Organizing Trail Cam Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organizing Trail Cam Photos

How do you organize and store your trail camera pictures ? I have a bunch saved onto an external hard drive. Problem I am running into is when I wipe out my SD Cards after checking it starts naming the files the same. When I upload them into the ext hard drive all the same names go together so they are out of date order. Any thoughts on a better way to archive old pictures ?

watching this one, I am not paying for any online services.

Comment

Guess everyone else is just as stumped as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by RackstackerG5 View Post
        How do you organize and store your trail camera pictures ? I have a bunch saved onto an external hard drive. Problem I am running into is when I wipe out my SD Cards after checking it starts naming the files the same. When I upload them into the ext hard drive all the same names go together so they are out of date order. Any thoughts on a better way to archive old pictures ?
        Reconyx has a pretty neat software that can assist you in this. Buckview is what its called. Im still trying to figure it out but am liking it more and more.

Comment

I have a folder on my computer in the pictures album named Deer, then a subfolder for each location, then another subfolder under location with the date that I pulled the card. Then I download the pictures to that folder.

Comment

I store on external I just make a folder with the date of download that way even if it has the same name it'll still save it.

Here's my folder structure:

Main Folder
            • Trail Camera 1
              • Download Date 1
              • Download Date 2
              • Download Date 3
            • Trail Camera 2
              • Download Date 1
              • Download Date 2
              • Download Date 3
            • Trail Camera 3
              • Download Date 1
              • Download Date 2
              • Download Date 3

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
              I have a folder on my computer in the pictures album named Deer, then a subfolder for each location, then another subfolder under location with the date that I pulled the card. Then I download the pictures to that folder.
              I do this exactly. Also I have folders for named bucks and will copy their pictures over saved to dated sub folders. The dated sub folder allows you to keep the camera issued picture number without having to name each picture.

Comment

Got it. Now comes the head ache of going through all my older pictures and getting them organized. I have my external drive set up with the folders now.

Comment

Yep, organize with a folder for each stand location or stand name and subfolders for each date or date range when you pull a card. I use to save all my pics, now I just clear the card unless there is something worth saving. But I haven't been on a long term "good" lease or piece of land in a few years. But if you are long term on the land I understand it for managment reasons. I keep 2 cards for each camera so I am just going into the feeding area once per visit to swap cards.

Comment

Set up a yearly folder and then break down into subs by month. I will sort an average of 6,000-8,000 pictures every two weeks July-March. When the month is done, I bet I actually save 50 or less. I only save the best buck pics to chronicle progress/inventory, age progression. I pay close attention to any new bucks that might appear and photos that show individual body characteristics. Anything that will help me identify from year to year regardless of antlers. I also save any other neat pictures that I may get. It's crazy to think I used to run film Camtrakkers and had to develop those. Of course, they were only 36 roll film and I kept printed photo albums. Love the digital now, but man it is a lot of pics to sort through.

Comment

Originally posted by gmac View Post
                      I do this exactly. Also I have folders for named bucks and will copy their pictures over saved to dated sub folders. The dated sub folder allows you to keep the camera issued picture number without having to name each picture.
                      This is what we do as well, although I am experimenting with DeerLab and HuntForce before we get our cameras really rolling.

Comment

[ATTACH]714633[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]714634[/ATTACH]
                        Last edited by Encinal; 05-21-2015, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I go through every picture. Not really interested in pictures full of does so most of them get deleted along with any blank shots, unless I am checking out a new trail and trying to see their travel patterns. But every buck picture is kept from just nubbin out all the way through hard antler. I have about 21,000 from '13 and '14 on my hard drive that need to be sifted through. So I guess what I am going to do is create the subfolders by the dates on the picture.
                          From this point forward I have a folder system set up.

Comment

Are you in red river or concho or both? I have hunted both, just curious.....I love red river county, its awesome, I hunted between Clarksville and the Idabel bar, very close to the Red River, I miss that place
                            Last edited by BtheBuck; 05-21-2015, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Im in Red River mostly, hunted turkeys with a group of guys in concho. I actually grew up in Red River County. Family owns a bit of land between Clarksville and Bogota and we also have land north of Detroit. We used to duck hunt on the Red River growing up.

Comment

Working...
                              X