Insert removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insert removal

Want to change inserts to heavier inserts. How do I remove the existing inserts from carbon shafts?

If I’m trying to save the insert like on a gold tip where you can screw weight on the back side I will lock a old field point in a vice. Then take a heat gun and heat it up. Once it’s hot to the touch I’ll screw the arrow with insert onto it. The heat from Field point will weaken the glue bond. You may have to repeat a few times but you should be able to twist it right off.

Second and fastest way is to remove the nock and drop a drill bit into the arrow shaft and sling the snot out of it... always in a downward motion
    Last edited by Kmiles84; 03-24-2019, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I take a drill bit that fits loosely inside that shaft, hold the arrow where the bit is on the nock end and whip it down so the bit hammers on the insert. After a few whips you'll see the insert moving. Do it in a safe area so if the insert goes flying it dosnt hit someone or something

Sent from my XT1687 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by cwd500; 03-24-2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I've used cwd's method with success

Comment

I’ve got a solder Iron that I took a field point & ground it down enough to fit in the soldering Iron. It only takes a few minutes in each arrow to heat it up enough to pull it right out.

Comment

Drill bit in the arrow is the quickest, easiest method. Maybe not "safest" with people around

Comment

Just be careful with Carbon, extreme heat and solvents affect the epoxy actually holding the carbon fibers together. I think a lot more people are using hot melt to make this "easier", but a slow set epoxy is a bear. The drill should work, but please be very very careful and inspect carefully. I've gotten so paranoid that I experiment with hot melt, and if I like it.... I epoxy, and if I change after that, new shafts. My sanity is worth $50 at this point. (I only build 3-4 of any given build at a time.)

Comment

Thanks for the tips

Comment

The drill bit method works about 80% of the time without damaging the shaft. The most common failure is the insert will expand and destroy the shaft end. It also depends on the adhesive; if you used tip grip it is just going to destroy the shaft.

Heat needs to be low and slow, as others have said, use a small fan to blow the vapor away from you (it shouldn't be hot enough to make much vapor, but it could happen); that stuff it rank.

Alternatively, you can just add weights to the back of the insert that is already in the shaft. Most inserts have threads to accept a weight system (like the Gold Tip F.A.C.T. weight system). Once done experimenting you can then buy the weighted insert in the correct weight and build new arrows. (50, 70, 100, etc.)

Comment

Does the drill bit method work with HIT inserts?

Comment

Originally posted by CALopez1986 View Post
                      Does the drill bit method work with HIT inserts?
                      Yes

Bisch

Comment

I heat where the ferrule is located, pull out with pliers, takes about 3 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                        X