Autofocus not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autofocus not working?

I have a Sigma 70-300 zoom lens I use on a Nikon D40. Recently the autofocus stopped working. I don't think it's a problem with the camera body as other lenses will AF just fine. Any idea what the prob might be? Just want to see if there might be a quick fix to try before I send it off somewhere.

I had the same problem on my Canon. Take the lens off and clean the contacts on both the lens and the camers with a Q-Tip and alcohol. Mine started working again right away. Now I do it regularly every month or so. Have not had any more problems since. Good luck.

Comment

does the lens move and not focus, or the motor not drive the lens at all? If the first, check the macro switch- also if you can return the lens to the 70mm position this will not be the case, provided it is the lens I am thinking of. If the latter, check the AF/MF switch on the lens. Both simple, but easy to rule out.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
        does the lens move and not focus, or the motor not drive the lens at all? If the first, check the macro switch- also if you can return the lens to the 70mm position this will not be the case, provided it is the lens I am thinking of. If the latter, check the AF/MF switch on the lens. Both simple, but easy to rule out.
        On the advice above I carefully cleaned the contacts but still, the motor does not move the lens at all. The switches are in the proper position, but that assumes the switches are working. After a Google search I found that the AF conking out is a fairly common problem with that lens. It is out of warranty so there may be an expensive repair bill in my future.

Comment

Hi..........I have the same lens and it started having problems after a few months, I was super bummed. I had also read this is a common issue with this lens. I have been fortunate to upgraded my body (a birthday gift from my sister) and have used it successfully with the D7000 with absolutely NO problem, in fact it works so much better than it ever did with the D60. Not an expert, but that is my experience. I really like that lens, I think others are surprised at what I manage to capture....with my one inexpensive lens........smile.

Explore Jennifer Jean’s 1,023 photos on Flickr!

All photos on my flickr stream are with that lens until I can add more glass....smile.

Good luck, Jerp......hope you can figure it out...

Comment

Working...
          X