like rust on a gun. Ultra fine steel wool soaked in oil, it works on guns without removing the blueing.

Comment

0000 steel wool and a penetrating oil,,,, do not use sandpaper!!!!!

Comment

E tank

Comment

I don't know how to multiquote but many thanks to all the responses. It seems the best way to proceed is with steel wool. I'll let you know how it goes.

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                    0000 steel wool and a penetrating oil,,,, do not use sandpaper!!!!!

Comment

I like this idea- seeing that I can't even remember where the knife came from, any story is plausible.

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                      Get a nice glass case and hang it on the wall, then make up some story and mess with your friends like this was Buffalo Bill Cody's last knife.

Comment

Soak it in white vinegar it will take the rust right off after that you can hust
                        Oil it good or finish it with things, ospho blue works good

Comment

Working...
                        X