No announcement yet.

Possible career change ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The aviation field is hot. Requires school that your GI BIll will cover.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Job

Get in the electrical trade or HVAC trade. Right at 60% of electricians today will be gone in the next 10 yrs. 18-25 yr olds only make up only 3% of the national workforce. The needs for electricians is already off the charts. Many companies are working non-qualified, non trained, non-licensed electricians. They cannot find trained licensed electricians. Find a good company, get your apprentice license, show up early to work everyday, pay attention, show some initiative, clean up, keep up with your tools, do your job task, don't be a lazy POS expecting to be paid for standing around and doing nothing. Get involved in what's happening, ask questions and if you do that you will have a job the rest of your life.

Comment

Great thread and ideas fellas!!!

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
          Border patrol is hiring... You would work outside and might even be able to do it on a horse depending on where you are stationed...

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post

Comment

I went to Kilgore college, 10 week program. Oncor recruited me, the day of graduation. They hired 9 out of the 13 that completed the class.

Comment

I say go the fire service route. I know multiple guys that are firemen that cowboy on their days off. You only work 10 days a month so that give you plenty of time to still work on a ranch somewhere. Depends what department you go get on with but mine starts new guys out at almost $65K.

Comment

Any interest in driving a truck?

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                  Not as easy as it used to be you will need to get certified first if you go to any smaller departments and they are much easier to get on with. you can get all your classes online now with a 1 to 2 week boot camp for skills
                  Dphillips62 is right, once you are certified though you're options are endless. Check out the Texas Commission on Fire Protection Jobs page-it'll give you a good idea of what departments are hiring and what starting pay/benefits as well as schedules are. The best 3-shift schedule is the 48/96. Most all of the three shift departments in the Houston area have gone to it. There are a handful of departments working four shifts-the most popular is the 2 on/6 off schedule.

dphillips62, did you work for VFD back in the mid 90s? If so, I remember working with you for a little while back then.

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                    Fire service
                    The pay isn't great but you get lots of time off and where else can you get paid to sleep (if you are lucky)
                    Pay is actually pretty good once you get about 10 years under your belt.
                    And, it's only 10 days a month.

As for the op
                    Start a lawn business,
                    Get an applicators license from the department of agriculture and spray bugs
                    There are a lot of options out there, just think outside the box

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                      If I were 20-30 right now I'd probably be looking into the aviation industry, probably on the pilot side but the rest of it appeals to me as well

Comment

TxDOT is hiring state wide. Many of the maintenance sections work 4/10s, giving you a three day weekend to ranch/cowboy on the side. plus insurance, benefits and holidays, etc.
                        I've been on this program going on 5 years.
                        It suits my schedule pretty well.

Comment

I wish I’d become an optometrist. Not kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                            I wish I’d become an optometrist. Not kidding.

Hindsight is always 20/20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Road and Bridge Inspector. Having a military background would get you in. Good benefits, good pay, and you get to work outside but keep your boots clean (for the most part). I personally have been in for a few years now. Started off at 49k and already within striking distance of 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post
                                Dphillips62 is right, once you are certified though you're options are endless. Check out the Texas Commission on Fire Protection Jobs page-it'll give you a good idea of what departments are hiring and what starting pay/benefits as well as schedules are. The best 3-shift schedule is the 48/96. Most all of the three shift departments in the Houston area have gone to it. There are a handful of departments working four shifts-the most popular is the 2 on/6 off schedule.

dphillips62, did you work for VFD back in the mid 90s? If so, I remember working with you for a little while back then.
                                Yes I did

Comment

Working...
                                X