No announcement yet.

Webb County Buck Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At that age he was prob down quite a bit from his prime. No telling how many deer just die of old age out there and are never seen. Def not a high fence canned hunt. Dang ghosts are hard to catch.

Funny thing is that this deer prob wasn't even the oldest deer taken off that place the last 5yrs.

Comment

very cool buck and story. Congrats to your son on a dang fine trophy!

Comment

Thats cool and congrats to your son. How could you tell, or what made you think, he was gored and not shot?

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
          At that age he was prob down quite a bit from his prime. No telling how many deer just die of old age out there and are never seen. Def not a high fence canned hunt. Dang ghosts are hard to catch.

Funny thing is that this deer prob wasn't even the oldest deer taken off that place the last 5yrs.
          Agreed Jack. I think there has been at least a couple that were older than this one. You may have been chasing one of those old grey ghosts this last season.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
            Thats cool and congrats to your son. How could you tell, or what made you think, he was gored and not shot?
            Unfortunately over the years we have had a handful turn up gored or at least that is what it appears to be. Most of the time we find them in a tank when it gets hot and with a hole somewhere in the body cavity... or we see them alive like that. Not a lot, but it always seems to be an older buck.

When we saw him he was walking "hunched" up and slow. Through the binoculars I could tell he had a puncture wound in the midsection. Obviously, I couldn't know what for sure caused it, but none of us had done it. There is always the poaching possibility, but where the wound was he would/should of been dead from a bullet or arrow. It wasn't that big of a hole either. It just looked like a gore wound we had seen in the past.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                Unfortunately over the years we have had a handful turn up gored or at least that is what it appears to be. Most of the time we find them in a tank when it gets hot and with a hole somewhere in the body cavity... or we see them alive like that. Not a lot, but it always seems to be an older buck.

When we saw him he was walking "hunched" up and slow. Through the binoculars I could tell he had a puncture wound in the midsection. Obviously, I couldn't know what for sure caused it, but none of us had done it. There is always the poaching possibility, but where the wound was he would/should of been dead from a bullet or arrow. It wasn't that big of a hole either. It just looked like a gore wound we had seen in the past.
                Its a shame to find them dead, glad your son was able to get him!!

Comment

Working...
                X