Possible career change ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible career change ideas

So I have been cowboying or as some may call it ranching for the last 6 years. I love the industry and have always loved it, but I’m physically and mentally exhausted. It’s hard to stay steady right now, work can be hard to find and when you do find it, it’s in another state and doesn’t pay very well. Pay isn’t everything but if I’m going to be away from my family I want to be compensated for it. Before this I was in the military for 6 years. I’m pretty good at most things, learn fast and work hard. Punctual and reliable, Love being outside, like to travel...anyone have any suggestions or know of anything?

Oilfield...

Comment

Fire service
      The pay isn't great but you get lots of time off and where else can you get paid to sleep (if you are lucky)

Comment

Combination ranching and construction. Smart’s suggestion might work for you as well.

I know of a possible job position for you that describes my first sentence, but the owner is difficult to work for. Can’t depend on much anything he tells you. Sometimes you’d be building things. Would be working on more than one ranch.

Comment

Where are you located? Have any electronics and basic mechanical background?

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
            Fire service
            The pay isn't great but you get lots of time off and where else can you get paid to sleep (if you are lucky)
            By this do you mean firefighter?

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
              Where are you located? Have any electronics and basic mechanical background?
              I’m in the Weatherford area but might relocate and yes on both

Comment

Border patrol is hiring... You would work outside and might even be able to do it on a horse depending on where you are stationed...

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
                  Combination ranching and construction. Smart’s suggestion might work for you as well.

I know of a possible job position for you that describes my first sentence, but the owner is difficult to work for. Can’t depend on much anything he tells you. Sometimes you’d be building things. Would be working on more than one ranch.
                  What kind of work does this entail?

Comment

Originally posted by jbonney1986 View Post
                    By this do you mean firefighter?
                    Yes sir

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                      Yes sir
                      Pretty tough to get on a department these days isn’t it?

Comment

Pretty tough to get on a department these days isn’t it?
                        Not as easy as it used to be you will need to get certified first if you go to any smaller departments and they are much easier to get on with. you can get all your classes online now with a 1 to 2 week boot camp for skills

Comment

independent insurance adjuster

Comment

What kind of work does this entail?
                            General care of cattle and feeding. Can get real messy there during rainy times of year. Maintaining ranch which involves mowing around buildings, driveway and highway frontage. Pasture mowing. Fence repair. During calving you have to tag, weigh, and record all info for registered breed.

On second ranch you might be helping to build metal buildings. But that is uncertain. Help build pipe fencing. May assist with running heavy equipment at times to move dirt for filling in low areas. Possibly dig more ponds. Depending on who is available, you might be cutting, raking, and baling hay as well.

Not sure if the position has been filled yet.
                            Last edited by Worksalot; 05-29-2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              Border patrol is hiring... You would work outside and might even be able to do it on a horse depending on where you are stationed...
                              This, DHS is having a hiring even at the end of the month at Ranger’s Ballpark for Customs and Border Patrol.

Comment

Working...
                              X