Climbing treestand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climbing treestand

So I’ve used a summit viper for years and got tired of the bulky noisy of it. I’m thinking about going back to a climber because I think it’s easier and safer climbing at 5am for morning hunts

I like the idea of the open climbers but the bar to sit and climb makes it so much easier. I also see the Summit open shot is like $150 on Amazon while I originally was looking at the Muddy Tree stalker due to weight and folding flat. But I’ve read some bad reviews.

Might just get a Lone wolf but open or sit and climb. I’m open to everyone’s recommendations and thoughts.

Have you been using the classic version made of steel? The aluminum model is much better for hiking in. I haven't found a better system than Summit's for attaching for the tree...in the $250-300 price range anyway.

Comment

Big difference between the standard Steel Viper and the SD that uses an aluminum frame. About the best climber out there IMO, light and easy to pack in deep. Its very quiet as well, much more so than its steel counterparts. If I wasn't using a Viper SD, Lone Wolf would be my next choice.

Comment

I had the aluminum and for the price of a summit I can get a LW for extra $50 or so

Comment

Originally posted by beads View Post
          I had the aluminum and for the price of a summit I can get a LW for extra $50 or so
          Myself and many others prefer the summit over the lone wolf in a climber

I’ve got an open shot and 2 viper sd. They have all worked wonderfully. Mine don’t make a sound. I’ve got a modified thread in the diy somewhere. Search viper modification I think

Comment

Go summit and don’t think twice. Get the aluminum one and buy the upgraded bungee shoulder straps. THE SUMMIT BRAND straps. I loved my stand before, but love it even more now. I hunt public land. I have packed the stand in and out of the woods 60x for 8years. Original seat and pads. Upgraded the shoulder straps to the bungee ones after 7yrs. Considering replacing cables for peace of mind. It is a great portable system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d give a hard look at XOP: Ambush Sit and Climb, https://www.fulcrumarchery.com/xop-a...sit-and-climb/

Are you just opposed to hang-ons? I’ve used the XOP Vanish for a year and love it. I quieted the stand and sticks even more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I used hang on but for me too much work in the mornings and pain with branches etc. I’m just used to climbers for 15+ yrs.

So thoughts on open vs the viper? Like the idea of open like a hang on but how hard are they climbing compared to the viper?

Comment

I used hang on but for me too much work in the mornings and pain with branches etc. I’m just used to climbers for 15+ yrs.

So thoughts on open vs the viper? Like the idea of open like a hang on but how hard are they climbing compared to the viper?
                  My viper on a perfect tree I can be at 30’ and ready, silently in 3-4 minutes.

My lone wolf loc on I can be 22’ in about 3-4 minutes.... perfect tree

Biggest difference with loc on is I can hunt where I need to vs hunting for a tree.

If your hunting pine trees then yea the climber will fill most every need and more comfortable.

In hardwoods there’s too many limbs and n a lot of woods. I can always go in blind with loc on and if while hunting see that a climber will work then I’ll note that and next time I want to hunt there I may take climber.

If your looking to upgrade or expand your options keep what you got and get a top end loc on. The lone wolf climber is an expensive lateral move at best. Open vs rail... up to you. Some like the feeling of safety it gives. Both are easy for me to climb but I’m pretty fit. I’m actually faster with open because I will do a pull up and go about 6’ per pump. Shot options are much better in open shot... but it’s a trade for comfort and I love to rest my bow across rail vs bow hanger

Comment

The cheap Summits are usually steel. Go aluminum. Summit or Line Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      My viper on a perfect tree I can be at 30’ and ready, silently in 3-4 minutes.

My lone wolf loc on I can be 22’ in about 3-4 minutes.... perfect tree

Biggest difference with loc on is I can hunt where I need to vs hunting for a tree.

If your hunting pine trees then yea the climber will fill most every need and more comfortable.

In hardwoods there’s too many limbs and n a lot of woods. I can always go in blind with loc on and if while hunting see that a climber will work then I’ll note that and next time I want to hunt there I may take climber.

If your looking to upgrade or expand your options keep what you got and get a top end loc on. The lone wolf climber is an expensive lateral move at best. Open vs rail... up to you. Some like the feeling of safety it gives. Both are easy for me to climb but I’m pretty fit. I’m actually faster with open because I will do a pull up and go about 6’ per pump. Shot options are much better in open shot... but it’s a trade for comfort and I love to rest my bow across rail vs bow hanger
                      That’s the reason I got a loc on couple years ago but seems like I’m still climbing straight trees where a climber is faster. Tree with branches were too troublesome with the linesmans belt especially in the dark

Comment

Summit SD from a treetop flyer

Comment

I still have this if interested

Comment

I have both and I have no issues using the open shot. I'm 6', small frame guy, 170lbs max. You can take longer "steps" up the tree, plus you don't have to worry about the bar while climbing and while hunting.

Comment

So I’ve used a summit viper for years and got tired of the bulky noisy of it. I’m thinking about going back to a climber because I think it’s easier and safer climbing at 5am for morning hunts

I like the idea of the open climbers but the bar to sit and climb makes it so much easier. I also see the Summit open shot is like $150 on Amazon while I originally was looking at the Muddy Tree stalker due to weight and folding flat. But I’ve read some bad reviews.

Might just get a Lone wolf but open or sit and climb. I’m open to everyone’s recommendations and thoughts.
                              I have used a bunch, the quietest by far is the Lone Wolf. I use Summits climbers as hangons. LW are light, quiet and portable.

Comment

Working...
                              X